NH Foundations [v0.1 finished]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Nivlheim
Engineer
Engineer

NH Foundations [v0.1 finished]

Post by Nivlheim »

NH Foundations v0.1

This is a set of foundation replacements meant to imitate tin roof style metal plates that I've seen in use as retainer walls in a nearby construction site. These are similar to the foundations in SAC's INFRA Landscape - those looked very good in my scenario, but I wanted a slightly dirtier/rustier version along with replacements for the foundation graphics in trg1r.grf, so I decided to jump in head-first and make my own from scratch (and probably learn a thing or two along the way :D ). This GRF replaces foundations in both trg1r.grf and openttdw.grf.

If you find any bugs (kinda limited for such a simple replacement I guess) or if it doesn't work, get back to me and I'll do what I can to fix. Keep in mind tho, this is my very first attempt at TTD graphics and GRF coding, so I might have overlooked something.

Update: DOS version should now have correct palette. Thanks Maedhros, appreciated!
Attachments
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 1
nhfound1.png (17.86 KiB) Viewed 14910 times
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 2
nhfound2.png (13.27 KiB) Viewed 14907 times
nhfoundations.zip
(11.4 KiB) Downloaded 799 times
Last edited by Nivlheim on 18 Jun 2008 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
My GRFs:
NH Foundations v0.1 - Foundation replacements
NH Train Depot v0.1
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NH Foundations [v0.1 finished]

Post by Badger »

That looks pretty good, I'll give it a whirl when I next start a game.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Oh, those look very nice, I guess they'll make for a good alternative for Ameecher's foundations. I guess I'll try them when I start a new game :).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

XeryusTC wrote:Oh, those look very nice, I guess they'll make for a good alternative for Ameecher's foundations. I guess I'll try them when I start a new game :).
I'll tell you why they would make a good alternative, they have the lighting correct unlike mine! :lol:

Good stuff, I like it.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Good effort mate :D
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Nivlheim
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nivlheim »

Thanks, glad you like it!
My GRFs:
NH Train Depot v0.1
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Very nice. They have been downloaded and added to my collection. They look good in game too since they could pass for either metal going rusty (your intention) or coated wood with the coating flaking off (my imagination). I guess it all depends on how you look at it.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Nite Owl wrote:Very nice. They have been downloaded and added to my collection. They look good in game too since they could pass for either metal going rusty (your intention) or coated wood with the coating flaking off (my imagination). I guess it all depends on how you look at it.
Yup, summarisded perfectly. Great foundations, will use from now on :D
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

These are looking good. :) I have found one bug though - the DOS and Windows grfs that come in the zip are the same, so the foundations are faintly purple when using the DOS version. I don't know how you encoded them, but if you're using grfcodec you need to add '-m 1' to the options to convert the Windows palette to DOS.

I've re-encoded the version I downloaded so I can use it - let me know if you'd like me to upload it here. :)
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
Nivlheim
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nivlheim »

Maedhros wrote:These are looking good. :) I have found one bug though - the DOS and Windows grfs that come in the zip are the same, so the foundations are faintly purple when using the DOS version. I don't know how you encoded them, but if you're using grfcodec you need to add '-m 1' to the options to convert the Windows palette to DOS.

I've re-encoded the version I downloaded so I can use it - let me know if you'd like me to upload it here. :)
Oops, that wasn't intended :) If you could upload the correct one (so I know it's a working one, I have no way of testing it myself at the moment), I'll update the archive.
My GRFs:
NH Train Depot v0.1
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

Nivlheim wrote:If you could upload the correct one (so I know it's a working one, I have no way of testing it myself at the moment), I'll update the archive.
Sure - here you go. :)
Attachments
nhfoundations.grf
(30.64 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Nivlheim wrote:Oops, that wasn't intended :) If you could upload the correct one (so I know it's a working one, I have no way of testing it myself at the moment), I'll update the archive.
A quick sanity check is the file sizes. As far as I've been able to tell, a DOS GRF is always a few bytes smaller than the corresponding Windows GRF. If the sizes are the same (to the byte) then either the conversion failed or the GRF contains no graphics.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Skasi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Skasi »

I don't have anything to criticise, except for a little thing.
Attachments
uglyline.PNG
uglyline.PNG (7 KiB) Viewed 13653 times
Nivlheim
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nivlheim »

I agree, and I recently made a version with a darker line (see attached screenshot). I've attached the new Windows .grf in case you want it.
Attachments
nhfound4.png
nhfound4.png (8.47 KiB) Viewed 13496 times
nhfoundationsw.grf
NH Foundations v0.2
(30.67 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
My GRFs:
NH Train Depot v0.1
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

Nivlheim wrote:I agree, and I recently made a version with a darker line (see attached screenshot). I've attached the new Windows .grf in case you want it.
I think you should apply some randomness on the corner lines, they looks kinda unnatural for me.

Return to “Graphics Development”