OpenGFX+ Industries

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: OpenGFX+ Industries

Post by Terkhen »

Bob_Mackenzie: Thanks for the suggestions. I will open a task and we will check them out before the next release. The one about removing "valuables" has a problem, though. Only the banks producing valuables suffer that restriction, the banks accepting Gold and/or Diamonds appear during map generation fine with the default industries. We need some way of pointing which bank suffers the restriction.

3iff: I can't reproduce it either with only OpenGFX+ Industries enabled. Can you please post your NewGRF list?
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

I'll check with a clean newgrf list and see if I can determine what is going on. I'm always suspicious of these 'bugs' as this one is so obvious I'm sure you would have already spotted it.

More info soon.

A clean newgrf set, just this industry set...and it works as I would expect. No duplicated industry lists either.
I'll investigate more to see if I can locate the incompatible newgrfs.

Sorry about the false alarm.

The culprit appears to be Station names from nearby industries 1.2.3

It causes doubled-up industry lists in the minimap and causes some factories to report incorrect cargo acceptance (as reported above). I can certainly live without that grf.

I shall be trying the industry grf properly tonight. Looks like fun.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

3iff wrote: The culprit appears to be Station names from nearby industries 1.2.3
Ah, thanks indeed. That's an industry NewGRF on its own and should not be used in conjunction with another industry NewGRF. I added it to our list of compatibility checks.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

When I first scanned my existing newgrfs, I didn't consider that an industry grf...but it does do some of the things that your grf is doing. Glad to help.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

3iff wrote:When I first scanned my existing newgrfs, I didn't consider that an industry grf...but it does do some of the things that your grf is doing. Glad to help.
That's probably also why I missed it when creating the compatibility list ;-)
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

From a test last night.

I'm having problems finding train sets that can carry all available cargos. Added copper/fruit/food/water to a temperate game.

UKRS, DBset (with either ecs or firs upgrade), original with added cargos all failed to provide wagons to carry at least one of the additional cargos now available. Didn't try 2CC, NARS or any ather country specific trainset. Also, for some cargos, inappropriate wagons were offered...carrying water in a bolster wagon? Steel in a tanker?

I had the indusrty set earlier in the grf list than the trainset. not sure if that would be relevant. It's also possible that I need to set a parameter or two on the trainset...didn't think of that until just now. I haven't tried loading multiple trainsets and I tend not to play that way.

UKRS2 did seem ok and that's what I'm currently using.
Using eGRVTS for road vehicles did not cause problems. Vehicles available for all cargos.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

3iff wrote: UKRS, DBset (with either ecs or firs upgrade), original with added cargos all failed to provide wagons to carry at least one of the additional cargos(...)
Yes, that's a short-coming of old trainsets which do not support a cargo translation table. They rely on a specific cargo to be found in a particular place and order - something which the ECS or FIRS add-on for the dbset hacks around for those particular industry sets.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

3iff wrote:Using eGRVTS for road vehicles did not cause problems. Vehicles available for all cargos.
It's good to hear eGRVTS is working well. I did design it with cargo flexibility in mind, and do let me know if anything goes wrong...
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Zephyris wrote:
3iff wrote:Using eGRVTS for road vehicles did not cause problems. Vehicles available for all cargos.
It's good to hear eGRVTS is working well. I did design it with cargo flexibility in mind, and do let me know if anything goes wrong...
Haven't actually used any road vehicles in this game as yet but I checked there were available vehicles for each cargo and an applicable set of vehicles were shown. I'll have more time over the weekend and I'll make an effort to try every cargo.

I will of course report anything unexpected.

Forgot to mention I haven't looked at ships or planes to see if they have problems with the industry grf. I don't use these transport types very often but I'll have a look it I get time.
Obi42
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Obi42 »

Terkhen wrote:
Terkhen wrote:There are no plans for introducing new industries (at least on my part).
It seems that I was wrong :)

Since temperate houses do not accept Food, if Food is active in temperate a new industry will appear. The Shop only appears in towns and its only purpose is to accept Food.
I really like the Shop industry, and would love to be able to include it for food (and possibly goods) on non-temperate maps the same way we can now control the other industries. I've never liked that Food and Goods went straight to the "house" tiles...

But mostly, thanks for making a great NewGRF. ECS and the like add too many industries for my taste, but being able to use all the base industries has made gameplay a lot more fun for me. :D
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Obi42 wrote:I really like the Shop industry, and would love to be able to include it for food (and possibly goods) on non-temperate maps the same way we can now control the other industries. I've never liked that Food and Goods went straight to the "house" tiles...

But mostly, thanks for making a great NewGRF. ECS and the like add too many industries for my taste, but being able to use all the base industries has made gameplay a lot more fun for me. :D
Thank you, and welcome to the forums! :)

In the other climates, most of the houses accept food. Therefore, the shop would serve no purpose because any location where you could place the shop would accept food anyways. The same argument can be used with goods, with the difference that not all houses accept goods. I'm not sure if allowing all towns to accept goods via the shop (ignoring the population requisite) would be a good idea.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Obi42 wrote: But mostly, thanks for making a great NewGRF. ECS and the like add too many industries for my taste, but being able to use all the base industries has made gameplay a lot more fun for me. :D
My thoughts exactly. Allows me to play with extra industries but without the complexity of some of the other industry sets.

Tried using OpenGFX industries and OpenGFX trains together and they appear to work fine with no problems. Excellent.
Tafidis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tafidis »

So using opengfx+ industries with the other opengfx+ vehicle sets will ensure you can carry all the cargos? Hmm, I am inclined to give this a try, I have played with the opengfx+ vehicle sets and they are great, so this looks like a logical next step.

Disclaimer: I am not much of a "newgrf" person, I 've played with DB set (the old one) in TTDPATCH and other vehicle sets mostly, but have never tried industry newgrfs.

EDIT: I started a Greek translation of the strings on MS Wordpad, but it doesn't save the characters properly for some reason. I have the language properly installed on winXP pro (sp3). Any help?
Last edited by Tafidis on 16 May 2011 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
Citizens Celebrate! First train arrives in <insert your favourite town/station name here>!
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Tafidis wrote:So using opengfx+ industries with the other opengfx+ vehicle sets will ensure you can carry all the cargos? Hmm, I am inclined to give this a try, I have played with the opengfx+ vehicle sets and they are great, so this looks like a logical next person.
All OpenGFX+ sets should work fine together. If they don't, it is a bug. Also, any vehicle set that supports cargo labels / classes should work fine with OpenGFX+ Industries.
Tafidis wrote:EDIT: I started a Greek translation of the strings on MS Wordpad, but it doesn't save the characters properly for some reason. I have the language properly installed on winXP pro (sp3). Any help?
I don't use Wordpad so I can't help you much with it, but it seems that the text file I linked is encoded in ANSI. To save non ANSI characters properly you need to convert the file to another encoding format, such as UTF-8.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

In Windows in Notepad you can save as UTF-8 by going to File>Save As... then select UTF-8 from the encoding drop down menu in the bottom right corner by the save button...
Tafidis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tafidis »

Thanks, I will try it again
Citizens Celebrate! First train arrives in <insert your favourite town/station name here>!
Deicide
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Deicide »

Bug of feature?
Attachments
Безымянный.png
Безымянный.png (20.3 KiB) Viewed 5678 times
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Deicide wrote:Bug of feature?
Question or announcement?

Please be more descriptive when posting a question.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

rather bug. It should consume all coal. Thanks for the report.

EDIT: do you have by chance a savegame for me?
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Ah, I've seen that too, regarding oil deliveries to a refinery I think. I don't have a savegame with me but I'll bring one tomorrow if I remember.

Return to “Graphics Releases”