Current AIs' Battle Royale

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Current AIs' Battle Royale

Post by Roujin »

Hi Guys,

just for the fun of it, I started a game where all 8 AIs currently available from the content server battled each other. And I thought I'd share the results with everyone...

The contestants:
* AdmiralAI (v19)
* CluelessPlus (v3)
* Convoy (v10)
* Medieval (v2)
* OTVI (v1.4)
* PathZilla (v5)
* PAXLink (v4)
* WrightAI (v2)

A little disclaimer: the results I got here don't necessarily need to tell the real "performance" of the AIs. It's only one map, one specific NewGRF setup, one setup of settings. Some of the AIs may perform better or worse on different maps and/or settings. And some AIs that didn't perform very well in my little game here might show some impressive results when working on their own, rather than being faced with seven opponents.
So please don't take this as a general "ranking" of the AIs we currently have here, and to the developers of the AIs that were outperformed by the others in my game, please don't be discouraged! Please keep developing, it's nice to have a diversity of AIs available :)

I chose a temperate randomized map of dimension 512x512, with the following NewGRFs (It's basically my standard GRF compilation, but without the 2ccSet, because that from my experience causes trouble for AIs using trains (i.e. AdmiralAI) due to their high costs.)
AI_tournament, GRF list.png
AI_tournament, GRF list.png (3.91 KiB) Viewed 6021 times
The following posts will contain results from different stages of the game.
Last edited by Roujin on 24 Jan 2009 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Current AIs' Battle Royale

Post by Roujin »

After 5 game years, these are the results:

Map of the game after 5 years:
AI_tournament, 1955-01-01#1.png
(39.53 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
Company comparison after 5 years:
AI_tournament, 1955-01-01.png
(175.96 KiB) Downloaded 512 times

As you can see, within the first five years, basically all towns have been connected. In this phase, the AI which expanded the fastest, took the lead. This was obviously OTVI, having the most road vehicles of all AIs. You can also see from the map that OTVI built a good share of the roads from town to town.
Most of the AIs concentrate on buses (and maybe mail trucks) from town to town, so from now on there's not much to expand on, only improvement of existing services and increasing of the number of vehicles servicing a route. Let's see how good the different AIs handle that in the next post.
The only exceptions to that are AdmiralAI (since it builds also train and aircraft routes, plus it connects industries; thus it still has enough expansion possibilities without any direct competition), WrightAI, and PAXLink (those build aircraft routes).
Unfortunately, the latter two didn't do well. WrightAI, well.. is WrightAI :mrgreen:, and PAXLink seems to have trouble when there's much competition, like in my game. It went bankrupt multiple times in my game and got restarted some time after; that's also why it's not present in my screenshots.
Last edited by Roujin on 24 Jan 2009 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

After 10 game years, these are the results:

Map of the game after 10 years:
AI_tournament, 1960-01-10#1.png
(42.7 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Company comparison after 10 years:
AI_tournament, 1960-01-10.png
(97.03 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
Looking at the Map, you see that not many new routes have been built in the second span of 5 years (as I said in my previous post 8) ). Only AdmiralAI built some new stuff, e.g. rail lines.

Now from the Company comparison (this time I decided to include more different graphs than only the income), we can see that OTVI hasn't expanded all that much, whereas convoy has churned out a fleet of road vehicles and also looking at the graphs (income and delivered cargo), it has reached or exceeded OTVIs level. Regarding income, AdmiralAI has also reached the same level, due to the variety of transportation that only AdmiralAI uses and thus has no competition there.

Clueless and MedievalAI are somewhere in the middle, having a decent amount of vehicles, but not reaching really good profits like the top trio.

PathZilla seems to have trouble due to the heavy competition, as well as PAXLink (who is again bankrupt at the time of these screenshots :( ).
And WrightAI is ... well... just WrightAI :mrgreen:
Last edited by Roujin on 24 Jan 2009 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Unfortunately I had to abort my game after about 12 years. Saving and later loading the game again didn't work out well since some AIs don't support save/load yet. The game was turning very slow at this point anyways due to (I guess) the high amount of vehicles (I raised the RV limit to 2000 so no AI would be hindered by the maximum) combined with eight (well, seven most of the time) AIs also consuming CPU time.

From year 10 to year 12 there was not much difference, only a bit of fluctuation between the top three AIs.

---
So what do I conclude from this?
- firstly, AdmiralAI, OTVI and Convoy are doing well when facing competition. PAXLink and Pathzilla are probably better when they have more space for themselves.
- OTVI is pretty good on expanding fast, taking the lead early in the game
- Convoy and AdmiralAI reach OTVI later in the game: Convoy probably because it does very well in squeezing the last bit of existing routes, AdmiralAI because it uses means of transportations yet unrivaled by other AIs

Well, there are probably other points that I've forgotten, but when I remember, I'll insert them here...

---
All in all, I thank every AI developer (and the devs involved in the NoAI framwork of course) for making this possible :)
Cheers, keep developing!
Last edited by Roujin on 24 Jan 2009 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

RVs rock :shock:

Try to conduct the test on larger map ;)
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Funny, I'm doing the same at this very moment, to test an improvement on Convoy. I had to increase the number of road vehicles because Admiral and Convoy already reached the default 500.

The poor towns do get busy..
Attachments
Geen naam, 11 Dec 1992.png
Geen naam, 11 Dec 1992.png (202.37 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
Zutty
Director
Director

Post by Zutty »

Oh dear :oops:

Was the "aggressive" setting for PathZilla turned on?
PathZilla - A networking AI - Now with tram support.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

CommanderZ: naah, it gets too hardware hungry with the massive amount of vehicles they build... also, it would only mean that the first phase (enough room to expand freely) will be longer, i.e. OTVI will probably stay in lead longer. Unless of course AdmiralAI reaches him due to using its "exclusive" transportation means.

GeekToo: yes, I set the RV limit up to 2000 so that the AIs don't get hindered by it.
Zutty wrote:Oh dear :oops:

Was the "aggressive" setting for PathZilla turned on?

Yes, I didn't change the default settings for AIs (only the amount of days after which the AI will start).

ImageImage
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

He, a similar idea I had yesterday, too, starting a small game in 1930 with 2cc set, egrvts in arctic climate (1024 x 512 tiles). Here the result after 28 years (the AI Observers GmbH & Co KG is my company):
Diagrammes from top to down:
earnings,
income,
company value and
transported freight

The most successful three AI seem to be AdmiralAI all. AIs colours in the bottome image from top to bottom:
Admiral AI (v19)
Clueless AI 3
Convoy v10
OtviAI v1.4
PAXLink v4
Wright AI v2
OtviAI
OtviAI
PAXLink
Admiral
OtviAI
WrightAI
Convoy
Admiral AI

As some AI failed, the starting dates are quite different. Funnily the latest AdmiralAI is the most successful. And also for the other AIs their inauguration time doesn't relate to their company value at all.
Attachments
AI Observer GmbH & Co KG, 1958-04-30#3.png
screeny from a very colourful town
(233.5 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
earnings, income, company value and transported freight
earnings, income, company value and transported freight
AI Observer GmbH & Co KG, 1958-04-30#4.png (97.55 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Company summaries
Company summaries
AI Observer GmbH & Co KG, 1958-04-30#5.png (102.68 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Interesting.. why do the (road only) companies have so much less RVs than in my game? Did you have a rather low road vehicle limit? Or did you maybe have a low number of towns?
But even if the [road only & towns only] AIs didn't have such an obstacle in your game, I'd have guessed that after 28 years AdmiralAI is in the lead (due to using all kinds of transportation and also servicing industries, with no competition from other AIs).

By the way, next time you should maybe set language to english before making the screenshots so everyone in the forum can understand ;) (no offense meant!)

ImageImage
Maninthebox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maninthebox »

Very interesting reading :) Thanks Roujin for the testing, good to see my ai perform well on other computers as well ;) I must say that otviai is mostly test for a 10 year time span and more testing should be done on anything longer (things like replacing vehicles etc).

Also thanks to planetmaker, your test pointed out some flaws in my ai, most notably that I hadn't considered the option that there would not be a suitable bus available at all... so otvi just builds stations for both passengers and mail whereas the first bus and/or mail truck hasn't been invented yet :) Next release will fix this.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Roujin wrote:Interesting.. why do the (road only) companies have so much less RVs than in my game? Did you have a rather low road vehicle limit? Or did you maybe have a low number of towns?
But even if the [road only & towns only] AIs didn't have such an obstacle in your game, I'd have guessed that after 28 years AdmiralAI is in the lead (due to using all kinds of transportation and also servicing industries, with no competition from other AIs).
Well, the landscape was high in industries but low (or very low, don't remember) on towns - my usual settings in that respect. The vehicle limit was not reached by any AI (nor me), it was set to 500RV.
The problem of AdmiralAI probably is the 2cc trainset which has very expensive engines - which it tried to build... and waited for the money to buy it. Buying two or three of the 2nd best or even 3rd best engines is initially there much more favourable. The later instances started off with other services and were then more successfull. And not all AIs were active 28 years, so... some rather half of it as their predecessors failed :P
By the way, next time you should maybe set language to english before making the screenshots so everyone in the forum can understand ;) (no offense meant!)
Yeah... :) But then for most screenshots it doesn't matter and how can I note that there's something for me to translate, if I play English? :) But you have a point in this case wrt the performance graphs.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

planetmaker wrote:[...]
The problem of AdmiralAI probably is the 2cc trainset which has very expensive engines - which it tried to build... and waited for the money to buy it. Buying two or three of the 2nd best or even 3rd best engines is initially there much more favourable. The later instances started off with other services and were then more successfull. And not all AIs were active 28 years, so... some rather half of it as their predecessors failed :P
[...]
Yup, that's why I let it run without the 2cc set.. didn't want to play russian roulette with the AdmiralAI - "Build rail first -> fail / Build something else first -> okay" ^_^
Now that I think about it, it probably would've worked also to set the parameter of 2cc so that it has lower costs. Or does that only lower running costs, not purchase costs?

ImageImage
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Roujin wrote: Yup, that's why I let it run without the 2cc set.. didn't want to play russian roulette with the AdmiralAI - "Build rail first -> fail / Build something else first -> okay" ^_^
Now that I think about it, it probably would've worked also to set the parameter of 2cc so that it has lower costs. Or does that only lower running costs, not purchase costs?
I set 2cc already to sandbox mode. But in the 1930th the best engine still costs about 450k€ - which is half the maximum loan which I allowed every player.
Maninthebox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maninthebox »

I did a little battling of AI's as a test of my own AI's and it turns out that apart from my own otviai (after bugfixing ;) ) only clueless is able to handle a start in 1925 correctly. Apparently not so clueless after all :) Admiral dies and convoy realizes it can't do a thing and stops for eternity. All others seem to try to build bus routes despite the lack of busses.
Morloth
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Morloth »

Maninthebox wrote:I did a little battling of AI's as a test of my own AI's and it turns out that apart from my own otviai (after bugfixing ;) ) only clueless is able to handle a start in 1925 correctly. Apparently not so clueless after all :) Admiral dies and convoy realizes it can't do a thing and stops for eternity. All others seem to try to build bus routes despite the lack of busses.
Hmmz... I get different results. I assume the latest version of OtviAI isn't on Bananas yet but it breaks instantly (v1). CluelessPlus builds bus connections although it can't buy any busses (not sure what GRFs you're using?) and it seems to me that not building anything like Convoy (and NoCAB! :P) is the correct behaviour, since both don't support trains and trams yet.
Maninthebox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maninthebox »

The latest otvi isn't on bananas yet indeed, I'm testing it before uploading :) I'm not using any GRF's at the moment. And Convoy and NoCab do the right thing initially, but what I meant is that they never wake up from their hibernation when busses are getting available.
Morloth
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Morloth »

Maninthebox wrote:The latest otvi isn't on bananas yet indeed, I'm testing it before uploading :) I'm not using any GRF's at the moment. And Convoy and NoCab do the right thing initially, but what I meant is that they never wake up from their hibernation when busses are getting available.
Ah! All right, testing / fixing that right now :)

Update:
Fixed, my event management system was broken :x. Thanks for notifying me :)
Wasila
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wasila »

Maninthebox wrote:I did a little battling of AI's as a test of my own AI's and it turns out that apart from my own otviai (after bugfixing ;) ) only clueless is able to handle a start in 1925 correctly. Apparently not so clueless after all :) Admiral dies and convoy realizes it can't do a thing and stops for eternity. All others seem to try to build bus routes despite the lack of busses.
I just started playing against two AdmiralAI's on the CARST World Map starting 1920 and they're both doing about as well as me. (It's about 1925). I'm using the UKRS and the addon pack.
SaxxonPike
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SaxxonPike »

How do you set up a Battle Royale? Also, is it possible to start a game in "spectator" mode, if any?

I want to experiment how AI does in a small map like 64x64 compared to large maps such as 2048x2048.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”