Viaduct update

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Viaduct update

Post by PikkaBird »

It's been a while coming, I know...

- looks better with custom bridgeheads (no more holes)
- compatible with monorail and maglev
- compatible with the european and US road sets (viaduct should be loaded after the roadset in newgrf.cfg).

windows version
dos version
Attachments
Scr1.png
Scr1.png (33.47 KiB) Viewed 43513 times
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

Thank God, it finally works with EuroRoads!

Thank you, it works great!
It's not me in my avatar, it's a time lord!

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
-Douglas Adams
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Very Nice! I hate to be a pain, but is there any chance of Narrow Gauge compatability?
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

(Cue applause).
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

lifeblood wrote:Very Nice! I hate to be a pain, but is there any chance of Narrow Gauge compatability?
I guess that wouldn't be too hard to do. I'll see what I can come up with today. :)
kyanit
Engineer
Engineer

speed limit

Post by kyanit »

Hi. Very nice. But speed limit (128km/h) is quite small, speciallly for trains. I think that hi-tech bricks, from which the bridge is made :P , could be weighted much more and so speed limit can be higher.
khamura
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: speed limit

Post by khamura »

kyanit wrote:Hi. Very nice. But speed limit (128km/h) is quite small, speciallly for trains. I think that hi-tech bricks, from which the bridge is made :P , could be weighted much more and so speed limit can be higher.
That kind of misses the point of being a Wooden Bridge replacement for those early years though. :D Besides, many of the freigth trains can't go over 128 anyway until late in the game.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

PikkaBird wrote:
lifeblood wrote:Very Nice! I hate to be a pain, but is there any chance of Narrow Gauge compatability?
I guess that wouldn't be too hard to do. I'll see what I can come up with today. :)
Yes! Especially what with the Canadian Set making extensive use of narrow gauge. (Hint to other bridge set builders ... Get with the game !)
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

wallyweb wrote: ... [viaduct with narrow gauge track system] ... Especially what with the Canadian Set making extensive use of narrow gauge. (Hint to other bridge set builders ... Get with the game !)
I agree ... and while you are at it make allowance for the Metro Track System, comeing one day ...
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

OzTrans: since those tracks are asymmetric, you'd need a special feature to support them. I mean, you would need for the / view one "coming" // / and one "going" / //
Is such feature available?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Sanchimaru wrote:OzTrans: since those tracks are asymmetric, you'd need a special feature to support them.
Not necessarily. Third rails can (and do) change sides.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Sanchimaru wrote: ... since those tracks are asymmetric, you'd need a special feature to support them. ... Is such feature available?
There is no need for a special feature. The third rail is going to be either on the left or right of the track, just as in IRL, and it does look quite alright. Purno has that worked out already; i.e we already have all the sprites fitted with the third rail, however they are standard gauge and we are going to repeat that with the Narrow Gauge Track System by Cornelius to make the Metro Track System.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

shuldnt you also include the shinkansen tracks.
iNVERTED
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by iNVERTED »

See screenshot. :?

Also for some reason the viaduct has a maximum speed of 20 mph. Not very practical.
Attachments
scr53.PNG
(451.03 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

OzTransLtd wrote:
Sanchimaru wrote: ... since those tracks are asymmetric, you'd need a special feature to support them. ... Is such feature available?
There is no need for a special feature. The third rail is going to be either on the left or right of the track, just as in IRL, and it does look quite alright. Purno has that worked out already; i.e we already have all the sprites fitted with the third rail, however they are standard gauge and we are going to repeat that with the Narrow Gauge Track System by Cornelius to make the Metro Track System.
The sprites I drew for Metro Track (or Third Rail) are fully compatible with the current patch. Tho, for best performance, a patch should be written which handles third rail just like catenary; as seperate sprites. In the current system the third rail is part of the track sprite.
Attachments
Metro Rail - Previews - Desired sprite system and Current sprite system.PNG
Metro Rail - Previews - Desired sprite system and Current sprite system.PNG (16.47 KiB) Viewed 40493 times
Metro Rail Sprites.PNG
Metro Rail Sprites.PNG (25.23 KiB) Viewed 40531 times
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Oh boy! Metro tracks in TTD! That would be a verrrrry nice feature! I can't see the point of using them without the possibillity to build underground networks, but it would look really cool!
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

I agree, they're very, very cool!

They can be the starting point to develop proper 3rd rail tracks in TTD. The third rail should be a bit darker, but the system looks really neat.
Bastiaan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bastiaan »

third rail doesn't directy need to be metro track. There are also trains in the UK and suburban trains in Germany that use them.
Like Purno said, the third rails should be coded as catenary, so that diesel trains can use them too. These things were all discussed in the (mysteriously dissapeared) NewRoutes thread :roll:
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Also - as for 3rd rail. The lack of rails at the crosspoints is actually prototypical - usually switches don't have the 3rd rail.

EDIT:

Btw - it would be ubercool if it was possible to have the magic "station roof" yellow to work everywhere creating a shadow. This way we could "fake" shadows below the bridge- and that would be niiiice.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

@Bastiaan:
You're right. There are also quite a few 3rd rail lines in the Netherlands and Japan as well. Though these are mostly just metrolines on the surface.
That reminds me, there are also some 3rd rail lines in France, one even with freight traffic if i'm correct.

@uzurpator:
Switches do have a 3rd rail, but it's quite uncommon, so I agree with you having no 3rd rail in crosspoint areas.

Oh boy! This is getting interesting!
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.

Return to “Graphics Development”