Service always ignored

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

tankjob
Engineer
Engineer

Service always ignored

Post by tankjob »

My observations in OTTD 1.2 about servicing of vehicles:
  • Service Intervals in Advanced Settings: ignored
  • Service Intervals in Vehicle Details: ignored
  • Service when needed at nearest depot: ignored
  • Vehicle orders with no depot orders: no service
In short, that means service intervals are always ignored. That might be a realistic behaviour ;) but the question is:

The only way to service the vehicles is by a depot order (always go) or forced servicing for trains?
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Service always ignored

Post by Andrew350 »

Sounds to me like you have breakdowns turned off (in the difficulty menu), and "disable servicing when breakdowns set to none" is enabled in the advanced settings. You may want to check that over again. ;)
tankjob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tankjob »

Thanks for the quick hint! :)

Unfortunately, I still have the prob. Breakdowns are not switched off. Actually, I noiced my problem because my vehicles eventually don't earn money anymore because of breakdowns.

"Disable servicing when ..." also not active.

Could it have something to do if you choose "Percent" instead of "days" as the unit?

When set to days servicing sems to work. But when set to percent, the outcome is not as expected. I suppose, a service interval of 80% means the vehicle get serviced when reliabilty is below 80%.

Instead, the vehicles' reliability goes down and down and still no service.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Since I don't play with breakdowns on, and haven't for years, I may not know much about it. But it seems to me that road vehicles will mostly find their way to a depot for servicing, while trains almost never do (at least after a quick test). It seems broken to me (I think it's always been, though).

I think generally the advice in this situation is to not play with breakdowns, or always use a method of forced servicing, either by using depot orders or track layouts that force trains into depots. Seems to be the only sure way for vehicles to get serviced correctly all the time ;)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I think you misunderstand the "percent" usage.
"When this switch is on the service intervals are considered to be in percents of the max. reliability rather than days. For example, if an engine has the max reliability of 80% and you set the service interval to 10% then it will go to depot at 72%."
So basically if you set it to 80% your vehicles will only service with reliability below 10% ;)
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

A few things to consider:
  • If you set these settings from the main menu, it won't affect your running game. You have to set it in-game for the changes to take effect.
  • The default servicing interval only applies to new vehicles. You have to set this in the vehicle details for existing vehicles.
  • If you have a depot in your orders list, it changes the servicing behaviour. If a depot order is unconditional, your vehicles will go to servicing when they get to that particular order. If you set the depot order to 'service', the vehicles will skip that order if no servicing is needed at the time when they get to that order. But they will never go to depot other than the one(s) you specified in the orders, and they will go to servicing only when they get to that order.
  • Make sure that a depot is accessible for the vehicles, they won't go to servicing if they don't find a depot nearby.
If these don't help, please post a savegame :)
tankjob
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [SOLVED] Service always ignored

Post by tankjob »

Thank you very much for your help. Indeed, I interpreted the percentage values wrongly.

:bow:

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”