Two Player (Timeout?)

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Two Player (Timeout?)

Post by wallyweb »

I have a LAN via a D-Link wired router TCP/IP
Box 1 is Windows 2000 Pro 1.5GHz CPU
Box 2 is Windows 98 SE 300MHz CPU
TTDX settings are identical ... created the cfg's on the 2k box and copied them into the 98 box.
I can play a 1 player game on each box.

I set the 2k box to host a 2 player game named shared and the 98 box to join.
The 98 box finds the game named shared, (so I assume that the connection is good) but it won't join.
Instead, after a bit of time, I get a CreateReceiverGame Status message = Could not connect to game.

Any hints or directions to resolve this? The 2k box is connected to the internet with browser and email open ...
Attachments
ttdpatchshare.cfg
My ttdpatchw.cfg
(38.21 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Difficulty Settings
Difficulty Settings
Difficulty.png (10.24 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Two Player (Timeout?)

Post by DaleStan »

I can confirm that you're not going insane; The exact same thing happened to me with two XP boxes. It didn't matter which box hosted, nor whether enhancemultiplayer was on or off.

But, since it's (for once) not just me, I'll go hunting harder. It still happens for me at 2038, so I'm going to have to start compiling.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Maybe some additional background info will help you in your quest:
When I first built the network, it was bound to pure TCP/IP.
The boxes were able to ping one another, but file and print sharing was a bust.
I then added NetBEUI and dropped the TCP/IP bindings while keeping TCP/IP for internet connections.
The NetBEUI file and print sharing works properly.
So another question ... Does a two player game need to access file and print sharing?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Well, I'm out of ideas. I tried 2.6 r2000, 1950, 1900, 1800, 1700, and 1600, plus 2.5 beta 9. All had the exact same behaviour. The game name was transmitted, and then the game didn't connect.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Win2k wiki manual entry wrote:last modification: Friday 13 of February, 2004 [20:18:58] by SHADOW-XIII
Did Shadow-XIII code the switch? If so, maybe he has some thoughts.
I sure hope that date is not significant.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

No, a wiki can be edited by everyone...

Dalestan: you could try to remove the Vista Fix I did and try again...

http://svn.ttdpatch.net/trac/changeset/1446
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

Its worth trying that with ttd patch?
I once did with my 2 computers a lan game, and it was extremely laggy
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

LaDoncella wrote:Its worth trying that with ttd patch?
I once did with my 2 computers a lan game, and it was extremely laggy
Yes. :wink:
First you get it to work, then you work out the bugs. By the way, did your two computers have the same operating system?
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

yes, they had (by that time) windows xp sp2
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

LaDoncella wrote:... windows xp sp2
That sounds similar to DaleStan's setup. Were you using a direct cable connection or were you using ethernet via a router?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I have gotten it working with r1400, but it doesn't seem to be entirely reliable, so I'm going to do a lot more fiddling before claiming that 1446 really did break things.

EDIT: So 1446 definitely did not break things; I just got the games to connect using r1446.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote:I have gotten it working with r1400, but it doesn't seem to be entirely reliable, so I'm going to do a lot more fiddling before claiming that 1446 really did break things.

EDIT: So 1446 definitely did not break things; I just got the games to connect using r1446.
Did you see this?
http://svn.ttdpatch.net/trac/search?q=1 ... &ticket=on
Doesn't dplay handle two player games?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

OK, now I'm more confused than ever. As far as I know, I haven't changed anything, but I've now had success[0], with beta 9, 1400, 1445, 1446, 1460, 1500, 1600, 1800, 2000, and HEAD (2053).

It works regardless of which computer hosts, too. Then again, they are both XPSP3, which may or may not help things. The only thing I can think of is that one or both firewalls needed a reboot before the changes took; I've rebooted at least one computer since I first started testing.

[0] By which I mean that TTD/Patch has announced "UD:0334:0334" instead of "Could not connect to game"; I'll look into this issue later.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Update: Resolved ... So simple I had to kick myself ...
Seeing the dplay note, I decided to run dxdiag on each machine. Scanning the system stuff on the first screen, I noticed that I had directx 9.0c on the 2k box. I then remembered that the 98 box had directx 8. A quick update and now I have matching 9.0c 's and TTDPatch games that like each other. 8)

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”