Scale in game

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Susan
Engineer
Engineer

Scale in game

Post by Susan »

If 1 square height is 100m (data from map) then 1 square is 200m long. But it looks like 20m!

Height is 0 to 15 (16!!!)
Long is 64 to 2048

So...
15 x 100m = 1500m
2048 x 200m = 409 600m = 409,6km

But trucks looks like they are 100m long!!!

So i think scale is 1:10
The world is like u think it is.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

There is no consistent scale. Any attempts to try and come up with one will fail. Same with time scales.

There's a separate scale for everything. Houses have one, vehicles have another, distances on the map have yet another, and once you figure in the speed you get even more separate scales. It just doesn't work, because TTD is a game, not a realistic simulation.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Susan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Susan »

I know. But i try to do some basic scale of whole. The main problem is cities. How to scale them? I try 1:10 to 1:25. Seems to work fine. Ex:
To do map of Poland i need to have about 900km on 2048 squares. That is about 450m per square and 225m height.
So highest mountain is 11 squares :)

Main problem is always cities. This is my biggest city. If Warszawa is
1 700 000 / 90 000 = 19

But scale is 1:25, so 1 700 000 / 25 = 68 000!!!

:)

Now you know what I`m talking about?
Attachments
screenshot png.png
City XXL
(407.28 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

OMG, big city... luckily you can demolish lots of buildings in OTTD, because in TTDPatch the local authority won't allow you to build a train station in the center of the city.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Diadem
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Diadem »

Well city sizes are insane in any TT version. While you can fit 50 people in a single house, 10K civilians is already a metropolis. It just doesn't make sense.

If you make a map of an actualy country, Id consider dividing all populations by a factor 1000 or so.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

For trains the tiles are 50m wide and 37km long I believe. :P
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
Susan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Susan »

:shock:
how you counted it :?:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

A train travels with 50 km/h and travels 5 tiles a day. That's 50x24x5=6000 km for 5 tiles is 1200 km per tile...

well, I guessed the numbers, but this is how you calculate it.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Susan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Susan »

My trucks travel 2 tiles per day with 48km/h.
:?:

that is 2304km/day

That is map haves 2 457 600 km
:)

But i want to do 3d looking map with good looking mountains. not that: this mountain is about like this...

i dont care bout vehicles, it not make sens
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

if you want good looking landscape create one with heightmap patch :wink:
Susan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Susan »

do you have link?
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Dundee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dundee »

In an old thread, I wrote:
lucaspiller wrote:
ThunderAI wrote:At 100mph on a 11x11 map it takes 1 year to cross the entire map.
I knew stuff in (O)TTD was bigger than in real life, but 5000 miles for a single tile? Razz If the time in (O)TTD fitted into this scale it would near enough be real time.
100mph * 24 hours * 365 days = 876,000 miles
2^11 = 2048 tiles
876,000 miles / 2048 tiles = 427 miles/tile

As each tile is square, that's 182,329sq. mi or 472,229km^2 per tile. (roughly 5 Tasmanias per tile!)

Time scale is out a bit!
Are there any strategy games where the time/distance scales are 'right'? Theme Park and RCT had rides lasting weeks. SimTower had an interesting compromise - time speeds up and slows down and a year is signifcantly shorter than 365 days.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Simutrans seems a lot better, still not perfect - you are looking for a simulator.
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
Diadem
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Diadem »

If you made the timescale right, you wouldn't see the trains move over the map anymore. With a realistic timescale, trains would service a route 3-4 times a day. It's possible to build a game like that of course. You make the route, build the train, give it orders, and get a steady stream of cash from it.

Of course, it wouldn't be TT. Ánd it would probably be boring ;)
d00mh4mm3r
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by d00mh4mm3r »

I think instead of having km/h or mph
There should be SQ/min (Squares per min)
--==Out Of Order==--
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

d00mh4mm3r wrote:I think instead of having km/h or mph
There should be SQ/min (Squares per min)
Nah, I think we should keep km/h and mph units...
Image Image
Arsenal
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Arsenal »

Yes, definitely keep the mph or kph, if only because I can relate to it.
Ladis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ladis »

Let´s work on rescale in openttd!!

I always thought it should be changed one time!
We all see there are really huge differencies between scales, and we all would like to change it, just to make the game looking more realistic. Why to make it more realistic? - Because this is what happens to every game (except fantasy games) ! Just compare games from 1995 and from now! And - just compare original TT and openttd! What did change there? The Sawyer´s game became more realistic! I don´t want to hear anybody saying that the aim of openttd is to be "just funny" game, far away from reality :!: btw "just funny" is toyland, and no-one plays it...

But not everything can be made "realistic". We cannot make "speed of time" in openttd more realistic. Just because no-one wants to play one scenario for half of year. We need to feel the progress of transport technology. The time in openttd may be a little slower, but it´s just my opinion..

But what should be rescaled, are graphics. Many examples have been given above, so I don´t have to write how e.g. truck is big according to a stadium etc... It will be very hard, because many things should be changed.
:arrow: For example planes are too small according to trains or trucks.. To draw bigger planes is not so difficult, there would be many people who would like to draw them, because you can draw more details on bigger planes. But, as in general, the hardest work would be to code the airports to have wider runways and areas...

I think we SHOULD rescale graphics in openttd, but it isn´t possible to rescale it all 1:1 as it is in reality, and the game could even loose its clarity, and clarity is the most important for game to keep it easy to play.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Well the new graphics under development are a lot better than the current ones - I am sure they wouldn't mind a hand. :wink:

Return to “General OpenTTD”