OpenGFX+ Landscape

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

OpenGFX+ Landscape

Post by planetmaker »

Hi,

I just noticed that one of the newest members of the OpenGFX+ family has not yet its own thread: OpenGFX+ Landscape. It's purpose is to allow to add and modify certain aspects of the landscape appearance. It's still in a very early development stage and nothing really is finished, but the main features will include
- an option to turn off the gridlines
- a number of NewObjects which make for good eye candy in the landscape

The set currently contains graphics by Zephyris (all ground tiles w/o grids, wind power plant), andythenorth (wind power plant) and kamnet (rock instead of transmitter).

As a taster attached a screenshot on how it looks right now and the current development version. The home of this NewGRF is the DevZone where also the nightly builds of this NewGRF can be found.

Known bugs: the 'no grid' option still has flaws with roads and rail tiles and some other special tiles as well.

Enjoy :-)
Attachments
wind powerplants
wind powerplants
wind_powerplant2.png (236.3 KiB) Viewed 49120 times
ogfx-landscape-nightly-r21.zip
r21
(594.07 KiB) Downloaded 1449 times
2006TTD
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: OpenGFX+ Landscape

Post by 2006TTD »

I'm looking forward to see more eye candy! :)
Perhaps some alphabet and number tiles can be designed too.
On the other hand, how would you distinguish transmitters and rocks? Wouldn't it be too difficult? :wink:
Face the fearful with no fear, and its fearfulness disappears.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Excellent work by all! :bow:

Really looking forward to trying this. Already using "NoGridLand" and I love it. I'm one of those OTTD players who considers it a virtual model railroad rather than a "game." 8) Besides building a profitable transport company, I like using various station GRFs to create pleasing graphics. Maybe once we have this wonderful tool for adding "eye candy" graphics, I can finally persuade some generous person to draw a North American style water tower, sand tower and coaling tower. :) These would be better as "eye candy" objects since I try not to have station catchment areas overlap if at all possible.
Who is John Galt?
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Maybe it would be a good idea to allow the default transmitter and lighthouse objects to be built too.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

oberhümer wrote:Maybe it would be a good idea to allow the default transmitter and lighthouse objects to be built too.
Yes, it would.

Patches to that end are also accepted ;-)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

2006TTD wrote:On the other hand, how would you distinguish transmitters and rocks? Wouldn't it be too difficult? :wink:
The idea of replacing a transmitter with a rock is for early games where transmitters didn't exist or were not prevalent.
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timmaexx »

Menno, I really loved these transmitters in 1837 ;)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Timmaexx wrote:Menno, I really loved these transmitters in 1837 ;)
That's why it is a parameter :-P
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

while i find it unlikely that i'll ever use this set, i still have a suggestion:

option to replace brown grass with green grass in arctic (alpine-style)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I think I have the sprites for that somewhere... I'll have a look.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

planetmaker wrote:
oberhümer wrote:Maybe it would be a good idea to allow the default transmitter and lighthouse objects to be built too.
Yes, it would.

Patches to that end are also accepted ;-)
Coming soon to a download site near you. :wink:

This already exists for TTDPatch but the code is undergoing a major makeover thanks to Lakie's latest patchwork (r2366). The result will be:
1. Support for steep slopes
2. [UNIV] support for both TTDPatch and OpenTTD
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I think these are all the required sprites...
Attachments
temperate ground tiles snow transition new new 8bpp.png
(47.04 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
temperate ground tiles snow transition new new nogrid 8bpp.png
(45.94 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Have you thought about including Snow Line mod in OpenGFX+ Landscape?

Also, I made a suggestion in chat awhile back of including something similar to Grassy Knoll (replace player-owned land w/ brown tiles & sign with grass sprites), and have an option for all the sprites to be surrounded by 2cc-colored fence. Current if I have GK and OGFX+L loaded, I lose the signs but I'm back to brown ground sprites. :-(
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

kamnet wrote:Have you thought about including Snow Line mod in OpenGFX+ Landscape?

Also, I made a suggestion in chat awhile back of including something similar to Grassy Knoll (replace player-owned land w/ brown tiles & sign with grass sprites), and have an option for all the sprites to be surrounded by 2cc-colored fence. Current if I have GK and OGFX+L loaded, I lose the signs but I'm back to brown ground sprites. :-(
I just thought about the SnowLineMod being included here might be a good idea. So: thought yes. Done anything in that respect: no(t yet); it would require a re-write as SnowLineMod is written in NFO and OpenGFX+ Landscape in NML, so a simple copy&paste of my previous grf fails here.

Also the idea with the CC-fenced area as bought company area is still something I fancy (though it can't quite replace the bought area sprite, you'd have to build the "fenced area object" instead is still something I plan to consider. But it's a lot of work to get that into the game as I'll have to query the ground tile and consider every slope possible for every ground tile variation (climates) possible (or I didn't yet see an easier road).

Another idea is to allow a switch to select the ground tiles used independent of the actual climate - and to include also temperate - snow transition tiles for alternative use in the arctic climate.

I'm quite open to collaboration on this (or other) sets, I don't have to be the single code author ;-)
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timmaexx »

Hello,

it is really cool to see ogfx+ landscape released. Hopefully, it will be used on some servers :)
But there is something, that needs, IMO, a change: Please raise the price of the Turbines. 1.200€ are too cheap. If not, the map would be flooded with windturbine-parcs...
Wikipedia lists the price of a turbine on 3,57 Million Euro. As this price is too high, I think 20.000€ might be good as well ;)

Greets,
Tim
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

A small teaser from the current work on this set. The Alpine theme is not yet finished, though. Some sprites are still being drawn. The snow line is sinoidal and configurable in both height and amplitude (also for unmodified arctic climate), thus it obsoletes the Snow Line Mod.
Attachments
teaser
teaser
Sarfingbridge Transport, 16-12-2024.png (92.26 KiB) Viewed 47994 times
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Wouldn't it be nice to have some small box (for the electricity cables, and entrance of the wind mill) at the base of the wind mill?

A square of some (white-ish) gravel may also work.
SamMacca
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SamMacca »

Alberth wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to have some small box (for the electricity cables, and entrance of the wind mill) at the base of the wind mill?

Yeah, that'd make it look better.. or a concrete base?
enecron_wind_turbine_bottom.jpg
enecron_wind_turbine_bottom.jpg (38.46 KiB) Viewed 47929 times
ImageImageImage

James Hetfield.. God..
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Alberth wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to have some small box (for the electricity cables, and entrance of the wind mill) at the base of the wind mill?

That's indeed an idea for a variant. But most wind turbines I know have nothing special there, just a door in the tower, that's all. Also the off-shore version surely wouldn't have a cable box near the water surface ;-)
Muzzly
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Muzzly »

Thanks for transmitter :-)

It would be nice if in early years they could look like this or this windmill.

Return to “Graphics Development”