Screenshots

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
3 day
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Screenshots

Post by 3 day »

Post screenshots of the game
Windows is based on doors.
Please visit my favourite website!
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

WHY!!!???!!! Why not go find them on other places, like Google! - Link to image search for 'simutans'.
Last known as: Weirdy
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I don't see why not? There are screenshot topics for TTD, TTD+Patch, Locomotion and OTTD on this forum too. Now when someone tries to kick that off for Simutrans he should Google for it?

3day: try to be less direct and more descriptive when posting. The keyboard won't bite you if you type sentences with >5 words. It also prevents confusion.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Your right Hyronymus, does someone want to change the title to Simutans Screenshots thread then?
Last known as: Weirdy
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

And in some thread (espially about SimuTTD) you will find some too ...
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Screenshots

Post by Dutchman on Rails »

Hello All,

It is interesting to see how the differences are between the TTDPatch/OpenTTD community and the Simutrans community when it concerns screenshots. For TTDPatch/OpenTTD there are very lively threads with hundreds of people showing their networks and at least some of them turning their screenshots threads into great ongoing stories. As far as I can tell, I have yet to find anything like that in the Simutrans community.

Quite possibly there is just no interest. Perhaps though this TTDPatch player can be forgiven to seek out if there is interest by placing a Simutrans screenshots in the style of a TTDPatch storyline.

The scene of the story is a very alternative Netherlands, as the terrain is there, but the cities are dislocated.

Although... cities. After the economic problems of the Napoleonic wars, the economy of the newly founded kingdom of the Netherlands (1815) is very weak indeed. A handful of small villages, even hamlets, is all there is to be found.

It is in this scene that the DoR Coach Company starts up on January 1st, 1815. Given the poor economy, they contend themselves for starters to the largest village, that of Abcoude on the eastern edge of the region (1050 inhabitants), and set up a small city coach service. Despite the village boasting a beautiful town hall and a medieval church worth a visit, the service proves to be a steady drain on the resources of DoR Coach, netting loss after loss. The company director is undeterred though, as in the first two years they do see that their operation stimulates the growth of Abcoude, from the original 1050 to just over 1325 at the end of 1816. He hopes that the growth will attract new and more profitable business.
Attachments
Abcoude as it looks at the beginning of 1817. Four coach stops ensure everyone can be brought to anywhere in the village.
Abcoude as it looks at the beginning of 1817. Four coach stops ensure everyone can be brought to anywhere in the village.
Abcoude 1817.png (271.78 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

Well, there is a big number of savegames stored at the international simutrans forum:
http://forum.simutrans.com/

For some small glimpse on simutrans graphics, I would suggest to look at
http://simutrans.sourceforge.net/ufcs.htm
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

Hello Prissi,

Thank you for your very quick reply.
I didn't quite find the save games yet, for some things I find the international forum difficult to browse through, though search engines help to find the right messages.

However, I did find the screenshots you mentioned before, and I agree they are a good showcase of the drawing skills of those creating the game. However, what I'm talking about mainly is the notion where people have their own thread with an ongoing report of how they play the game, like you can see them in the TTD Screenshots thread on this forum. Perhaps I just missed it though.

Kind Regards, DoR
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Here are some screenies:
Attachments
simscr51.png
Parts of the underground network of the Darmstadt-Herne-Essen-Hannover Metroplex. This is a multilevel underground system which has now grown to 18 differen lines and is supplemented by more then 30 bus lines.
(344.58 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
simscr38.png
The OOHA Metroplex (Osnabrück-Oberhausen-Hamm) which includes also Eichholz, Münster, Kaiserslautern and Rostock.
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 379 times
simscr42.png
The same area, and it's underground network. Again, the Metro network consists of something like 18 lines plus several buslines which serve the more remote area. The Airport has a monthly throughput of approx 90'000 pax (arr. and dep.)
(242.93 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Dutchman on Rails
Engineer
Engineer

Hello The Irish,

Nice shots indeed.

Anyway, to pick up the ongoing story:

1817 passes relatively uneventful, but in 1818, Abcoude experiences some rapid growth, especially because of the erection of a monument. This boosts the number of inhabitants to just over 2000 at the end of the year.

This event means some reorganisations are needed. A fifth stop is added near the monument and two more coaches enter service. Soon after that, it turns out that keeping the coaches on all stops as before is becoming hopelessly inefficient, so a system of two lines, with an interchange at the 'Oude Kerk' stop, is set up, along with the introduction of a fifth coach some time later. All this has a profound effect on the annual loss, which decreases by almost 75% over the next two years, much to the satisfaction of the company director.

After another period of relative calm, 1821 starts off with a bang. A castle is built in Abcoude, with the grounds used to house events. Immediately, an entrepeneur takes his chance and sets up a market for building materials. In turn, to supply them, a forester starts to produce lumber, and a sawmill is founded too, all close to the north of Abcoude.

This chain of events is what DoR choach has been waiting for, and sparks off a four-step plan:
1) Connect the forest with the sawmill.
2) Connect the sawmill with the shop in town.
3) Provide a passengers service between the town center and the workshops.
4) Since part of the laborers come from the nearby hamlets of Soest and Hengelo, connect those two places as well.

Step 1 and 2 are easily done, followed by step 3, but step 4 takes longer, as it turns out that the building of the castle in Abcoude has also caused passenger levels there to rise dramatically - soon boosted by the building of another monument in the same area. By swapping the two inner-city lines' eastern endpoints, and by sending several new coaches into service, eventually the service reaches acceptable levels again, while step 4 is implemented in the meantime. By April, the number of vehicles has risen from 5 to 29, on 7 lines. Line 2, Abcoude centrum - Abcoude Monument takes the cake of the passenger services, with 5 coaches on a short run barely being enough to keep a good service.

Income is also sharply on the rise, the transport of logs and lumber making thousands in profit every month. Having gotten through the lean years, DoR transport can now set it's sights on expansion...

After some time, it becomes clear that the only way to solve the increased traffic in Abcoude is to build a second stop at 'oude kerk' and use it as a focal point for the longer distance lines. Also, Hengelo starts growing fairly well, so well that within a few months, a second stop is warranted.
Attachments
The forest, sawmill and shop all connected together.
The forest, sawmill and shop all connected together.
Abcoude industrial 1821.png (508.08 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Abcoude after the various upgrades. The larger station in the center is clearly visible, as are the large number of coaches.
Abcoude after the various upgrades. The larger station in the center is clearly visible, as are the large number of coaches.
Abcoude 1821.png (365.06 KiB) Viewed 7152 times
Hengelo started only a few months before as a one-building community. Add some work at the neighbouring town, and a decent transport link, and presto.
Hengelo started only a few months before as a one-building community. Add some work at the neighbouring town, and a decent transport link, and presto.
Hengelo 1821.png (113.95 KiB) Viewed 7131 times

Return to “Simutrans”