Yet another multiplayer problem

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Yet another multiplayer problem

Post by Vitus »

Hello,

I've got problem with mulitplayer via internet. The server list is always empty and I'm not able to connect to server directly either.

And yes, I have router. However, I forwarded the port and the problem still persists. I have no idea whether it is problem on my side or not. My knowledge about this kind of network is kinda low, but I'll try to answer question as best as I can.

Sorry, if this has been answered before.

Thanks!
FHS
Director
Director

Re: Yet another multiplayer problem

Post by FHS »

Try to click on find servers
Osseblok
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Osseblok »

Indeed, try clicking on find servers as FHS says.
Otherwise if that doesn't work you can always run the program that can be downloaded from this site: http://www.portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm.
With this program you can check if your port is indeed opened as was the problem with me, i opened (forwarded) the right ports on my router but it overruled itself or something but with this program i came to the solution;).
Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vitus »

I know it's sometimes better to ask, but that was the first thing I did.

I tried the program that Osseblok linked (thanks!) and the port seems to be forwarded and I'm pretty sure that I have exception for openttd.exe in firewall.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

You need to have the port open both for tcp and for udp.
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

No, you don't. To CONNECT to a multiplayer server, you don't have to forward a port. Forwarding only helps other clients connect to you.
Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vitus »

Bennythen00b wrote:No, you don't. To CONNECT to a multiplayer server, you don't have to forward a port. Forwarding only helps other clients connect to you.
Well, the question is, where is the problem then?

Just to be sure: as Alberth said, I tried to check both protocols and the UDP doesn't seem to be open although the router is set to forward both.
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

As FHS said, click "Find Servers".
Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vitus »

I said that I've done it already. Returns only empty list.
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Ow, ok.
Chillosophy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Chillosophy »

Does it work when you (temporary) disable all virusscanners and firewalls?
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Make sure you set 'connection' to 'internet' before pressing 'Find servers', otherwise it'll try to find servers in your local network instead of requesting a list of global servers.
Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vitus »

I checked it and it was set to "internet", so no problem here. I tried to disable firewall and anti-virus, but no success.

Thanks for the replies so far!

edit: The port number is 3979, right?
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Vitus wrote: edit: The port number is 3979, right?
3979 TCP, 3979 UDP, 3978 UDP; if I'm right.
Bennythen00b wrote:No, you don't. To CONNECT to a multiplayer server, you don't have to forward a port. Forwarding only helps other clients connect to you.
On some routers you must open every single port explicitely (in example: Siemens C2-010-I for outgoing and incomig traffic; a horrible job).

Tschö, Auge
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Auge wrote:On some routers you must open every single port explicitely (in example: Siemens C2-010-I for outgoing and incomig traffic; a horrible job).
Hmm... so to be able to use the internet you first need to open the DNS ports for incoming and outgoing traffic? And the port for http? And the dhcp ports to be able to automatically assign IPs to local computers?
Does that mean you need to connect to it via a serial cable so you can open the remote configuration port?

I would return the stupid thing immediately because it just plain sucks.
Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vitus »

Just wondering, because I do indeed have some problems with UDP ports (both 3979 and 3978). Do I need those in order to connect to multiplayer game? (according to Bennythen00b I don't, but well... just for sure)
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

You need those to be able to get the server list and do the initial query whether the server is online. However... you can also directly connect to a server if you know the IP address and the port, but you have to do that from the (OS) console.
Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vitus »

I guess this is the problem then. Thanks for the help!

I know this isn't OpenTTD issue, but I'd really appreciate if someone could advise me. I've forwarded both protocols for the port but the port checker says, that the UDP one isn't open. Any idea what could cause this? Thanks!
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Rubidium wrote:
Auge wrote:On some routers you must open every single port explicitely (in example: Siemens C2-010-I for outgoing and incomig traffic; a horrible job).
Hmm... so to be able to use the internet you first need to open the DNS ports for incoming and outgoing traffic? And the port for http? And the dhcp ports to be able to automatically assign IPs to local computers?
Every single port (POP, SMTP, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS and so on) except DHCP (Why I should open it to WAN?).
Rubidium wrote:Does that mean you need to connect to it via a serial cable so you can open the remote configuration port?
The router has a web interface that's accessible instantly via LAN.
Rubidium wrote:I would return the stupid thing immediately because it just plain sucks.
Yes, you are right :-). The router came as rented hardware with the DSL contract from my ISP. It was configured as a DSL modem but I found a guide to reconfigure it to a router including filter rules (targets of both links in german language). I know that it is an interim solution, thatswhy I will buy my own router when some money left over (50 to 70 EURO).

Tschö, Auge

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”