OTTD Portable please? (not PSP but USB)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

relequestual
Engineer
Engineer

OTTD Portable please? (not PSP but USB)

Post by relequestual »

Im not sure if this has already been done but i cant find it if it has!
I want to be able to play OTTD off my USB on any computer. I know you can with simutrans, but it just dnt compare to OTTD!
I may have a little go at it, by copying the install folder onto the usb, but i doubt that will work.
Anyone got any ideas/can do it?

The psp version sounds good, but i really want a USB version too! would be real awsum!
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: OTTD Portable please? (not PSP but USB)

Post by Digitalfox »

You just need to copy your OpenTTD folder to a USB pen and that's it, start OpenTTD executable from the usb pen..

I use that to play OpenTTD from various computers, home, at work, etc...
relequestual
Engineer
Engineer

Post by relequestual »

*hands up* ok, it appears to work on my computer, just wouldnt on the one college one for some odd reason
i shall have to try it again. tis rather awsum
tb2571989
Director
Director

Post by tb2571989 »

I run it from my usb, works a treat.

Make sure that the patch setting are written to the memory stick, and not the c: drive like what happened to mine.
What about you? Will you join me when the time comes to be a hero?
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

I would do it at school, but they have stopped .exe from running.
We did have a way of getting around it for a bit, but they stopped that too. (we put a shortcut on the quicklaunch bar)
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

relequestual wrote:*hands up* ok, it appears to work on my computer, just wouldnt on the one college one for some odd reason
The system administrators of your college may have disabled the running of aunauthorized executables to protect their computers.
Guess what! I got a fever! And the only prescription...... is MORE COWBELL!
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

May I suppose that they don't allow you to boot from the USB stick too?
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Spaz O Mataz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spaz O Mataz »

If nothing else is on the USB drive. you could make the drive a stripped down Linux with only what is needed for OpenTTD to run installed. this would mean a very big increase in speed of the game. if you want to do this then just Google it all free aswell.
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

We've managed to boot linux at school from a usb stick. Then the technicians came into the IT room. Luckily they didnt notice :p
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

You can boot/install almost whatever you like from USB sticks. E.G. Microsoft Windows. Just Google to learn how.

maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

athanasios wrote:You can boot/install almost whatever you like from USB sticks. E.G. Microsoft Windows. Just Google to learn how.
Booting is not going to work though if it is disabled in the BIOS. I work at a rather secure company as we deal with secure data, and every computer has a BIOS password, and booting from anything other then the hard drive is disabled or moved to the back of the list.

Especially since there are many Linux CD's out there that can boot and reset the local admin password, and thus people can get full access to the system if they want.

I would imagine that school computers will be configured the same. I would anyways, knowing how many "students" life goal it is do something ELSE with school computers then they are supposed to :P
Guess what! I got a fever! And the only prescription...... is MORE COWBELL!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Well, once you get your hands on the hardware, you HAVE root, whether anyone likes it or not. The only question is how much your hands have to be on the hardware. Walking out with the hard disk, for example, works, but can be more than a little difficult to explain.

Conversely, without getting your hands on the hardware, you can't be absolutely certain that you have root.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

maartena wrote:I would imagine that school computers will be configured the same. I would anyways, knowing how many "students" life goal it is do something ELSE with school computers then they are supposed to :P
Guilty, and it was their own fault for running 98 at the time :P

If you need a tiny version of Linux, you could use Damn Small Linux (Debian, iirc) which is only 50mb and incorporates most of what you would need (except NTFS support the last time I used it). http://www.damnsmalllinux.org
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Of course you can bypass the BIOS password if you bypass the BIOS itself! (some extra hardware and a screwdriver needed) :wink:

That's a bit tricky and you may end destroying the BIOS of the M/B, so if it is not your own PC and you don't have experience don't even think about it :!:

Volatar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Volatar »

I also run OTTD off of a flash drive of mine. I plug it in at school and play, my teacher doesn't care but it helps to be safe if a principal (vice, assistant, or otherwise) walk in. Works great and allows me to move my save game back and forth and play on any computer. Its also great for sneaking playtime even if your parents play OTTD

*playing*
*front door opens*
"oh crap!" *saves*
*parent walks up stairs*
*ejects flash drive and stuff in pocket*
"What are you doing on the computer?"
"I was looking at it."
"uh huh..." *parent pulls up the OTTD copy on the Hard Drive and checks saves* "just checking"

:wink:
NCarlson
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by NCarlson »

T-Unit wrote:I would do it at school, but they have stopped .exe from running.
We did have a way of getting around it for a bit, but they stopped that too. (we put a shortcut on the quicklaunch bar)
Best such workaround ever was at my high school (and they never caught on). They disabled access to the C drive, but if you redirected an existing shortcut to it, you would get unrestricted access (generally a really bad system that broke normal use, but didn't stop anything malicious).
UltraNub
Engineer
Engineer

Post by UltraNub »

Volatar wrote:I also run OTTD off of a flash drive of mine. I plug it in at school and play, my teacher doesn't care but it helps to be safe if a principal (vice, assistant, or otherwise) walk in. Works great and allows me to move my save game back and forth and play on any computer. Its also great for sneaking playtime even if your parents play OTTD

*playing*
*front door opens*
"oh crap!" *saves*
*parent walks up stairs*
*ejects flash drive and stuff in pocket*
"What are you doing on the computer?"
"I was looking at it."
"uh huh..." *parent pulls up the OTTD copy on the Hard Drive and checks saves* "just checking"

:wink:
Total Approx Time: 40 seconds
Total Approx Time(If you installed SECRET second Copy): 39.9999999999 seconds

Either way "TYCOON"!!!
ERROR: Signature Not Found, Search Behind Couch? Y/N
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

Assuming you got Windows, you could make a relatively hidden folder which won't show up easily, using the Attrib command line tool. You just gotta remember where you left the folder :D

Here... (assuming c:\ottd as where you've got OTTD)

Code: Select all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\AntB>attrib c:\ottd +s +h /d /s
Then all you need is a CMD file containing...

Code: Select all

c:\ottd\openttd.exe
Use quotes if there's spaces in your path :) then all you have to do is save and exit.

If you need to get to that folder just type the path in to an address bar and there ya go.

Its come in handy a few times that little trick. :D Especially when I was in school ;)

Edit: Dalestan pointed somthing out :)
Last edited by AntBUK on 21 Dec 2007 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

No, you can't. At least not that way. I've got both hidden and system files showing up in Explorer.
ADS (if it's actually usable) and the Sony rootkit will hide things from Explorer, but not from the proper scanning tools. (ADSSpy and RootkitRevealer, respectively.)

There is a way to hide things even from those scanning tools, but it's prohibitively complex[0], and even that can't conceal a drive that can no longer hold as much data as it used to be able to hold.

[0] Details withheld for obvious reasons, but the words "kernel mode" appear.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

I have no idea why I claimed truly hidden as like you said, various programs can still find them.

But, what are the odds of a parent running those tools to just find out a copy of OpenTTD and check a save? :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”