Multiplayer is a waste of time

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

User avatar
bruce89
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 76
Joined: 06 Dec 2005 17:28
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by bruce89 »

I prefer to not have passwords in muliplayer, but for 3 times in a row, my company has fallen into stupid hands. Incidentally, today's user was "natasha bad girl". It's obvious there are a lot of idiots out there, there ought to be a way of banning them forever.

Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer
Posts: 3815
Joined: 09 Feb 2006 19:15

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by Rubidium »

Then show us a way of banning bad people in such a manner they can never join to a server.

Tom0004
Chairman
Chairman
Posts: 822
Joined: 01 Jul 2007 22:33
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by Tom0004 »

thats your own personal preference,

no password = company to be wrecked !!!

User avatar
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 1734
Joined: 22 Jun 2005 19:15

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by White Rabbit »

I still refuse to set a password, even though it has cost me dearly before (my company has been ruined by the same person...a baron something...several times). It goes against my principles of an open doors company. I want everyone to enjoy (if they can :P) what I build. It can be very fun and useful to have random people play with you. I strongly support and encourage non-passworded companies, and hope that you too can trust in the good nature of people (wow, it's like being against condoms and hoping for the best when you do it :lol:)
Image

User avatar
bruce89
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 76
Joined: 06 Dec 2005 17:28
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by bruce89 »

Rubidium wrote:Then show us a way of banning bad people in such a manner they can never join to a server.
Some kind of registration system before being allowed in seems right, that way, it's easy to ban eejits.

Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer
Posts: 3815
Joined: 09 Feb 2006 19:15

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by Rubidium »

bruce89 wrote:
Rubidium wrote:Then show us a way of banning bad people in such a manner they can never join to a server.
Some kind of registration system before being allowed in seems right, that way, it's easy to ban eejits.
And how to stop people from registering a second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth,.... time and then trashing games again?

You will only get a big database with nicknames that are banned and never used again.

User avatar
Ploes
President
President
Posts: 957
Joined: 30 Jul 2006 16:04
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by Ploes »

I set a password, but then I will give the password out to people who want it.

You can kind of tell whats going to happen when they join and immediately as for passwords, and also how they ask for passwords!

Also the reaction to saying ¨No¨ gives you a good idea. :lol:

Said no to one guy and he went ¨Mental¨. Fortunately I was the server so he got booted.... what was funny was he was trying to use an open door style argument to get me to let him in...... with added swear words!!

User avatar
bruce89
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 76
Joined: 06 Dec 2005 17:28
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by bruce89 »

Rubidium wrote:And how to stop people from registering a second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth,.... time and then trashing games again?
Have a period of a week where newly registered users can only make a new company or join a password protected company, I doubt wreckers would be willing to wait a week before destroying stuff. Wikipedia have a system like this, it means for 48 hours, users can't create new pages or edit "semi-protected"pages. This stops registrations just to spam, as people don't have the patience.

Ypu could even check the IP addressess of people registering, only allow an IP address to register once per day or somewthing.

Masacru
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 7
Joined: 22 Sep 2007 20:31

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by Masacru »

bruce89 wrote:I prefer to not have passwords in muliplayer, but for 3 times in a row, my company has fallen into stupid hands. Incidentally, today's user was "natasha bad girl". It's obvious there are a lot of idiots out there, there ought to be a way of banning them forever.

O my god !What a concidention !!!!I found out about OTTD last 2 days.I joined a server (i haven't set a password to my company, didn't know) and "natasha bad girl" joined it and removed all my stuff.)Then she was saying "I'm bad" and stuff like that.

Try to put password to your company , and i usually found good servers with nice people :)

Cappie
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 26
Joined: 16 Nov 2006 19:53

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by Cappie »

bruce89 wrote:Have a period of a week where newly registered users can only make a new company or join a password protected company, I doubt wreckers would be willing to wait a week before destroying stuff. Wikipedia have a system like this, it means for 48 hours, users can't create new pages or edit "semi-protected"pages. This stops registrations just to spam, as people don't have the patience.
You realise how annoying this would be to users that mean no harm, right? You *could* just use the excellent "retard-protection" thats already built into the game instead of asking for more.
bruce89 wrote:Ypu could even check the IP addressess of people registering, only allow an IP address to register once per day or somewthing.
Changing IP is easier than changing underwear.

ThePenguin
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 40
Joined: 15 May 2007 16:49

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by ThePenguin »

A hardware hash? Take things like cpu type/serial,hard drive type/serial,ram type/serial,etc and make a hash from it and register it to that account. No other account could have that hash.

Spaz O Mataz
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 52
Joined: 08 Mar 2004 21:14
Location: Sunderland UK

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by Spaz O Mataz »

why not then look at a banning system based on a persons MAC address it's unique to each network adapter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address has more info on it. it takes a lot of work for someone to change that.

Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer
Posts: 3815
Joined: 09 Feb 2006 19:15

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by Rubidium »

Spaz O Mataz wrote:why not then look at a banning system based on a persons MAC address it's unique to each network adapter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address has more info on it. it takes a lot of work for someone to change that.
Please read the supplied Wiki page properly as it will tell you that most OSes allow you to change the MAC address. Ergo... absolutely useless.
ThePenguin wrote:A hardware hash? Take things like cpu type/serial,hard drive type/serial,ram type/serial,etc and make a hash from it and register it to that account. No other account could have that hash.
OpenTTD is opensource, so I can send any garbage I want to sent as cpu type/serial,hard drive type/serial,ram type/serial,etc. Ergo... absolutely useless.

Spaz O Mataz
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 52
Joined: 08 Mar 2004 21:14
Location: Sunderland UK

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by Spaz O Mataz »

mmm didn't know that was told in a cisco networking class off the teacher. the only other thing would be to ban ip addresses or make it so everyone else in the game must agree to allowing that person join.

User avatar
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 3138
Joined: 23 Jun 2005 00:09
Contact:

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by athanasios »

If someone wants to cause trouble and has some experience, there is no way to stop him. :(
A guy went into NATO without even knowing the password to log in. Their encryption didn't bother him from going through their satellite.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.


I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.

Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Posts: 682
Joined: 19 Feb 2005 09:08
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by Jupix »

Rubidium wrote:Please read the supplied Wiki page properly as it will tell you that most OSes allow you to change the MAC address. Ergo... absolutely useless.
I disagree, at least it would discourage harmful users from vandalizing openttd games, as they would have to actually do something to regain access to the games...
#################

User avatar
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 1100
Joined: 22 Aug 2006 11:03
Location: Austria
Contact:

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by doktorhonig »

I'm also a victim of natasha. Actually I didn't use a password, because I have no problem, if people join and continue with my company. I'll use passwords from now on, it's better that way.

ThePenguin
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 40
Joined: 15 May 2007 16:49

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by ThePenguin »

Would it be possible to have a seperate exe that isn't under the open source license that the OpenTTD server communicates with for the the hardware hash? Not openttd? And that be a setting that some servers require.

Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer
Posts: 3815
Joined: 09 Feb 2006 19:15

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by Rubidium »

Problem remains that the open sourced binary still has to send the reply to the server, which... well can fairly easily be circumvented. The server has furthermore NO way to check whether the hash is actually correct. To do this it needs to do the hashing as is done in the closed sourced binary. So it can either call the binary with some parameters to get the hash. Problem of this is that the hash can then easily be facked as one can change the OTTD client to get the hash of some garbage data sent into the closed source binary.

Second problem is having such an application that works on ALL OSes we currently have *and* makes it possible to port OTTD easily to other platforms.

User avatar
bruce89
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 76
Joined: 06 Dec 2005 17:28
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Multiplayer is a waste of time

Post by bruce89 »

ThePenguin wrote:Would it be possible to have a seperate exe that isn't under the open source license that the OpenTTD server communicates with for the the hardware hash? Not openttd? And that be a setting that some servers require.
No, because I use Linux.

Seriously, the options proposed here seem sound. The arguement that the source code is GPL meaning anyone can see it and so circumvent any hashing algolrithm is silly, as the people who do the vandalising probably don't know C++ (neither do I (thankfully)). They are obviously infantile idiots, so I don't think they have the skills to get the sourcecode let alone modify it and compile it.

Post Reply

Return to “General OpenTTD”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests