BR Set 0.3 - somewhere between 0%-100% done

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

ph33r my l33t gR4f1X0r sk1llz :P

As an afterword, I'm thinking that the steam locos can probably use the current graphics, or slightly modified versions of.

Also, as previously stated, not all of the above are working sprites. Some in the "New" (not "Newer") panel are working, but only in some orientations. The 86/87 and the 37 are good for all directions. The logo on the 47 was added afterwards, since it shares its sprites with the 25. This will change if people want the Large Logo there to discern between the two (I have confused 25s and 47s in my network before now).
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

I assume the new wagons have gradual loding effects
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Never make such assumptions :P

I haven't got that far (the stuff in the "newer" panel isn't implemented yet - they've just seen some rather ugly hacks applied :) ), and it might be a little pointless in the case of some wagons where you can't actually see the load level in RL anyway (e.g. the HTA coal truck - I might pinch the current images for classic HAA coal trucks, which look similar to the ones in the game). Where it is appropriate (i.e. when uncovered cars are used - possibly with a tarp-enhanced graphic ;) ), then I might see about gradual loading - many will probably be stolen from where they already are. The main exception here is the new concept steel cars, which will deomnstrate three states, with {0,1,2} batches of steel product (plate rolls or wire reels) in the slots.

Another thing - the current in-game sprites are in the main GRF file. I'm still trying to get my head around the "replacement" machanism.

Next task, prepare some concept graphics for passenger/mail cars. This might take some even more clever fakery.

At this point, might I thank those peope that have demonstrated interest, without which I'd have probably not bothered getting past the proposal step.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Oh, we're interested all right. England has lots of scope for interesting train graphics.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

I'm trying to find something on which to base the APT.

*digs around in the TT sprites for ideas*
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Well, the work so far is to a high standard, so I am sure that you will find something :). Perhaps the T.I.M. with a flatter front (I remember a discussion about which train fitted which real world counterpart and people were saying the T.I.M. could be the APT with some slight modifications. I can't for the life of me remember what modifications were needed, or where I remember this from... darn)

In short: Keep up the good work, and things will turn out great!
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Funnily enough, I have the TIM pencilled in as a 91, though since that was developed from the APT, I can see how it might work. I have been experimenting with the BR103 from the DB set (purely from a perspective of colouring technique) and found that it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with goold old APT "Executive II" livery coaches for it. I've a faked depot window with some concepts of how the 43, 91, 170 and 143 might look (though the passenger car graphics may need adjusting first), once I have more info on some of the typical consists, I'll get more up.

One more thing. Should anyone feel they can do a better job, feel free to modify the graphics I've already put up (reduce pixel size by 50% first), or post some concepts for things I haven't yet done.

Another more thing (;)). I know that shades of blue are used to represent the pc usually. How do I get actual shades of blue onto a sprite without them being translated? Just that I'm considering putting blue corners onto the 170.
Dinges
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Dinges »

There must be some other colors that are blue exept for the changing colors...
Dinges

Who is the other person in me?

my Blog (dutch) - my Last.fm profile

Owner of http://ttdgraphics.cjb.net/ ! Temp addr: http://ttdgraphics.owenrudge.com/
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Yes, but I don't know which blues in the palette are responsible for player colour mapping, which is why we could do with some palette documentation.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

In the near future (couple of days) I am going to try and play with the sprites again, and look at trying to make sense of the nfo files (actions 2 and/or 3 (cargo?) still seem a little difficult to grasp - but that's not an immediate concern) - maybe even with the addition of some new tools at the end of it :)
I'll also be looking at the palette to establish which colours do what, which blues are player colours, etc.
scottishasttdx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by scottishasttdx »

The 43 (SH 125) was also used as a royal mail train. Perhaps you could make it (and the mail wagons) red with yellow/player colour stripes.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think BR and its predecessor railways had maybe the classiest variety of passenger/mail liveries of any national rail network other than the Japanese. I'd love to see all the various colour schemes well represented. Of course this would take about forever I suppose.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

I agree with you. Perhaps you should talk to MB about using the verious liveries feature that he used on the DB set. I'm sure he would be glad to help out.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

It should be possible to have two editions, like the tempset.

BR set - original edition : All locos in original colours, associated rolling stock in liveries for the time.

BR set - player edition : All locos in "appropriate" liveries (i.e. same pattern, different colour), same for rolling stock.

Again, we're looking far down the line. I've also got a few more datasheets to work on (for when it comes to creating the set proper). Not to mention some coursework, which needs to come first.
Fuzzy Logix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fuzzy Logix »

would it be possible for someone to make this into a single file like the DB set?

btw can't wait for it to be finished
Let there Be AI:
Let there Be Fuzzy Logix
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

That is what I'm aiming for. tr*.grf hacks are just plain ugly, and liable to break things ;)
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Just thought this would interest you. This person seems to be your main rival in the BR set business, and perhaps you guys should work together? :)).

http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk/ttd/
Ronnie Clark wrote:Hey all new graphics fans,

Just reporting that I've finally got round to putting what I have of the BR
Set on-line at http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk/ttd/

It's a very bare-bones set at the moment (no rail vehicles before c.1970),
on a very bare-bones website. But I thought I should stick it out there for
comments.

I'd particularly appreciate any comments and help from those in the know-how
about GRF coding, as at the moment I don't think it's a very well put
together file.

So please, take a look, but bear in mind that I already have a list of
modifications I need to work on (running costs for the earlier vehicles
especially).

Ronnie
--
http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk

Due to recent viruspams, any email containing the word "Microsoft" will not
be received.
ImageImage
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

He doesn't have a Windows version, and he doesn't have any viewable graphics of them, so I can't see how good they are, but there sure are a lot of them! This does look like an excellent opportunity for cooperation.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Hmm, I would assume that the conversion is in progress. I got the e-mail forwarded to mne by MB, who told me that Ronnie has been working on this for a while - ask Josef, he say the start of it I think :)).
ImageImage
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

*hurries excitedly to write an email*

Having looked at the site, "I want my APT!" (think "Money For Nothing")

Return to “Graphics Development”