Trial Livery?

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Trial Livery?

Post by Raichase »

Snail wrote:but the Alstom livery will be a good start.
It's a shame that we can't have trains displaying a different livery only for the testing phase of their lives. Ie, while on trial, they display livery X, wheras when introduced for "all players", they take on livery Y...
Last edited by Raichase on 17 Jan 2007 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

That could be done via varaction 02s, but it would require A LOT of guesswork, and would not always work.
Formerly known as Lachie
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Why not? Does var 48 not do what you want?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Experimental liveries... that could be a wonderful feature :!:
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

WhiteHand wrote:That could be done via varaction 02s, but it would require A LOT of guesswork, and would not always work.
Well, that my point. As TTD feels the need to randomise intro dates, it's rather confusing.

Granted, we should take this discussion to the suggestions forum

EDIT: Split the topic out. Dalestan, for the uneducated, what DOES that do?
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

It tells you the current state of the vehicle type in question. One of
1) Vehicle type is generally available.
2) Vehicle type is exclusively available to as single player.
3) Vehicle type is on offer to a human player.

One thing it notably does not tell you is whether the vehicle was built during the testing phase.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Raichase wrote:
Snail wrote:but the Alstom livery will be a good start.
It's a shame that we can't have trains displaying a different livery only for the testing phase of their lives. Ie, while on trial, they display livery X, wheras when introduced for "all players", they take on livery Y...
Perhaps I am misunderstanding the question but here is my 2 cents worth:

1. Why must a testing phase livery be limited to only to the testing phase?
2. Does the change-over period have to be precise? Perhaps the game's variability is acceptable?
3 Perhaps a "1 year" overrun for the testing phase livery during which all players could then try the new equipment would be acceptable?
4. Can this feature be patched to accommodate a fixed repaint time?
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

wallyweb wrote:1. Why must a testing phase livery be limited to only to the testing phase?
Basically because such a feature would recreate the fact that the vehicle is just fresh from the factory and still in an experimental phase. This historically happened with lots of new engines, and during that phase the company is still debating whether to keep the vehicle or not. Therefore, an appropriate livery has usually not been designed yet, and the vehicle displays the constructor's color scheme.
wallyweb wrote:3 Perhaps a "1 year" overrun for the testing phase livery during which all players could then try the new equipment would be acceptable?
Well, I'd say that limiting this just to the company that is testing it would be better. It would be a more accurate recreation of what happens in the real world. Usually it's just one company that tests new rolling stock out. After the testing phase finishes, and therefore the engine is available to all companies, the already-existing vehicles of that type could see their livery changed, say, the first time they enter a depot.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I like the idea, but sets should also offer the ability to use the livery aftr testing as some people may like the testing livery.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

wallyweb wrote:1. Why must a testing phase livery be limited to only to the testing phase?
Provided the vehicle carries cargo, you could use livery refitting. During the test phase, you'll get the trial livery (the only one at that time). Lateron the player could refit to the real livery or retain the trial livery until the vehicle is sold or renewed. Vehicles bought after the test phase would not be refittable to the trial livery. Of course, at any time after the test phase you could get an automatic repaint too.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

DaleStan wrote:One thing it notably does not tell you is whether the vehicle was built during the testing phase.
I always meant alter it so that was stored on the vehicle but kept forgetting...
I believe storing a bit on the vehicle based off bit 2 would be good enough?

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I thought bit 2 was only set when the "A manufacturer has developed a new vehicle, would you like to test it?" window was open?
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

robotboy wrote:I like the idea, but sets should also offer the ability to use the livery aftr testing as some people may like the testing livery.
Yes, I'd want to keep my trail train in the trial livery, as a company advertisement (I assume the company chose me to test it for a reason ;))
ImageImage
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Sorry, I was referring to the bit by value, I meant bit 1.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

As of the last nightly, bit 9 in veh.modflags should show if it was built in the trail phase.
(Or just using "81 FF 00 02" will work, for testing for that bit). :)

Still working on adding it to planes, ships and road vehicles.
(Articulated Road Vehicles, should also have it set?)

~ Lakie
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Lakie wrote:As of the last nightly, bit 9 in veh.modflags should show if it was built in the trail phase.
Actually, bit 10, since bit 9 was already used in 2.6 for something else.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

So Lakie, what you're saying is, any trains built in the trial phase can now have a seperate livery? God, you're good. Now, to pester Pikka, DanMacK and Michael to start using this :D.
ImageImage
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

what about pestering WhiteHand?
Formerly known as Lachie
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

WhiteHand wrote:what about pestering WhiteHand?
He's a nonce.
ImageImage
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

> Now, to pester Pikka, DanMacK and Michael to start using this .

I don´t know of any "test liveries" for german trains.

regards
Michael

Return to “Suggestions”