Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Mumia
Engineer
Engineer

Pixel doubling

Post by Mumia »

Hi!

I think it would be a good idea, to have an option to make pixels bigger, becuase the original ttd was meant to be used on 15-17 inch monitors with 640x480 resolution. Current monitors however have a much larger resolution and especially with lcd-s you're limited to use the native resolution, and it can be very hard on the eyes. I hope it's understandable what'm suggesting. I mean there should be an option in the game to make one game pixel take up four dots on the display. This way if you're using for example 1680x1050 resolution, the game would look like it's about 840x525, which would be much more pleasing on a 19-20 inch monitor. Because right now my eyes start hurting after only a few minutes of ttd. I could either be an option in the menu, or simply the ingame zoom could have this feature. But the first option would be better, because it would be nice if not only the game would be bigger, but the buttons and menus and signs too.

Thanks for your time.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Pixel doubling

Post by DaleStan »

On Windows, this is already an option. Type <ctrl-D>.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Not anymore IIRC.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

XeryusTC wrote:Not anymore IIRC.
0.5.2 still supports it.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
RainierWatcher
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RainierWatcher »

or just go to options then perhaps 640*480 and press full screen. Not exactly what you want, but it's OK.
Ways of Preventing Death:
* Don't breathe air. Seriously. Everyone born before 1870 breathed the substance at some point in their life and every one of them is dead today. A coincidence? I think not.
Taken from uncyclopedia
Elukka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Elukka »

I don't see how higher resolutions on larger monitors make TTD less easy on the eyes. You just see more, which i think is good.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

You could ofcourse configure your graphics subsystem to have 840x525 as possible resolution.
Mumia
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mumia »

Elukka wrote:I don't see how higher resolutions on larger monitors make TTD less easy on the eyes. You just see more, which i think is good.
It's not that hard. I'll show. my old 15" CRT has a screen height of 21cm. So in ttd each pixel would be 0.435mm in height. But on my WS LCD which has a resolution of 900 and a height of 25cm. Each pixel is about 0.27mm which is almost half of the original. It's just too small for me, that's all. I could use 640x480, but it would look bad on the lcd screen, and I couldn't run it in a window then. I tried configuring custom resolutions but my graphics driver rejected the resolutions. If it'd work then it would look ok, but I still wouldn't be able to run it in windowed mode.

BTW ctrl-D really works, so it's not a problem anymore, but I searched for this and didn't find it, where is this function mentioned?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Mumia wrote:So in ttd each pixel would be 0.435mm in height. But on my WS LCD which has a resolution of 900 and a height of 25cm. Each pixel is about 0.27mm which is almost half of the original.
FVO "almost half" that are substantially closer to "two-thirds": 62.1%.
Mumia wrote:BTW ctrl-D really works, so it's not a problem anymore, but I searched for this and didn't find it, where is this function mentioned?
Nowhere, probably.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Grolsch
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Grolsch »

Mumia wrote:
BTW ctrl-D really works, so it's not a problem anymore, but I searched for this and didn't find it, where is this function mentioned?
How about: on the main page of the manual?
Beer equals power
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Grolsch wrote:How about: on the main page of the manual?
You mean this?
manual wrote:# Semaphores (CTRL-D to place them)
(Yes, I know it's futher down the article... I've just noted this incoherence)

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”