UK Road Vehicle Set [Version 1 of Tram Set released]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

UK Road Vehicle Set [Version 1 of Tram Set released]

Post by Ameecher »

This is the UK Tram Set thread where all development of the Trams across the UK will be developed for TTDP (since ARVs are relavitely stable in most recent builds of the patch).

Dave Worley has very kindly agreed to be my coder and I will draw all the graphics myself (most of which were used in the former British Tram Set from which I have now withdrawn) but there I there are some trams that need drawing for the future as well some Blackpool ones.

Edinburgh Trams will probably get in here when I found out which trams they will be using, construction works on the route is expected to begin some point this year.

Do not expect development to go at lightning pace since both Dave and I have exams to do first

I intend to do all drawing myself but requests will be considered (so long as they are in the UK - this does not include Eire (Ireland)).
[Edit 10th May 2007, 16:40] A website has been created. Please note that this is still under construction but the basics are there (apologies for the HTML :P)[/edit]
[Edit 11th June 2007, 16:20] Poll added.
[Edit 7th August 2007, 20:32] Poll removed, set renamed to UK Road Vehicles Set.
[Edit 9th October 2007, 20:17] ukts_r1.grf released. Download found here.
Last edited by Ameecher on 09 Oct 2007 19:18, edited 10 times in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Please note that this set is not affiliated with the British Tram Set.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Was there some kind of argument here?

Becuause, although I can't be bothered to trawl through the other tramset thread and find who made each graphic, I'd much rather have an everyone-driven project. :?

Edit: You see, you people seem to be trying to brush something under the carpet, in a manner of speaking.

Edit edit: Ah, I've just read the logs, and I think I get it now. I'm not one for retracting statements though, so I'll let this stand. You don't need to regard it though. I'm happy with everything, I hope I can have some awesome UK trams before too long. :)
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I ultimately drew almost all of the graphics for the British Tram Set and yes you are right Jonty, there was a bit of a falling out, check the last few hours of IRC logs for the final straws.

Kirk and I had a bit of a falling out and I am taking this oppurtunity to breathe a bit of life into the set and I have checked with Henry and he doesn't mind me doing this so this is what I am doing.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Please do not contaminate this thread by reasons why the old one closed, any further posts about this or of ill will be removed.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Well said Lakie.

At last a bit of coherence.

Ameecher intends to draw nearly everything for himself (which isn't that much different from the original anyway - Gavin had pretty much drawn everything bar the Sheffield Supertram and a couple of other views).

He's finalising what will be included over the next few days but trams from the following areas are included:

Blackpool,
Sheffield,
Manchester,
Nottingham,
Croydon,
The Midlands

and many more, including Edinburgh and perhaps the inclusion of some other places as trams pop-up into use around the country again.

Flickr

lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

This is a very exciting development. I've been looking for a good, articulated tram set. Considering the amount of work put into ARVs, a set needs to be made.

Even more exciting, Davey is learning to code.

Any chance of doing the Docklands LRVs (if that's their proper name)? These'd be neat to run on their own dedicated tram line. :D
Dave

Post by Dave »

Since the BR Set won't be finished before the third coming of Jesus, and we're pretty likely to have eis_os finishing the new map array by then (or not! :P), I was thinking of having the DLR as it's own track type.

The fact is that in Britain the number of track types is rare. I can personally only think of these:
  • Unelectrified Standard Gauge
  • 25kV AC OHLE Standard Gauge
  • 1.5kV DC OHLE Standard Gauge
  • 750v DC Third Rail Standard Gauge
  • Unelectrified Narrow Gauge
  • Docklands Light Railway
  • Once it's finished, the CTRL which will be a High Speed rail link.
The Tyne and Wear Metro runs on a system similar to the old Woodhead route - 1.5kV DC OHLE... I think.

There's not much other than that! If Oskar increases the number of track types to 8, we're laughing.

All we need then is more IDs :P

Alas, this is off-topic.

(NOTE: I realise that a lot of trams run on heavy rail style lines - the Manchester trams do, and so do the Mid Mets... And indeed they utilise former heavy rail infrastructure (The Manc trams are even built to be able to use the platforms of former British Rail stations), but this isn't available for display in TTD because of the scale of trains to roadvehicles).

I do wonder if there's a track slot spare if we can't make some sort of rail system so that the trams would be available on them too... I dunno. Just a thought.

Discuss, anyway.

Flickr

lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

Do you guys still want my Croydon tram?
It's not me in my avatar, it's a time lord!

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
-Douglas Adams
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

I think having loads of different track types is a bit too realistic really.
For instance, we (should) all know that in real life you can't just plonk a SH'125 on a track built in 1923 for a Collett Pannier Tank engine, you have to upgrade the line. But we don't, because that'd be too over-the-top.

I think having just the existing tram tracks is fine for now. It makes it easier for all the people out there that aren't rail buffs. :P
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

lws1984 wrote:Do you guys still want my Croydon tram?
I may ask permission for that at a later date Lewis, however I am keen to do all the drawing myself so that there is a common style.
lifeblood wrote:Any chance of doing the Docklands LRVs (if that's their proper name)? These'd be neat to run on their own dedicated tram line.
I am reluctant to include the DLR and Tyne and Wear metros at the moment because they are all more like their own seperate rail networks, they don't operate roads at any point. I may consider it at some point but that would mean overwriting slots that are already used by train sets. It'd be complicated.

Thanks for the support guys!
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

True enough, Davey and Ameecher. I was dreaming of having something a little quicker than a tram, but less obtrusive to my towns and cities than a double-track railway, to move passengers around.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Well some of the modern trams can do 50mph, although the older ones do trundle around at 20mph :P

Edit: I've just thought of another reason not to do the Tyne and Wear Metro. The T&W shares its tracks with freight trains to the North of Newcastle so using tram graphics would be unrealistic.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Here is a mock up of what the CR4000 (Croydon tram - almost identical to some of the trams that run in Cologne). It's a bit bright on the / view and the moment and obviously needs some \ views doing. But this is proof that I will actually do some stuff on this set.
Attachments
Croydonmock.PNG
Croydonmock.PNG (1.13 KiB) Viewed 15724 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

Looking good as ever Gav.

Flickr

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Thanks Dave.

Dug out of the archive with a few little changes. The Nottingham Express Transit.
Attachments
netmock.PNG
netmock.PNG (2.72 KiB) Viewed 15654 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Is it correct there are no (rubber) connectors between the coaches?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

They are on the actual sprites, I just dug this mock-up out of my sprites folder. So it isn't correct but the actual sprites are correct.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

About half an hour of messing about in paint (I really ought to be doing some revision :roll: ) this is the result.

Sheffield Supertram, New Livery (top) and old livery (bottom)
Attachments
supertrammock.PNG
supertrammock.PNG (1.04 KiB) Viewed 15546 times
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

The front and back cars seem too short (in comparison to the middle one) - you're missing a window at each end.
Attachments
Supertram.png
Supertram.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 15480 times

Return to “Graphics Development”