The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Duhkhaa
Engineer
Engineer

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Duhkhaa »

Chrill wrote: 30 Oct 2023 08:06 We do come with other advantages, including the wonderful nature and clean air. As well as lovely summers, where depending on how far north you go you can get 24 hours of sunshine uninterrupted. In Stockholm at the peak, the sun sets at around 10pm and rises again around 3:30am. Of course at this latitude, even after sunset it doesn't really get dark because the sun is essentially hovering just below the horizon. You can easily go for a midnight stroll or even a midnight bath in a lake in the moonlight.

But it is fair to point out I had a Brazilian friend who spent two winters in Sweden and then moved back home. He loved learning to go skiing, he loved the Swedish summers, but he could not cope with the winters. It was too dark, too cold, too isolated. Admittedly he is currently in the process of moving to Norway so we shall see how long he lasts. :mrgreen:
I must admit that your arguments are convincing. Long summers, midnight dips in lakes, it's all very appealing. Maybe I should come only in summer and then get back home. :mrgreen:

Damn, it must be a big contrast with Brazil. We'll see how he does.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I usually eat Corn Flakes for breakfast every day, which is fortified with vitamin D (and other vitamins).

Given I grew up in the far north of Scotland, our summers were rather like those described in Stockholm - very long days in summer, without too much darkness at night, and very short days in winter. I’m a bit further south now, but the days are still pretty short in winter. That doesn’t generally bother me too much though - spring is never too far away.
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Asci Sector Vs Elite and Vega Trek!

Post by CTarana45 »

Asci Sector Vs Elite and Vega Trek! :lol: I think Asci Sector has advantages over Elite and Vega Trek! I think crashing into a planet is hard way to land! Elites lack of autopilot makes landing more challenging! I like 4x games the best!

Christopher Tarana
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Forum Looks Like real Tracks

Post by CTarana45 »

Forum Looks Like real Tracks! :lol: This is what real signals in Canada look like!

Christopher Tarana
Attachments
CN_Searchlight_Clear_Signal.jpg
CN_Searchlight_Clear_Signal.jpg (23.82 KiB) Viewed 162465 times
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

orudge wrote: 30 Oct 2023 21:27 Given I grew up in the far north of Scotland, our summers were rather like those described in Stockholm - very long days in summer, without too much darkness at night, and very short days in winter. I’m a bit further south now, but the days are still pretty short in winter. That doesn’t generally bother me too much though - spring is never too far away.
So you were more "northern" in your childhood than your current place Aberdeenshire (if the location in your forum setting was right). Even the famous game Euro Truck Simulator 2 (without mods) stopped at Aberdeen when exploring Scotland. I didn't know Scotland far north (Highlands) until one year ago when browsing maps (this is one of my ways of entertainment), finding the only large settlement, Inverness, and heading north again, finding Thurso, Wick, John O'Groats, Orkney and Shetland Islands... I love finding extreme locations when browsing maps, but I don't like living there - cold, dark, and rainy. Although they are much more southern than most parts of Sweden...

I will go to the University of Nottingham, UK campus for the remaining of my undergraduate study next year. Further southern than Scotland, I still heard someone wearing thick coats in September. Well, in my hometown and my current campus place, it should be still summer in September...
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Yes, I lived in Orkney for many a year. In the winter it was indeed often cold, dark and rainy. Summer could be nice though (not particularly warm though).
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I do Wordle daily, along with a variety of Heardle clones and some similar puzzles. It’s very rare that I have a day that I get every single one correct, but today was one of those days. :mrgreen:

ReHeardle #208
🔊🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

Heardle 1990s #563
🔈⬛️⬛️⬛️🟩⬜️⬜️

Heardle 2000s #474
🔊🟩⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

Heardle 2010s #268
🔊🟩⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

Heardle Christmas #27
🔉⬛️🟩⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

#Weirdle #582
🪗: 🟩⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

📷 #WhereTaken🌎 #274 3/6
🟦🟦🟦🟦🟨⬇️
🟦🟦🟦🟦🟨↘️
🟦🟦🟦🟦🟦🎉
⭐⭐⭐⭐

Framed #626
🎥 🟥 🟥 🟩 ⬛ ⬛ ⬛

Wordle 891 4/6*
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Edit: Nice one, phpBB, looks like the forum software replaces emojis with images and doesn’t know half the emojis here. 🤦‍♂️
Edit 2: Updated phpBB, and now things are looking good again. :)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Lovely, we got a phpbb update just so you can post games we all stopped playing two years ago. :mrgreen:

But I will join you on some Heardles. Where are you playing them? I found some Heardle sites, but nobody has a Share result feature like those you posted.

EDIT: Never mind, here we go!
https://heardledecades.com/

Heardle 1980s #584
🔊🟩⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

Heardle 1990s #564
🔉⬛️🟩⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

Heardle 2000s #475
🔇⬛️⬛️⬛️🟥⬛️⬛️

I won't even try 2010s, I know I cannot get it. Let's do some genres I think I know.

Heardle Rock #273
🔈⬛️⬛️🟥🟩⬜️⬜️

Heardle Metal #59
🔊🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

Huh. Might do these again in the future.

Wordle 892 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟨⬜⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Hey, some of us never stopped playing. :mrgreen: Though I did stop playing original Heardle, as Spotify ruined that pretty quickly.

My track records for these games - a lot of the music ones in particular are not especially brilliant:

Wordle - 685 played, 435 current/max streak, 99% win
Heardle Christmas (which reset at the start of November I think from last year) - 20 played, 12 won, 60% win rate, max streak 4
Heardle 1990s - 487 played, 163 won, 33.5% win rate, max streak 6
Heardle 2000s - 456 played, 231 won, 50.7% win rate, max streak 10
Heardle 2010s - 256 played, 95 won, 37.1% win rate, max streak 5
Reheardle - 207 played, 62 won, 30.0% win rate, max streak 4 (if I win tomorrow that'll bump up to 5)
Weirdle (Weird Al Yankovic songs!) - 408 played, 319 won, 78.2% win rate, max streak 18
Framed (guess the movie) - 598 played, 217 won, 36.29% win, max streak 6
Episode (guess the TV show, weekly) - 64 played, 30 won, 46.88% win, max streak 4
WhereTaken (guess the place the photo was taken) - 256 played, 68.4% win, max streak 9

I did used to do Worldle but got bored of that eventually, once it started repeating on me.

And yes, I probably have better things to do with my time, but it doesn't usually take me that long to get through them all. :)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

orudge wrote: 28 Nov 2023 23:28 Hey, some of us never stopped playing. :mrgreen: Though I did stop playing original Heardle, as Spotify ruined that pretty quickly.
So where do you find Weirdle, Framed, and Episode? I for one do not have anything better to do with my time, I quit my job and tomorrow is my last day. But I don't yet have anything new lined up. :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

I used to play Microsoft Wordament in high school. I think it contributed very little to my vocabulary. I searched for Wordle and it seems that it is more a "logic" than a "vocabulary" game. I tried, successfully guessed at the fifth line.
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

My Spotify Wrapped is in!
Actually not as cringe as i expected to be honest. Glad to see Cha Cha Cha in there, as well as my teenage love for N-Dubz still going strong, and the wonder 1975 still doing good in my charts.
2023-11-30 20_44_00-2023 Wrapped on Spotify.png
2023-11-30 20_44_00-2023 Wrapped on Spotify.png (8.48 KiB) Viewed 162080 times
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I still use Last.fm, and have done for the past 21 or so years, to scrobble my music from my PC and from my phone/iTunes.

I think the top song - by far - on my Apple Music online chart thing (which includes anything the kids play on the Alexa devices downstairs) is Baby Shark. I don’t know if it’s possible to hook Last.fm up to those devices but I don’t want to! :mrgreen:
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Chrill wrote: 28 Nov 2023 09:51 Lovely, we got a phpbb update just so you can post games we all stopped playing two years ago. :mrgreen:
the joy of owning the place xD
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

thx for the update
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

orudge wrote: 02 Dec 2023 07:51 I still use Last.fm, and have done for the past 21 or so years, to scrobble my music from my PC and from my phone/iTunes.

I think the top song - by far - on my Apple Music online chart thing (which includes anything the kids play on the Alexa devices downstairs) is Baby Shark. I don’t know if it’s possible to hook Last.fm up to those devices but I don’t want to! :mrgreen:
As do I! But I use Last.Fm scrobbler for Spotify, so I get a Spotify Wrapped and whatever Last.fm is cooking up too!

https://www.last.fm/user/ChrillDeVille
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I also use last.fm still! https://www.last.fm/user/adamRDL
I rarely check it these days, I kind of got fedup of songs being tagged wrongly, and it ruining the reports, like Eurovision songs are multiply tagged as ESC, ESC2022, Eurovision, so listening to them entirely ruins it all and gives me 2-3 different genres in one, I think last.fm just pushed tagging to users instead of doing it themselves, with zero quality checks, and its that hellscape now.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well if it isn't my most anticipated trailer in 10 years. I mean, Grand Theft Auto VI is two years from releasing (coming 2025) but it already looks amazing. Look at the atmosphere, the clouds, the ocean. And the scale! The skyscrapers do not stop. Vice City is far larger than Los Santos, yet we see rather serene countryside too. How large will this map end up being? Possibly twice the size of GTA V, I would guess.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 05 Dec 2023 09:02

Well if it isn't my most anticipated trailer in 10 years. I mean, Grand Theft Auto VI is two years from releasing (coming 2025) but it already looks amazing. Look at the atmosphere, the clouds, the ocean. And the scale! The skyscrapers do not stop. Vice City is far larger than Los Santos, yet we see rather serene countryside too. How large will this map end up being? Possibly twice the size of GTA V, I would guess.
It's certainly interesting, I hope the map is more interesting than V though. I find the V map more of an obstacle course, especially going from south to north, lots of nothing in the middle that does nothing for no one. I fear Rockstar are going even bigger, and I'm not sure they can populate it enough and make it all interesting. I think San Andreas was the most perfect size of a map, and a good ratio of mission critical and things to fill in the middle.

Return to “Off-Topic”