OpenGFX+ Trains development thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Edd.Dragon
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenGFX+ Trains development and translations thread

Post by Edd.Dragon »

Xotic750 wrote:And here is the second sheet showing full loads (there are loading sprites too)
I could not believe my eyes! :bow:

This wagons will stimulate creating of multy-cargo eyecandy trains! :D
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Updated the Asia Star model by changing the livery and added some more detail, it looks a little less plain now :)
Attachments
New livery and detail
New livery and detail
asia_star_livery.png (33.79 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

Nice! If all 32 bpp-ez is going to have this quality, it's going to deliver! :)

Some things that would maybe make it even nicer: there's one train in which the pax wagons has one line of CC pixels on the upper side in / and \ view (can't tell which, I usually stop before T.I.M. is introduced). Maybe this could be two lines, because now it looks a little bit weird. Also, maybe some sort of anti-aliasing would help? And last but not least, maybe adding some benches / people inside would make it even nicer? Maybe it's a lot of work initially and there's a risk of a repetitive pattern, but it could pay off.

Just some thoughts, I'm not an artist so I can't tell if it will help and if the extra effort is worth it.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

I think you are talking about the standard PAX and unfortunately there is no more room at the top to increase the 2nd CC, at best I may be able to move it to the bottom instead when I go back and review things.

With respect to anti-aliasing, this is not possible as you cannot automate the creation of the 2cc masks. What has been done instead to compensate for the lack of anti-aliasing is that the models are rendered at 4x the maximum ottd zoom and then scaled down to the appropriate sizes, this gives a much better look. I have tried rendering with 8x the maximum ottd zoom, this creates images that are 4096x4096 and they look even better when scaled down but the time to render and post-process the images is excessive for a small visible gain, and I don't have the memory either.

Presently the official ottd window material is not transparent enough to view internal objects, so first this would have to be changed and then I'm not sure how much of the internal details you would actually see, even fully zoomed in, and anything other than full zoom would definitely not be noticeable.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I wonder: what is "official OpenTTD window material"? And what stops us devising or finding a better one? :-)
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Tonights inclusion is the first of the steamers, the Ginzu A4
Attachments
0006_in4x.png
0006_in4x.png (10.42 KiB) Viewed 3164 times
Fanda666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fanda666 »

I want to express my admiration for Xotic750, great job!
Only I can not understand why you can not edit an existing sprite graphics in 32-bit color?
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Newly updated the renders and sprites.

The original renders are now cropped during the rendering process, which reduces the file sizes by about 50% (as sugessted by Planetmaker). This should help those that pulling the source to build themselves.

I've spent some time working on the lighting and materials to lighten the models as it was a commonly suggested that they were too dark.

I've changed the window material to be transparent and have a slight touch of violet to mimic thermal insulation glass.

Many models now have extra detail on the roof, rear facing read and white lamps, and passenger vehicles now have seats inside that can be glimpsed through the new glass material (they look red but you can't see much of any detail, as I thought).

No new models unfortunately, it have taken a week to make these changes and re-render everything, but I hope you find updated sprites more to your liking.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Here are 2 screenshots, showing the vehicle line-up and assorted wagons, and how things now look on the GUI.
Attachments
Slanbridge Transport, 31st Jul 2010.png
(299.95 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Slanbridge Transport, 18th Aug 2010.png
(276.47 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Looks cool, but I think the 'Dash' DMU should have a corridor connexion, as it appears to on the original sprites.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

supermop wrote:Looks cool, but I think the 'Dash' DMU should have a corridor connexion, as it appears to on the original sprites.
It already does :)
Attachments
0002.png
0002.png (77.76 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Ah, they should be on the Yellow cab end too:
DashDMU.PNG
DashDMU.PNG (24.38 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
Should be based on something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprinter_(train)

Some types have flat fronts, but the corridor connection seems more spiritually correct.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

supermop wrote:Ah, they should be on the Yellow cab end too:
DashDMU.PNG
Should be based on something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprinter_(train)

Some types have flat fronts, but the corridor connection seems more spiritually correct.
That all depends if it is a Sprinter 150/1 or the Sprinter 150/2

I based the model on the Sprinter 150/1 as the Dash wiki does not specify, and I think the Sprinter 150/2 looks ugly, and the former has many more photos to work from :)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Awesome. They look really good.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Zephyris wrote:Awesome. They look really good.
Thanks. :)

The nightly build has now been completed for easier download and install.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Tonight, the Ginzu gets more detail :)
Attachments
0006.png
0006.png (83.42 KiB) Viewed 2729 times
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Here is the first render of the Ginzu with its tender.

@Planetmaker: We need to decide upon how we are going to add tenders to the set, whether as wagons or articulated and any special properties that they provide.
Attachments
a4+tender.png
a4+tender.png (117.75 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Very awesome trains! :bow:

The A4's tender looks a little odd though - the letters are closer to the ends than to each other, and are higher than the loco number - they should be the same height. The first is presumably simple, the second would need changes to the windows or handrail and might not be worth doing.
See this image for what I mean.

Also, I think a corridor on the Dash would help differentiate it from the M-M, I find it hard to spot the difference, especially when zoomed out a bit or from the side.

Sorry to nitpick, especially as I'm not the one doing all the work :oops: . Hopefully it's not too irritating :P .
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

FLHerne wrote:Very awesome trains! :bow:

The A4's tender looks a little odd though - the letters are closer to the ends than to each other, and are higher than the loco number - they should be the same height. The first is presumably simple, the second would need changes to the windows or handrail and might not be worth doing.
See this image for what I mean.

Also, I think a corridor on the Dash would help differentiate it from the M-M, I find it hard to spot the difference, especially when zoomed out a bit or from the side.

Sorry to nitpick, especially as I'm not the one doing all the work :oops: . Hopefully it's not too irritating :P .

I will fix the spacings on the tender letters (you can't read them once things are scaled down anyway), it's more to give the right shading along the side. With regard to the height, I will align the tender letters with those on the train, it would really not be good to alter the windows and rails as it would change the feel of the loco just to get the letters perfectly centered.

I'll have a look at changing the Dash to a Sprinter 150/2 instead of the current Sprinter 150/1 look, not sure I will be able to fit the drivers windows and the corridor into the space available.

Return to “Graphics Development”