BR Set 0.3 - somewhere between 0%-100% done

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Will having the two options in one GRF mean twice the number of sprites?
Or would they be completely disabled and not count towards the sprite limit?
If not, it would be better to have BRSet(w).grf and BRSetp(w).grf (like tempset)
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Shrug. :)
Ronstar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ronstar »

Well, in true BR style, "The graphics set arriving at http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk/ttd will be delayed by approximately 24 hrs. This is due to leaves on the keyboard."

As for the player colours option in the parameters, at the moment it works by skipping at initialization the un-needed graphics. Theoretically, I think that means that only the required set is ever loaded so memory for only the one set is needed.

However, the file itself is now getting quite large, and probably by v0.2 will be split. At least the reorganisation done to allow the parameter to work will make this a lot easier todo.

Chris - The fleet hidden in Box Tunnel. This is one of those old stories spread by the die-hard steam fans, akin to King Arthur lying asleep waiting to come back and reclaim the day! They call it the "Strategic Reserve".

There is at least something to base such ideas on, though. There is a siding inside Box Tunnel with a station. Word has it that this was planned as a withdrawal place for government should the need ever arise. The eastern end of Box Tunnel consequentally has two portals - one large bore for the Great Western main line, then adjacent on the right is the smaller bore leading to the station. A casual look at this portal shows that it is not actually large enough to allow full sized engines to pass through, however.

Another place where the Strategic Reserve is supposedly hidden is Woodhead tunnel between Sheffield and Manchester on the former Great Central main line. Woodhead was originally a single track tunnel, then a second bore was made two allow two-track running, but the two small bores were eventually deemed too stifling for engine crews, and so a third large double track bore was made.

All of these are now abandoned, the line having closed shortly after it was electrified, and so a the story came about that there are now hundreds of steam engines stored in there.

Alas, full records of the withdrawal and sale or scrapping of every steam loco in this country exist, and so the idea of hundreds having been kept by "in case" is frankly ludicrous!

Ronnie
Any TT, TTD or OTTD sprites I have ever posted to this forum or elsewhere may be used as-is or in edited form free of charge for any purpose without credit in perpetuity.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Still, I could see a good movie script being written around it, though. Post-apocalyptic-England movies seem to be in style just now.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Something I had thought about - a long time ago, with a Galaxy bar far away - was using the monorail/maglev "leftover" system for something light-rail-ish, metro systems and the like. I suppose this would be a simple case of just making the relevant trains (e.g. Croydon Tramlink, London Underground, etc.) run on the monorail. Note that this is purely different stock to run on the monorail at lower speeds, and not a real tram or underground implementation.

Of course, this is just a thought, and probably won't turn up until we get some idea of what vehicle slots are left after it's all done.

Oh, and I've a small surprise for you all. It's only 5 minutes' work, so nothing spectacular, but it's a start.
Attachments
Can you tell what it is yet?
Can you tell what it is yet?
apt-test.png (1.1 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
Endre
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Endre »

The Advanced Passenger Train?
Indivisibiliter ac inseparabiliter
troopper5
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by troopper5 »

Chris... Your homepage isn't working so I'll ask this here...

Where is BR-set shortened? And where can I download it?
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

ChrisCF wrote:Oh, and I've a small surprise for you all. It's only 5 minutes' work, so nothing spectacular, but it's a start.
I'm impressed - regardless of what it really is (I only know the really famous BR trains). Very nice for 5 minutes work.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
troopper5
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by troopper5 »

Thanks for that link, but as there are DB-set and BR-set, I'm quite sure that they won't work together, so I'll have to have two separated newgrfw.cfg files right?
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

No, just add a # in front of the grf's you want disabled, eg.

Code: Select all

#newgrf/DBSetw.grf
newgrf/BRSetw.grf
To Satrt a BRSet game, then remove the '#' and the BR set should automatically load with that savegame rather than the DB set.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Raichase wrote:I'm impressed - regardless of what it really is (I only know the really famous BR trains). Very nice for 5 minutes work.
The Swallow/Executive Black passenger cars, the top of the HST, and part of the Eurostar nose (not to mention a minute or so of fiddling) gives, as Endre correctly identified, the (in)famous APT. Famously, a BBC documentary aired on the day of its first outing contained the caption:
The APT ran in passenger service for the first time today.
A standard InterCity train followed 10 minutes behind, in case the APT broke down.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Is there goin to be a new gresley A4 or a new model :?:
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Ah, the APT. Oliver Keating did a nice page on that, I'll see if I can find it...

http://www.o-keating.com/hsr/apt.htm

Thats a decent site. Sadly, the other links I had in my favorites were broken... :(
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Endre
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Endre »

ChrisCF wrote:The Swallow/Executive Black passenger cars, the top of the HST, and part of the Eurostar nose (not to mention a minute or so of fiddling) gives, as Endre correctly identified, the (in)famous APT.
Hehe! I won! I won! I knew it, because it's in the Usborne book of inventions and discoveries. Is it added to your BRset already?
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Endre wrote:
ChrisCF wrote:[...] as Endre correctly identified, the (in)famous APT.
Hehe! I won! I won! I knew it, because it's in the Usborne book of inventions and discoveries.
Are you sure that you didn't just read his filename?
Endre
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Endre »

Well, kinda, but you have to know what APT means! And I'm not British, and when it was tested, I was too young to pay attention for that! So, I knew that there was an APT-abbreviated Advanced Passenger Train, and when I saw it, I wrote the answer.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Endre wrote:Is it added to your BRset already?
I'm still working on those graphics. Expect to wait a while before it arrives. Just like the real APT.

0.11 has arrived.
Endre
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Endre »

Okay, waiting...waiting...waiting :lol:
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

.....waiting, waiting, waiting......

Return to “Graphics Development”