[OTTD] NeoMaglev Track

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

KittenKoder
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] NeoMaglev Track

Post by KittenKoder »

This is the official release I am putting out. Version 1.0. The test version is still compatible and it will not break saved games.
Goals:
* Easier to see tracks for editing.
* A more common track style.

This replaces the default maglev track but has options for the fences and depots, as well as level crossings, that allow you to choose the default ones if desired. Has been tested on OpenTTD version 1.1.1
neomaglevtrack.png
neomaglevtrack.png (119.73 KiB) Viewed 861 times
Attachments
neomag.grf
(37.08 KiB) Downloaded 1050 times
You gotta enjoy the little things. - Zombieland
Level Crossing
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] NeoMaglev Track

Post by Level Crossing »

The North American signals are not included, correct?

I like it! :D
Like my avatar? See my screenshot thread
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

I notice a slight alignment issue on the level crossings, and the stations... Well, i don't suppose i need to say.
KittenKoder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KittenKoder »

Those stations do not obey track replacements ..... but I like them so I use them anyway. The level crossing lights just plain suck, I couldn't think of anything better so I just tossed them together anyway. The US Lights are not included, that's just the GRF I use for my games all the time.

Level crossing for maglev I don't believe should be allowed, there's a setting in this GRF to turn them off of course, so I didn't put much thought into them and only included them to show what it looks like. If someone wishes to offer up something better, I will probably include it. The goal with these is not to make perfect tracks, the goal was to make them easier to see where they go when laying them in the game while also make them visually appealing and fit in. ;) But ultimately it was to learn about NML so I can make some bigger GRFs.
EyeMWing
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EyeMWing »

The level crossings look alright to me. They're a bit funny at first, but if you think about it, it makes sense. The train bed is raised, and then has the raised center bar to provide a magnetic point for levitation and directional stability. A road vehicle couldn't hump up across those without impeding their purpose - so they drop all the way to road grade. Only the center bar is there, but at a lower height so you get levitation but not propulsion and directional control.

Of course, in reality this would mean the train is literally just hopping between two segments of track at a level crossing - which would probably physically work given a straight-line runup, calm weather and sufficient speed, but more likely would make the whole thing so impractical it would only be solveable by not having level crossings at all.

... Another hilariously impractical possibility would be having the entire center bar embedded in the road and raised up as the crossing gates closed. You might be able to do that in TTD, actually - make it part of the rear signal's sprite.
RUST: Revived US Trainset - DevZone - Discussion - Current release: preview1
KittenKoder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KittenKoder »

EyeMWing wrote:The level crossings look alright to me. They're a bit funny at first, but if you think about it, it makes sense. The train bed is raised, and then has the raised center bar to provide a magnetic point for levitation and directional stability. A road vehicle couldn't hump up across those without impeding their purpose - so they drop all the way to road grade. Only the center bar is there, but at a lower height so you get levitation but not propulsion and directional control.

Of course, in reality this would mean the train is literally just hopping between two segments of track at a level crossing - which would probably physically work given a straight-line runup, calm weather and sufficient speed, but more likely would make the whole thing so impractical it would only be solveable by not having level crossings at all.

... Another hilariously impractical possibility would be having the entire center bar embedded in the road and raised up as the crossing gates closed. You might be able to do that in TTD, actually - make it part of the rear signal's sprite.
Your last idea could be cool, but yeah, as I said before, I don't believe in level crossings for maglevs at all anyway, so it's not a major part of my focus. If someone else wants to make them I'll include it and of course give them credit, but don't count on me improving them at all.

Return to “Graphics Releases”