German Signals v0.4

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

fpe
Engineer
Engineer

German Signals v0.4

Post by fpe »

I have drawn some new signals looking similar to those found on German railroad tracks.
For explanation of German signal system see http://www.sh1.org/eisenbahn/shhp.htm

UPDATE: Version 0.4
+ new pre signal graphics => no more unrealistic waiting at distant (VR) signals
+ changed exit signal post plate to white-red-white
+ better post plates for PBS
+ one-way PBS now has ground-level blocking signal on it's back

UPDATE: Version 0.3
+ PBS support

Screenshot:
Attachments
gersignw.grf
German Signals v0.4 (Windows/OTTD)
(27.76 KiB) Downloaded 1998 times
Last edited by fpe on 24 Jan 2009 11:25, edited 4 times in total.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [WIP] German (Pre-)Signals

Post by XeryusTC »

What is exactly the difference between normal and exit signals? It is not very clear from that image.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
fpe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fpe »

The exit signal has the green light in the top instead of the bottom. If it's red, it's only hard to distinguish from the normal one.
So there is still work to do...
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Can you do us a screenshot with those signals in live action?
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

I like your attempt, but due to the nature of TTD signals you can now have trains waiting at distant (VR) signals. I'm not sure if I'd like that. I also wonder if it isn't possible to ad some signal plates to differentiate between normal and exit signals?
fpe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fpe »

I have made a little update.
Exit signals and normal ones are now easier to differentiate. I also enlarged some lights to make them better readable. It's still far from those half-a-train-wide default "traffic lights", but I think this more filigreed optics looks better.

The grey signs can be removed by setting GRF parameter 1.

You are right broodje, having trains waiting at VR signals is really not that beautiful, maybe I will use another signal type for TTD-"presignals" and leave the diagonal ones only to the combos.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

fpe wrote:I have drawn some new signals looking similar to those found on German railroad tracks.
Interesting.

I´ve been experimenting with introducing "german" signals into the DB set since quite a long time. AFAIR, discussions about more "realistic" signals goes back even into the days of the TTDPatch mailing list.

However, until now I didn´t find a good solution which would be acceptable for me to such a degree that it could be released to the public. Two of the usual problems can be seen here again: one is the usage of the Vr (trains in RL never stop here), the other is visibility.

However, there are more problems. In TTDPatch we not only have main signals, presignals, and PBS signals. We also have routing restricted signals, programmable signals, through signals, and inverted signals. And all should be able to tell them apart w/o using the query tool.

regards
Michael
trainboy2004
Director
Director

Post by trainboy2004 »

The signals are great, well done.

But are there any plans for PBS signals?
fpe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fpe »

Thank you.
trainboy2004 wrote:But are there any plans for PBS signals?
Yes. I thought of using normal signals with white-and-yellow post plates on it. In reality, this means that "If the signal shows halt or is broken, the train may pass and drive on sighting distance to the next signal." This - in the broadest sense - is almost similar to PBS behaviour, where multiple trains can share the same block.

Or, as Google translator says: "At one by a white-yellow-white-yellow-white light Mastschild marked main signal that hold shows or disrupted, trains may be, if after stopping before this signal an understanding with the signaller is not possible without the consent and must pass to next to the main signal in control. Main signals with this Mastschild have both a Vorsignalfunktion." :lol:

See http://www.stellwerke.de/signal/deutsch/sp.html for more information about signal post plates.
fpe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fpe »

Updated to v0.3, now with PBS support and some minor pixel changes again.

Does someone know how I can replace PBS sprites without having to include all the semaphores?
I'm using Action5, and with that I have to give all the 240 sprites including semaphores until I get to the PBS ones.

I discovered that there are graphics for PBS-presignals, too. Can you even build them in OpenTTD?
trainboy2004
Director
Director

Post by trainboy2004 »

I think the yellow needs to be a bit darker and the sign on the pole needs to be a little bit shorter. If you are using #3:

http://home.arcor-online.de/estw/sp1.gif
fpe wrote:I discovered that there are graphics for PBS-presignals, too. Can you even build them in OpenTTD?
Never knew such thing existed, I only have PBS and PBS oneway.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

fpe wrote:Does someone know how I can replace PBS sprites without having to include all the semaphores?
Use NewSignals (feature 0E). And then campaign for Open to provide what support it can for that feature.
fpe wrote:I discovered that there are graphics for PBS-presignals, too. Can you even build them in OpenTTD?
No, but you can in Patch. You must include then in a type 04 action 5. In a type 0E action 5, though, you wouldn't have to.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
fpe
Engineer
Engineer

Re: German Signals v0.4

Post by fpe »

UPDATE: Version 0.4
+ new pre signal graphics => no more unrealistic waiting at distant (VR) signals
+ changed exit signal post plate to white-red-white
+ better post plates for PBS
+ one-way PBS now has dwarf-sized blocking signal on it's back
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

i thought it were "small people" or "little people", not dwarfs ;) ... to be political correct i mean
Member of the
ImageImage
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

In Dutch small signals are litteraly translated "Dwarf Signals". Those are tiny little signals which are close to the ground, the train is almost driving over them. Probably the same issue in German :)

EDIT: example: http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/S ... 006022.jpg
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Purno wrote:Probably the same issue in German :)
Yup, Zwergsingal or Schutzsingal. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzsignal However the latter can also be seen on a normal height or even suspended.
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
lugo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lugo »

I'm fairly surprised that none of the 129.250 people downloading this neat grf (according to bananas) reported this problem yet.
Maybe only i'm having it? Or there's a hidden fix i don't know of?
Attachments
alignment problem with semaphore
alignment problem with semaphore
sema_gs.png (8.01 KiB) Viewed 24147 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i took the liberty of fixing this, and adding an action 14 in the process. version is now called "v0.4a".
license is still CC-BY-NC-SA by Florian Eßer. My contribution is not significant since it was only copy-pasting.
Attachments
gersignw.grf
(27.93 KiB) Downloaded 495 times

Return to “Graphics Development”