North American Roads Set v0.8c [30 May 2008] - ** Update **

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

lifeblood
President
President

North American Roads Set v0.8c [30 May 2008] - ** Update **

Post by lifeblood »

Hello,

I am now working on completing the US Road Set. My to-do list current has:

[X]Bus and Truck terminal surfaces
[X]narrow-gauge support
[X]monorail and maglev support - thanks to Skidd13!
[X]reducing the intensity of the snow banks on snowy roads
[ ]adding two extra pixels to the stop lines [EDIT: I'm not doing this.]

That's all, for now.

Is there anything else that people would like to see. Please do not ask me to add custom bridge support.

As well, should there be an option for left-hand drive (placing the stop-line on the left side of the road?) Or is it safe to assume that the US Roads set can push the right-hand drive standard, because these are US Roads. Please don't attack me, I'm just keeping an eye on the sprite count, and the amount of work for me and Mr. Coder. :D [EDIT: This has been decided, both left and right hand drive will be supported.]
Last edited by lifeblood on 01 Jun 2008 23:59, edited 10 times in total.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Yes please:
- Support of Pikka's Viaduct grf
- Support of Robs Candilever bridge (bridgew.grf)

Thank you. :D
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

The most important of all is to support Pikka's bridge. Currently, it detects the US & UK roadsets (maybe other too) and adjusts it's sprites.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: US Road Set Completion

Post by wallyweb »

lifeblood wrote:Bus and Truck terminal surfaces
I assume this includes the drive through stations.
lifeblood wrote:narrow-gauge support
Always good to have.
lifeblood wrote:reducing the intensity of the snow banks on snowy roads
Would be fun if these could be animated as in snow drifting across the road. I'll go hide now.
lifeblood wrote:adding two extra pixels to the stop lines
I never noticed those.
lifeblood wrote:Please do not ask me to add custom bridge support.
Perhaps you could have a basic, all orientation, surface sprite set available for bridge set artists to access quickly without the need to chase around for permission to use them. Also, when they do use them, you could list those bridge sets that have adopted them.
lifeblood wrote:As well, should there be an option for left-hand drive (placing the stop-line on the left side of the road?) Or is it safe to assume that the US Roads set can push the right-hand drive standard, because these are US Roads. Please don't attack me, I'm just keeping an eye on the sprite count, and the amount of work for me and Mr. Coder. :D
A British road set with British markings already exists. Are there any left driving countries that use North American style markings?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

The Irish wrote:Yes please:

lifeblood wrote:Please do not ask me to add custom bridge support.
:p
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

wallyweb wrote:
Drive-through stations are already supported. I'm not sure what you mean, Wally.
Wally wrote:
I never noticed those.
They look rather odd once you do notice.
Wally wrote:Perhaps you could have a basic, all orientation, surface sprite set available for bridge set artists to access quickly without the need to chase around for permission to use them. Also, when they do use them, you could list those bridge sets that have adopted them.
Not a bad idea at all.
Wally wrote:A British road set with British markings already exists. Are there any left driving countries that use North American style markings?
None that I can think of. There are two American countries that do so, but they're Surinam and Guyana, which don't use North American markings.
...custom bridges...
It's up to the author of the bridge set to include road surface support. Plus, pikka's viaduct already works with the US Roads.
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

OK, need a web site?
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Desolator wrote:OK, need a web site?
Thank you for the offer, but as this has KRTaylor's blessing, it'll probably just go on the USSet website.

I started with the terminals, and I decided to give the bus terminal a face-lift to something more fitting for all in-game generations. I may put some billboards on the brick walls, if I have enough patience to draw little, tiny Coke and Pepsi logos.
Attachments
TERMINAL MOCK-UP.png
TERMINAL MOCK-UP.png (72.45 KiB) Viewed 27191 times
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Why not a TTDp/OTTD/TTDX logo? Or, say, a random companies logo. Why coke/pepsi? They're liek Sugar and Salt. Coca-cola being the Sugar.
Last known as: Weirdy
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

lifeblood, I think that the asphalt (red circle) is a too big surface without details.
How about adding light colour, just like on standard roads between lanes, somewhere to the terminal?

Also, there is a illusion of ugly vertical line (marked by yellow line) created by pavement and a wall. Could you please show terminal with a shorter/longer wall?

Furthermore, try adding some shade to asphalt near wall, and/or bottom of the wall

I like US roads style, and this looks very promising so keep up :)
Attachments
tmep.png
tmep.png (22.52 KiB) Viewed 27151 times
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Weirdy wrote:Why not a TTDp/OTTD/TTDX logo? Or, say, a random companies logo. Why coke/pepsi? They're liek Sugar and Salt. Coca-cola being the Sugar.
Because this is supposed to be American. Idealy, it should look like a Norman Rockwell painting. I suppose I could do GM and Ford banners as well.
Meush wrote:lifeblood, I think that the asphalt (red circle) is a too big surface without details.
How about adding light colour, just like on standard roads between lanes, somewhere to the terminal?

Also, there is a illusion of ugly vertical line (marked by yellow line) created by pavement and a wall. Could you please show terminal with a shorter/longer wall?
I will fix the red circle. I can't do anything about the yellow line. I'm working within the sprite sizes of the original bus terminal.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

lifeblood wrote:
wallyweb wrote:
Drive-through stations are already supported. I'm not sure what you mean, Wally.
Well, I wasn't sure what you were going to do to the surfaces.
lifeblood wrote:
Wally wrote:
I never noticed those.
They look rather odd once you do notice.
Maybe I should drive a bit slower, huh? :lol:

Re the ads on the brick walls, once upon a time Coca-Cola (TM Reg'd) used to paint their name on the walls of brick buildings. There is one here in Saint John that is still visible, but its awfully faded so a photo is out of the question.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

... left/right drive ...
that is already in the existing set and it will remain that way - so anything that has something that looks like left/right will have to be included.
... drive through bus-stops ...
they will be placed on top of whatever the road surface - the updated set will not interfere with that.
... Pikka's Viaduct Bridge ...
this will be catered for by not replacing the wooden bridge sprites if the Viaduct set is active.
... other bridges ...
this is a nightmare to change as far too many sprites are shared. The CanSet will include updated bridges for standard gauge, narrow gauge as well as roads but only if the USRoadSet is loaded as well; and again the Viaduct bridge will not be affected.
... any other changes/updates ...
the road set simply replaces existing sprites, so anything that does not fit within this scheme is impossible to implement.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Finished with the terminals, unless someone can see an issue with them:

[EDIT: I have just fixed the really bright fence board, where the wood meets brick on the bottom right freight terminal. As well, I've added a more noticable curb under the fence on the two upper left bus terminals.
I gave up on the idea of billboards for now. My fine art skills are not so fine.]
Attachments
TERMINAL MOCK-UP.png
TERMINAL MOCK-UP.png (20.25 KiB) Viewed 26949 times
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote:Finished with the terminals, unless someone can see an issue with them ...
They are looking good - nice work.
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Ugh...I prefer the ones made for UK & US roadsets. stats4roads.grf
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

UPDATE!

My plans for making the snowy roads more asthetically pleaseing in urban areas has been dashed, for the roads would then look funny in rural areas. So, until TTDP or OTTD can identify urban/rural snowy roads, this will just have to wait. Having said that, I did add the snow from the orignal TTD roads to the US roads. They now look more messy, snowy, and cold. I also found and fixed the bug that makes the \ snowy level-crossing appear 2 pixels lower. Sorry, no pictures today.
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

This is very good news, Lifeblood. :D

The Irish wrote:Yes please:

You don't need to do the first one because Pikka already included US Road set support. You just need to give the viaduct a higher priority.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Thanks to Skidd13, the level crossings are now finished. (Skidd13 did the level crossings for maglev and monorail, I did the level crossings for narrow-gauge.) I also decided that the stop line is fine at 4 pixels because of the odd proportions of roads in TTD, and the 'drive-lines' that the vehicles follow. Adding extra lengths makes the stop lines look even more misplaced, I think.

So, art work is now complete! This'll be going to the coder shortly.

:D

Return to “Graphics Development”