Narrow Gauge rails - updated release!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

Narrow Gauge Rails v0.92

With permission from cornelius, I have done an update to ngrailsw.grf. The new version (0.92) is attached.

I had recently been using cornelius's Narrow Gauge rails in OpenTTD while testing Wile E.Coyote’s Serbian Rail Set. There were a few incompatibilities between OpenTTD and the Narrow Gauge rails grf. I made some changes to correct these problems.

I then decided it would be good to have compatibility with PikkaBird's viaduct bridge. I have added this with PikkaBird's permission . Wile E.Coyote’s asked if I could add adjusted rail costs, wallyweb requested the long depots.

Changes since ngrailsw.grf v0.91:
1. Support for PikkaBird’s viaduct bridge (see the readme file).
2. Adjusted rail costs for narrow gauge rails.
3. Narrow gauge rails are now deactivated for the Toyland climate.
4. Optional long depots, enables depots to be placed inline without gaps in-between. Enabled by grf parameter, see the readme file for details.
5. A bug in v0.91; the centre section of a 5-tile long suspension bridges was shown with the wrong track type, now fixed.
6. OpenTTD compatibility: Correct track type is now changed to narrow gauge. Various OpenTTD buttons and cursors added (has no effect for TTDPatch).

Please let me know if you find any problems or have suggestions for further improvements. Note, the DOS version (ngrails.grf) is untested, could someone let me know if it works ok?

My thanks to PikkaBird for permission to use narrow gauge viaduct bridge sprites, based on his original viaduct sprites.

Thanks to Wile E.Coyote and wallyweb for testing. :) And thanks to cornelius for creating this grf and allowing me to make this new version.

Edit: Narrow Gauge Rails v0.93

New release posted 20/01/08. See my latest post for details of changes.

Edit: v0.93a bugfix release posted 23/01/08
Attachments
Serbian NG set.png
Serbian NG set.png (95.46 KiB) Viewed 55267 times
ngrails_v093a.zip
Zip containing both DOS and Windows versions
(323.61 KiB) Downloaded 10465 times
Last edited by mart3p on 23 Jan 2008 16:26, edited 2 times in total.
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

Much love!

This .grf rocks! Now I can finally get to go out on narrow-gauge mountain/forest lines. This is truely a blessing 8)
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Mr Pattle
Engineer
Engineer

Station GRF

Post by Mr Pattle »

Where did you get the station Grf in that screenshot? I've seen it before, and looked hard for it, but I can't find it for download anywhere.

could you post a link to where you got it from? it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

I believe this is the one you mean?
Attachments
jcindstaw.grf
(162.8 KiB) Downloaded 1215 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

Please don't link to things like that, Darkmast49. You're not totally certain that this is allowed by the author (although it probably is).

http://www.as-st.com/ttd/newusa/index.html

Is the correct place to download it from.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Mr Pattle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr Pattle »

Thanks for the download, that's the GRF I wanted
and thanks for the website link, Dave
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Dave Worley wrote:Please don't link to things like that, Darkmast49. You're not totally certain that this is allowed by the author (although it probably is).

http://www.as-st.com/ttd/newusa/index.html

Is the correct place to download it from.
I'm sorry, I wanted to help, but I didn't know the link either :roll:
Stephen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stephen »

having a little trouble with mine, all track is pink.

It just keeps going and going and going....
And it all fits into one train depot!
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

You're using the DoS grf while you have a windows TTD version. Or you're using a windows grf while you have a DOS TTD version. Switch to the other version got it to work. You can identify which one you have by seeing if there is a 'w' at the end of the filename.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

But, as I said in my post above:
mart3p wrote:Note, the DOS version (ngrails.grf) is untested, could someone let me know if it works ok?
I haven’t yet received any feedback to say if the DOS version works or not. Has anyone tried it yet?
Stephen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stephen »

now I have a bigger problem...

I'm one of the few OpenTTD users that runs Mac OS...so I can't run the windows EXE file to get the GRF, which I've noticed some of the GRF files come as, no GRF but just an EXE. The only reason I used DOS versions is to get the GRF without the EXE. But if the Windows EXE is a DOS application then I can run it. I'll give it a try.
It just keeps going and going and going....
And it all fits into one train depot!
Toni Babelony
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Toni Babelony »

So? I've been using the NG.grf extensively in OTTD on my Mac...:

The file in this post should have the windows.grf that also works in OTTD... http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=548681#548681
Retired JapanSet developer and creator of TIAS.
Carlo Ghega
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Carlo Ghega »

Just wanted to thank you for your great work!

Best regards,

CG
E pur si muove!
Coxx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Coxx »

I would love to use NG.grf with the Canadian set, but I dont get the NG-rails but the ugly Maglev instead.
Using the Nightly r10166 on a Mac, but I have tried earlier versions of the Nighly, 0.5., and the Serbian set too. Allways the same. Also tried the old NG.grf, this one is shown as active in the settings but there is still no NG-rail.

Suggestions anyone?
Attachments
Binnington Transport, 22nd Jan 1922 #1.png
(157.26 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Coxx wrote:I would love to use NG.grf with the Canadian set, but I dont get the NG-rails but the ugly Maglev instead.
Using the Nightly r10166 on a Mac, but I have tried earlier versions of the Nighly, 0.5., and the Serbian set too. Allways the same. Also tried the old NG.grf, this one is shown as active in the settings but there is still no NG-rail.

Suggestions anyone?
The Canadian set has built in support for narrow gauge rails. It works fine under ttdpatch. That said, for the patch, there are a few configuration settings that must be done. These are described in the Readme/Manual file that came with your download of the Canadian Set. Read the ReadMe/Manual and make sure your configuration files are properly set.

Next ... r10166 is an OpenTTD nightly. I believe that the Canadian Set ReadMe/Manual describes using the set with OpenTTD. Once more ... Read the ReadMe / Manual. That is what they are there for. :wink:
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

wallyweb wrote: ... Canadian Set ReadMe/Manual ...
The ReadMe does not mention OpenTTD, as at the time of release it was not supported on the OpenTTD platform. Sorry about that.
... Canadian Trains Set v0.2g and Narrow Gauge Rails in OpenTTD ...
To get Narrow Gauge Railtracks in OpenTTD with the CanSet do the following : add NGRails[w].grf to /DATA directory, activate the set after CanSet[w].grf and set NGRails parameter to 4 (MagLev) and it will work. You will still see descriptions like 'MagLev construction', just ignore them, but you will get the tracks by using the MagLev construction menu.

BTW, if you use the USRoads Set, place it after NGRails to get USRoads rail crossings.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

OzTransLtd wrote:
wallyweb wrote: ... Canadian Set ReadMe/Manual ...
The ReadMe does not mention OpenTTD, as at the time of release it was not supported on the OpenTTD platform. Sorry about that.
Oops! :oops:
Coxx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Coxx »

[/quote]The Canadian set has built in support for narrow gauge rails. It works fine under ttdpatch.[/quote]

Uh yes, I have read about that. In the User-Guide. But, as far as I remember it says nothing about OTTD. Neither the Quick-Start -info which comes with the Canadaset.grf.

As far I have got it from the forum http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... s&start=20 this has been a common problem with the earlier NG-rail.grf and OTTD.
But this update is designed to work with OTTD. As it seems it usually do. Well, not in my case.
Would like to know why.

Ok, in fact I rather want to know how to solve this.
Coxx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Coxx »

Thanks for the answer.
It were faster than my post.

I followed the instruction, but...
well, NG-rails stays disabled.

Edit:
It seems to have something to do with this Nightly, it works fine with older version. With the warning with the cansetw.grf, wich is about `tracktypecostdiff`, to be precisely. Thanks anyway.
Attachments
Dondingtown Transport, 7th May 1922.png
(204.02 KiB) Downloaded 364 times

Return to “Graphics Development”