Model Railways

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Do you add flora and/or fauna, and ballast to your model?

I add flora and(or) fauna
No votes
I add just ballast
20%
I do both
70%
I leave the plain baseboard visible
10%

Total votes: 10

NitrousX
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Train Sets

Post by NitrousX »

Its still under construction but this is about it, with a hidden station under the layout for additional space.

Got a load of Dutch engine's running atm, most of them find there origin in the early 1950's tot the late 1960's
Attachments
Still Under Construction
Still Under Construction
P1020418.JPG (191.54 KiB) Viewed 846 times
mmarvelstrain
Director
Director

Post by mmarvelstrain »

Ho scale is OK at best I've found it just as expensive as O scale only I've had trouble with couplers and cars. I went back to O scale about 2 years ago I started with a Steam engine 2-4-0 the one i got when i was 5. then my Dad's friend had a box of O scale and gave it to me came with. 2-6-4 Heavy Steam gondola, box,tanker,caboose, passenger car, observation or End car from the 50's post war. then a ORIGINAL WIND UP 1910. a box 2 tanker and caboose. from 1930s. from then i got a auto rack car, light car, Pennsylvania FP7A, Rock island rs-3. I don't have a Layout but i play with it a lot. not bad for a 13 year old.

Bottom line if I were you I'd get O scale No matter what any body said YOU CAN'T BEAT THE ORIGINAL. Plus Ho scale falls of the rails EXTREMELY EASY if you have one car you must stop everything and reset it but with O scale it's a lot easier Faster and more reliable.
Locomotion is kool with a capital k TM
Look what I Made (Name That Plane)
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=41042
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

The trouble with O scale is that it does take up rather a lot of space!
mmarvelstrain
Director
Director

Post by mmarvelstrain »

But it pays off Literally in money and in reliability and Detail.
Locomotion is kool with a capital k TM
Look what I Made (Name That Plane)
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=41042
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

I think I'm happy with OO Guage for now....

I'll get my set out tomorrow and do some photos.
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

andel wrote:I'll get my set out tomorrow and do some photos.
Remember, this is a family forum...
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Ameecher wrote:
andel wrote:I'll get my set out tomorrow and do some photos.
Remember, this is a family forum...
And you're not a member of the family.
Andel
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

mmarvelstrain wrote:Ho scale is OK at best I've found it just as expensive as O scale only I've had trouble with couplers and cars. I went back to O scale about 2 years ago I started with a Steam engine 2-4-0 the one i got when i was 5. then my Dad's friend had a box of O scale and gave it to me came with. 2-6-4 Heavy Steam gondola, box,tanker,caboose, passenger car, observation or End car from the 50's post war. then a ORIGINAL WIND UP 1910. a box 2 tanker and caboose. from 1930s. from then i got a auto rack car, light car, Pennsylvania FP7A, Rock island rs-3. I don't have a Layout but i play with it a lot. not bad for a 13 year old.

Bottom line if I were you I'd get O scale No matter what any body said YOU CAN'T BEAT THE ORIGINAL. Plus Ho scale falls of the rails EXTREMELY EASY if you have one car you must stop everything and reset it but with O scale it's a lot easier Faster and more reliable.
Sounds like Lionel, at least the 2-6-4 wheel arrangement. Those are actually smallish engines. My dad had a #2026 2-6-4 from 1951 that I recently put a new motor into. Can't beat it for light express service!

Now O Scale, proper, is 2 rail. Lionel tinplate is 3-rail, and it is great for going reversing loops and activating accessories like signals. Just insulate one running rail, and when the train rolls over that insulated rail, the metal wheels/axles will bridge current and activate the accessory attached to the insulated section.

I got a bunch of 1930s/'40s O Scale 2 rail cars refitted with tinplate trucks and couplers. Really nice cars. Most of them wood or metal.

I also got a Lionel 2-4-0 steam engine, and am making a proper tender for it out of wood and metal. Scratchbuilt. The old tender with it was too big to look good with it.
Without Trains America Stops

Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

I have a marklin train. A starter set from back way 'round 1995 or so. I currently have no space in my room. I used to have a 2square M surface where I built my train layout on.

I once also borrowed an uncles Fleischmann set for 4years or so. He had 5loco's and a lot of tracks! My set only had 1loco and a few wagons :(

I do have a collectors edition CAT wagon set thingy. Though it has become incomplete (missing stakes on the wagons and such).

Once I get my own home, with enough space I will built my train set imperial!

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"your pixels aren't good enough to talk to me.. sorry"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

I was at the woodshop today and nearly bought a base to nail some track to, but no space in the car else I'd have got some... I have my wooden batons though to put underneath...

I need to find some wires too and a soldering iron...
Andel
[/size]
Xrufuian
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Xrufuian »

Here are a few photos of various trains on the layout of a friend of mine.
Attachments
DSCN0354.JPG
Bob's Locos on Bob's layout
(831.42 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
DSCN0355.JPG
More Locos!
(783.18 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
DSCN0357.JPG
Even more locos!
(821.6 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I got a birthday present for myself:
Attachments
IMG_1059.jpg
IMG_1059.jpg (100.39 KiB) Viewed 827 times
IMG_1062.jpg
IMG_1062.jpg (94.58 KiB) Viewed 814 times
IMG_1063.jpg
IMG_1063.jpg (94.83 KiB) Viewed 810 times
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

I prefer G scale, especially LGB locomotives and cars, I don't have a fixed layout, but I run them outside A LOT.
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

StopRightThere
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by StopRightThere »

rdrdrdrd wrote:I prefer G scale, especially LGB locomotives and cars, I don't have a fixed layout, but I run them outside A LOT.
Nice to know I'm not alone in using G Scale, LGB stuff is damn expensive though. (and has gone downhill in quality thanks to Marklin...)
Bye Bye OpenBVE :(
Official TT-Hot young ginger Doctor Who assistant FanClub
Formerly known as AdditionalData
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

yeah, I tend to try to get the old stuff off the internet
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

Umm. . . you mean actual model railroads? Those like, cost money and take up space. I thought that's what OTTD was for. :wink:

Seriously, I refer to myself as a recovering model railroader. I have a lot of Lionel/Marx 3 rail 027 scale track, one working engine (A 4-4-2 Atlantic, missing its front and rear trucks) and two sets of cars (one Marx, one Allstate{Sears-Roebuck}). It has an over/under trestle set, which I scratch built a plate girder bridge for.

At different times, I have had HO and N scale layouts. N scale seemed to perform poorly. HO was a good scale to work with, but takes up a LOT of space if you do it right with appropriately scaled curves, etc. At one time I had an HO layout which represented a shortline railroad in the NE US. Main cargoes were tourists, coal, logs and general freight. I actually used fine gauge wire on poles to run electricity to the power switches and lighted buildings. The railroad's "shop" facility consisted of a retired wooden boxcar converted to a MOW building and a refueling setup built from a wrecked tank car. Loco roster was an ex-Bangor & Arostook BL2, an ex-Santa Fe 2 axle switcher an ex-Milwaukee Road GE 25 tonner, a Baldwin 0-4-0 T, and a woodburning 4-6-0 painted to celebrate the 1976 Bicentennial. When the switchers had to be scrapped (burned out motors) the 040T got pressed into freight duty.

I gave up on the whole thing 20 or so years ago for lack of money and space, and sold off my stuff except for the 3-rail set which lives in a box downstairs.
Who is John Galt?
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Purno - is your kit N guage or OO? I forget...

I did my website tonight - www.lund-conlon.co.uk

Have a peak.
Andel
[/size]
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I like your BBC Box Andel!

Rdrdrdrd - I aspire to eventually get a garden railway going, and always liked the Bachmann G scale stuff, although it costs about £2billion quid per train over here. Either that or a UK based narrow gauge line. Will need to get a garden first though...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

andel wrote:Purno - is your kit N guage or OO? I forget...
N gauge (1:160)
I did my website tonight - http://www.lund-conlon.co.uk

Have a peak.
Nice website! :)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Thank you... I'm about to do my page about DCC next and how the basic wiring works.
Andel
[/size]

Return to “Off-Topic”