Game : Guess that Japanese Station

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

paullb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Game : Guess that Japanese Station

Post by paullb »

1) You can only post a picture of a station if you guess the previous station correctly or if somebody passes their turn to you.
2) The station must be within Japan.
3) The name of the station shouldnt be within the actual picture or the filename.

I'll start if off with a reasonably easy one.
Attachments
train.jpg
train.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 5942 times
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Game : Guess that Japanese Station

Post by Rubidium »

As far as I could find out the train (Shikisai) runs the Chūō Rapid and Ōme Line. As the station looks quite big to me lots of stations without connecting services can be excluded. You telling it was easy made me first believe Shinjuku or Tokyo station, but Shinjuku has as far as I remember no continueing roof and in Tokyo station the train is at platform 1/2 which has only Chūō Line blue trains.

So that made me believe it's Tachikawa station (立川駅), especially as some internal photos of that have a similar ceilings.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Rubidium is right, though the Class 201 Shikisai only runs on the Ôme line and not on the Chûô Rapid line. This as this train wasn't coupled to the 10 car long services to Tôkyô station.
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
paullb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by paullb »

Rubidium wrote:As far as I could find out the train (Shikisai) runs the Chūō Rapid and Ōme Line. As the station looks quite big to me lots of stations without connecting services can be excluded. You telling it was easy made me first believe Shinjuku or Tokyo station, but Shinjuku has as far as I remember no continueing roof and in Tokyo station the train is at platform 1/2 which has only Chūō Line blue trains.

So that made me believe it's Tachikawa station (立川駅), especially as some internal photos of that have a similar ceilings.
Excellent detective work. (Tokyo Station and Shinjuku station both have rooms, but both let light in above (meaning no buidlings above). Over to you for the next one.
paullb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by paullb »

Toni Babelony wrote:Rubidium is right, though the Class 201 Shikisai only runs on the Ôme line and not on the Chûô Rapid line. This as this train wasn't coupled to the 10 car long services to Tôkyô station.
This isn't entirely true. Though genereally correct, some of the Class 201 Shikisai trains go out to Kawaguchi-ko on non-regular services (June 21,22,28,29 of this month http://ekikara.jp/newdata/detail/101041 ... 8598_0.htm (Japanese))
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

paullb wrote:
Toni Babelony wrote:Rubidium is right, though the Class 201 Shikisai only runs on the Ôme line and not on the Chûô Rapid line. This as this train wasn't coupled to the 10 car long services to Tôkyô station.
This isn't entirely true. Though genereally correct, some of the Class 201 Shikisai trains go out to Kawaguchi-ko on non-regular services (June 21,22,28,29 of this month http://ekikara.jp/newdata/detail/101041 ... 8598_0.htm (Japanese))
Well, I was talking about the Chûô Rapid line and not the Chûô Mainline. Ôtsuka is on the Chûô Mainline and not the Chûô Rapid line.

Anyway, interesting to see that the Shikisai also runs on the Fuji Kyûkô tracks.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

So I misinterpreted some translator results.

Anyhow, here's the next station. Might be hard though; didn't want to use one of the really famous stations to tickle your minds.

Good luck.
Attachments
Where was I when I was on this station.
Where was I when I was on this station.
whereisthis.jpg (160.72 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
paullb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by paullb »

The band on the station name sign on the other platform is green which means it should be JR East. I believe lit signs like that are only found with reasonable proximity to Tokyo or at reasonably major stops

I don't see mountains in the background especially on the right, which would mean that it is likely near the sea.

There are 4 or 5 rails there, so its likely to be a limited express stop (perhaps a start-stop point for the local trains). My guess would have to be somewhere in Chiba.

Maybe somebody else sees something I missed.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

paullb wrote:The band on the station name sign on the other platform is green which means it should be JR East. I believe lit signs like that are only found with reasonable proximity to Tokyo or at reasonably major stops
The station is not within JR East's service area.
paullb wrote:I don't see mountains in the background especially on the right, which would mean that it is likely near the sea.
Correct
paullb wrote:There are 4 or 5 rails there, so its likely to be a limited express stop (perhaps a start-stop point for the local trains).
It's a limited express stop, though as far as I could find out it is not a start-stop point for local trains.
paullb wrote:My guess would have to be somewhere in Chiba.
Though I've been in Chiba, the station is not in Chiba.
paullb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by paullb »

To my recollection, JR West stations have blue on their station name signs and JR Tokkai has orange. JR Shikoku has blue, JR Kyushu appears to have no colour. JR East and Hokkaido have green. The white on blue furigana signs also match Hokkaido.

So (assuming the above rules always hold) I would surmise that you were in Hokkaido somewhere.

Based on that 名寄 (Nayoru) would be my first guess. The platform stuff seems to match up (number of kanji in the name, the the length of the nearby stations seems to match the length

八雲 (Yakumo) and 幌延 (Horunobe) look like they might fit as well.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Yes it is on Hokkaido, but it is not any of the stations you mentioned. The Kanji counts are correct though.
paullb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by paullb »

The track layout seems to match Engaru (遠軽) down to the white line on the ground.

http://www2k.biglobe.ne.jp/~mistytwn/mint07.JPG

This really is a hard one.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

It's neither Engaru; sorry that it's so hard and too bad other aren't competing.

Yakumo station is the closest of the guessed stations to the mystery station. The mystery station is closer to the sea than Yakumo station though.
paullb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by paullb »

Geez, how did I miss that, its Nobribetsu. http://keikoro.web.infoseek.co.jp/CIMG15421.jpg

I've even been there...
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

paullb wrote:Geez, how did I miss that, its Nobribetsu.
Exactly
paullb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by paullb »

How about this one?
Attachments
mystery.JPG
mystery.JPG (30.15 KiB) Viewed 5660 times
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Kintetsu's platforms of Toba Station perhaps?
paullb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by paullb »

Toni Babelony wrote:Kintetsu's platforms of Toba Station perhaps?
Close, but not quite.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Then it must be Kashikojima Station.

http://snavinet.fc2web.com/Kashikojima2.JPG
paullb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by paullb »

Toni Babelony wrote:Then it must be Kashikojima Station.
Yep!! Your turn.

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”