SimCity

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Ploes
President
President

SimCity

Post by Ploes »

I've not seen anyone mention this

New version coming 2013 :D
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: SimCity

Post by pavel1269 »

I am really looking forward new Simcity. I played every single one (Societies is not SC game for me, so not this one.) and still, I have not beaten the SC 4. Or better to say, only that one. Like every two years or so I install it and give it a new try, but that one is so damn hard for me.

I kinda like the look of it. But I don't like, that it looks more like SC 3000 than SC 4. Well, we'll see once it out.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I've always been a fan of SimCity, but 3000 is still my favourite. SimCity 4 is incredibly slow (even at a good PC) and seriously lacks an easy difficulty setting :P

Hope the new SimCity will solve these things :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Suffice to say I'm a little wary of the price... http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea/en ... SimcityUK/
Last known as: Weirdy
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

Then I will get it like two years after it has been released :/ . But if it will be origin-only game (required to run), then I will probably pass.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Ah, Origin, a necessary evil. And the price is quite high indeed. I guess I won't buy it when it's still shiny new. :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

I recently bought Cities XL 2012, was a discount on Steam, and I quite like it. I know from SC3000 that it was mostly squares and no freedom to place something diagonal, while Cities XL really gives you the freedom to just make it the way you want it (although it contains some bugs making houses disconnect form the road). I think Cities XL is more in depth also, because you have to set up a bus line completely yourself, decide which roads to use, and stuff like that, while SC was more general (although I believe SC4 made a big leap forwards wrt to the roads to use).
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

Purno wrote:I've always been a fan of SimCity, but 3000 is still my favourite. SimCity 4 is incredibly slow (even at a good PC) and seriously lacks an easy difficulty setting :P
It asks for a difficulty for each city you create on a map (but I think this only affects the available money).

I think, SimCity 4 is relatively easy. I don't say this because I consider myself a SimCity-Overlord, but if you run out of money, you get plenty of buildings that provide you with money, so this is not much of an issue. If your cities do not grow, simply start a few neighbouring cities and then open up the first city again. The first city will then grow quite fast for a while. What does not work, is building a skyscraper-megacity without neighbours.
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

In SC4, you get some extra demand for easier levels and the cash. Also, if SC would force me to plan bus network, I would be pissed. I want to build city, not play another mini-game. That's like playing war games and being general, colonel and soldier at every moment. Or like building a city in a transport tycoon game :) .

doktorhonig, that's an interesting. Nevertheless over all the advices the good players, like you, give away, I always "sink". And for the record I never had money problems. It's just ... I really don't know.
ACM
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ACM »

Purno wrote:Ah, Origin, a necessary evil.
Necessary how? This remark got me curious.

Ugh... What's with this fassion in the games industry to take the exact same name from their original groundbreaking titles to use in their upcoming ones, if not to create confusion years down the line on which game people are talking about when they mention the title. Why can't they just call it SimCity 5?
Klaasgras
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Klaasgras »

Perhaps this will be a good time to start playing Sim City 4...

I played Sim City 3000 quite some time, but it wasn´t really challenging anymore.
Here, take a look a my screenshot thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59701
Legolas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Legolas »

I'm looking forward to the release of the game. Over at Simtropolis, where I'm from, there has been a lot of buzz about SimCity.

Here's a link to the SC(2013) forums, if anyone's interested.
They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

ACM wrote:
Purno wrote:Ah, Origin, a necessary evil.
Necessary how? This remark got me curious.
You've found a workaround for playing Origin games without Origin?
Image Image
ACM
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ACM »

Purno wrote:You've found a workaround for playing Origin games without Origin?
No I haven't... I assumed you stated having Origin exist was for the better(did you?). :?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

ACM wrote:
No I haven't... I assumed you stated having Origin exist was for the better(did you?). :?
You've succesfully confused me.

To clarify myself (hopefully); I need Origin to play the games (necessary), but I don't like it (evil). Thus, it's a necessary evil.
Image Image
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

You can still survive without playing Origin games.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Purno wrote:
ACM wrote:
You've succesfully confused me.

To clarify myself (hopefully); I need Origin to play the games (necessary), but I don't like it (evil). Thus, it's a necessary evil.
In that context, yes. However, in the context that people were probably thinking; Origin is needed in the games industry but it's horrible.

Also, this latest Simcity looks like it could actually be alright, shame about the price though, that's way out of my buyable range.
Last known as: Weirdy
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

doktorhonig wrote:You can still survive without playing Origin games.
Not the workaround I was looking for :roll:
Image Image
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

SkeedR wrote:(...) shame about the price though, that's way out of my buyable range.
Those are Digital Deluxe and Limited Editions. But yes, the city sets are only included in Digital Deluxe. I will definitely not buy it.
ACM
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ACM »

Purno, The context I assumed in your original post was one where you were somewhat defending Origin. But it turns out that wasn't the case, I just misread you. Sorry about that.
doktorhonig wrote:You can still survive without playing Origin games.
Which is pretty much what my attitude towards the video games industry has been for the past few years. I can't even look at an upcoming game without first wondering what kind of digital restrictions are in place before any other equation comes in.

Return to “Off-Topic”