improved bridges (crossing and diagonal)

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

yopefonic
Engineer
Engineer

improved bridges (crossing and diagonal)

Post by yopefonic »

oke i had 2 ideas that could improve the way that bridges can be used:

crossing bridges:
i think it would be a good idea to allow bridges to cross on another. not like a level crossing but that a bridge can cross another bridge below or above another.

example:
i have a lake where a train goes from N-E to S-W on level 1 and i have a road bridge on level 3 going from N-W to S-E. this is a plausible and realistic scenario i think. but right now this is not possible.

possible problems:
  • - bridges are higher then 1 level so a 2 level margin needs to be kept.
  • - some types of bridges cannot be crossed over (like hanging bridges are almost always very tall).
diagonal train bridges:
a diagonal train bridge would make life a lot easier whilst making big train junctions. a lot of space that would be normally used to give the bridges room can now be used to get a more smoother and flowing junction so that trains can pass true faster.

possible problems:
  • - it needs to be figured out how to drg the bridges, where will a track end and bridge start?
  • - can two of these diagonal bridges run direcly next to each other just like other diagonal track?
i hope you guy's can do something with this. it would make life for the bridge builders among us a bit more easy.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: improved bridges (crossing and diagonal)

Post by athanasios »

Suggested over 1000 times...

Nevertheless we agree. :mrgreen:
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
ev.delen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ev.delen »

yopefonic wrote:oke i had 2 ideas that could improve the way that bridges can be used:
  • - it needs to be figured out how to drg the bridges, where will a track end and bridge start?
Why's it need to be draggable? Maybe push CTRL and cycles between directions, becomes red if going on level ground or impossible land height combination (ie. needs to be a depression of some sort). Can also add cycle option for un-even grade (ie. start and end are 50m difference)

99% of bridges in real life are straight, so really have no need to drag.

I guess it needs to be draggable for fly-overs and stuff, but that should also be a cycle option. Would make really long bridges easier too.

Maybe make click start point, click end point??? just throwing ideas out there...

Now, if anything needs to be draggable, tunnels. And they should be allowed to have un-even grade. regardless of what is in between... the Channel Tunnel's elavation varies quite a lot while it travels under water, they needed to follow a particular seam in the earth.

As an aside, i'm currently playing the UK scenario, and the only oil ref is in France, don't want to have to build a bridge... ah well.
yopefonic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yopefonic »

athanasios wrote:Suggested over 1000 times...

Nevertheless we agree. :mrgreen:
havn't found it here on the board... anyways i did not find any and it's also not on the roadmap.
ev.delen wrote:
yopefonic wrote:oke i had 2 ideas that could improve the way that bridges can be used:
Why's it need to be draggable? Maybe push CTRL and cycles between directions, becomes red if going on level ground or impossible land height combination (ie. needs to be a depression of some sort). Can also add cycle option for un-even grade (ie. start and end are 50m difference)

99% of bridges in real life are straight, so really have no need to drag.

I guess it needs to be draggable for fly-overs and stuff, but that should also be a cycle option. Would make really long bridges easier too.

Maybe make click start point, click end point??? just throwing ideas out there...
i was talking about if you can only land on a diagonal slope of both diagonal and traight like you can do with the current bridges.

about the reality of things... if you have a diagonal piece of water you will have to cross it traight, so in perspective to the body of water you are crossing diagonal. when with the diagional bridge option you can cross that body of water traight in perspective of the piece of water.
ev.delen wrote: Now, if anything needs to be draggable, tunnels. And they should be allowed to have un-even grade. regardless of what is in between... the Channel Tunnel's elavation varies quite a lot while it travels under water, they needed to follow a particular seam in the earth.

As an aside, i'm currently playing the UK scenario, and the only oil ref is in France, don't want to have to build a bridge... ah well.
-1 level would also be something i would agree on, but already suggested on the board i've seen...

an idea to "solve" your problem is to make the scenatio so that 99% of the water is chanals, there are some issue there i know but you can cross theres with a tunnel
ev.delen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ev.delen »

yopefonic wrote: -1 level would also be something i would agree on, but already suggested on the board i've seen...

an idea to "solve" your problem is to make the scenatio so that 99% of the water is chanals, there are some issue there i know but you can cross theres with a tunnel
Nice plan!
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

ev.delen wrote:
yopefonic wrote: -1 level would also be something i would agree on, but already suggested on the board i've seen...

Nice plan!
Guy's from Netherland. They now something about channels and sea construction ;)
Besides, with rivers in trunk, it might actually work.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”