Call for submissions: Graphics

Discuss a Transport Tycoon-like game being programmed by forum users.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Dave

Post by Dave »

And the texture?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Sorry

Post by maquinista »

Sorry, I drawed it because they don't have other graphics, and they need some graphics. I am not an artist, and I cann't draw it better.
I think that is better a bad draw than a empty draw.
If other person draw a better graphics (and allow to use it), it will replace my draws.

Graphic files in their CVS:
http://tt2.cvs.sourceforge.net/tt2/data/gfx/

A question: ¿Can you post some screnshoots of the actual program?
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If your not satisfied with the quality then offer an alternative. The fact of the matter is, we need something sooner rather than later and maquinista has been nice enough to offer something.

The only critisism I have of maquinista's work is not having 256x256 (or 128x128) sized textures. But he wasn't to know this...

Just so you know maquinista there is nothing to see at this time unfortunatley.
Ohad
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ohad »

Purno wrote:You can't be serious. Take a look at the attachment. A is how the T-crossing is currently detailed. B is how I'd detail it. IMO B looks way better than A.
You are talking about stupid lines, I don't think it is so hard to fix it,
except it, I think this is look very good.

I u want, u can be the lines manager...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Dave Worley wrote:And the texture?
Texture is acceptable, tho another texture may look better.
maquinista wrote:Sorry, I drawed it because they don't have other graphics, and they need some graphics.
As temporary graphics, for code-testing purposes, these are good enough, I imagine.
I am not an artist, and I cann't draw it better.
Ah come'on. Of course you can draw better. Just add some more details (and make each line the same length :wink: ). You seem to be able to work with the tools you have.
I think that is better a bad draw than a empty draw.
True.
If other person draw a better graphics (and allow to use it), it will replace my draws.
Are you sure you don't want to try improving your graphics yourself?
aarona wrote:Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If your not satisfied with the quality then offer an alternative. The fact of the matter is, we need something sooner rather than later and maquinista has been nice enough to offer something.
These graphics are, as I stated earlier in this post, indeed good for code-testing purposes. However, I guess we all want some better graphics for the game eventually?
Besides, I'm quite convinced maquinista has the talent to do better (take that as a compliment).
Ohad wrote:You are talking about stupid lines,
Lines aren't stupid. Most art is built up from lines, a right combination of lines defines wether the graphic looks bad or good.
I don't think it is so hard to fix it,
Indeed. It should be relatively easy to fix.
except it, I think this is look very good.
I'm not the one who decides wether graphics are good enough to be accepted. All I can say I hope to see better graphics ingame, eventually.
I u want, u can be the lines manager...
Is that meant to sound like a stupid, annoying, kinda insulting, trying to be funny, line?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Ohad
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ohad »

Purno wrote:Is that meant to sound like a stupid, annoying, kinda insulting, trying to be funny, line?
Yes, except the stupid, and it seems to work...

Anyway I think that there is A LOT of differences between:
"these graphics look quite ugly to me."
And:
"This graphics are not enough detailed".

I don't understand how the words "quite ugly" can be in constructive criticism.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

"Quite ugly" is my personal opinion. Tho I have to admit I should've be less hmmm.... what's the word.... agressive? Anyways, you got the point, I guess.

I'm usually very constructive and enthusiastic about peeps work, but I was quite shocked that peeps were that enthusiastic about these graphics. Perhaps because I'm an artist myself, and quite of a perfectionist person.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Google images:
Tarmac (for line image)
Asphalt texture
Grass texture

With a nice bending textures the only problem is to make nice, curved, white lines. This is just idea, it would probably look much better near other pieces of road and grass - now it's just wide and doesn't look nice.

I've got a 1024x1024 on my HDD but here you have smaller and compressed one:
Attachments
road.jpg
road.jpg (88.98 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Put the lines in the middle, vertically. Makes it more easy with different road tiles. :wink:
Image Image
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Looks very nice, but I don't think you'll need to add grass to a road texture as roads will have their own objects, or if they're drawn directly on the landscape some blending algoritms (shader probably ;)) will kick in to make it look nice :).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jpl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jpl »

Maybe this signal can be used for something?

XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Jpl wrote:Maybe this signal can be used for something?
That looks really good for a signal :D. I think we can surely use it for signals when we get the graphics up and running :).
It would be really helpfull if you didn't disapear and could give use a model of it when we are ready to implement it :).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jpl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jpl »

Heh. I won't disappear. I'm still watching how this project is going... I'll be back when it's time for it. :P
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Given that the graphics engine we might be using (TRoS) is just around the corner I have gone to the liberty of preparing something using a different graphics engine that will hopefully be similar in implementation.

This is the reason why I think it would be good to start collecting, standardising and thinking about the models to use in the game. Otherwise we will just be waiting until its all ready and then do some more waiting for the graphics to trickle down which will slow down any momentum in creating the game.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Shouldn't we first define how complicated the signal system is gonna to be, before we start modelling them? Signals might need a specific amounts of lights, etc.
Image Image
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Purno wrote:Shouldn't we first define how complicated the signal system is gonna to be, before we start modelling them? Signals might need a specific amounts of lights, etc.
I've digged up this old thread [RFD] Signaling, which discuss the signaling topic. But it seams to not decide anything.

Please don't continue the discussion of signaling here, so that this thread can be keept ontopic. EDIT: However I agree that it is an important issue.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Call for submissions: Graphics

Post by maquinista »

aarona wrote:To try and get the project back on track we should start collecting resources to use when we get a graphics engine up and running.

Some possible things we would require to get started...

Ground textures (Grass/Farmland, etc)
Tracks (Road/Rail)
Signals
Models (At least one train, truck, bus, etc)
Possible GUI elements.

For the 2D artists out there you do not necessarily need to create 3D objects. For example, traffic lights for either rail or road could be made as infinitley thin 3D images.

Hopefully we could work with the Enhanced GFX replacement for OpenTTD but keeping in mind that we need 3D models and the like...
Which format (blender, 3Dmax, AC3D...) do you want?

If I do some models, it will be for the first versions only, while other people draws better graphics.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Is anyone still active on this project?
In a try to spark some interest for the project, I made a Boeing 747-400 model today. It's 1002 polygons, which sounds a lot, but by the time we have something playable we'll probably all be running quantum computers. :P
Attachments
Boeing 747-400 render.jpg
Boeing 747-400 render.jpg (31.27 KiB) Viewed 6210 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Awesome! I bet it'll look even awesomer with texture on it :D

Oh, and yes I'm still alive, but it seems there hasn't been much activity on the project, at least not AFAIK. Could be the TRoS engine is more developed now...
Image Image
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Texture's my weak point. I'm just too blunt to make a fine high-res texture. Perhaps you can give it a try? If you make the graphics in png or svg format, I can apply them to the model. Modelling is actually very easy if you use a blueprint.

Return to “General Transport Empire Discussion”