UK Gated Crossing

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

cornelius
Director
Director

UK Gated Crossing

Post by cornelius »

Intended to go (primarily) with Pikkabird's UK Renewal set, I've made some UK-style level crossings with wooden gates. They appear on paved roads, and only in the temperate climate.

The .zip file has what I think might be a DOS version in it, but I'm not able to test it so if someone else can that would be handy :)

EDIT: 10/09/2005 - zip file updated to v1.1 with DOS version fixed
Attachments
gates.png
gates.png (31.15 KiB) Viewed 27312 times
uklc.zip
(5.41 KiB) Downloaded 4860 times
Last edited by cornelius on 10 Sep 2005 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Cornelius Foundry ~ Bespoke Isometric Narrow Gauge Engineering ~ Est. 1921
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Looks nice :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Looks cool! I was hoping for some old style english wooden gates!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I agree, it looks good. Always found it amusing to see where the British kept their gates when there wasn't a train coming. Pretty inventive.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Hyronymus wrote:I agree, it looks good. Always found it amusing to see where the British kept their gates when there wasn't a train coming. Pretty inventive.
It stopped people and animals wandering up the line, too. :lol:
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Double inventive! I remember first seeing 'british' gates in a Matchbox folder, they had trains too for a while. I'm really getting old...
Davie_UCF
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Davie_UCF »

Great! thank you!

I've not been around here for a while so i'm wondering if their is a boom/skirted more modern UK crossing around aswell??

Thanks
Davie
East of England/East Anglia scenario/map released!! http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=205440#205440
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

the dos version has some problems you get purpalish colours instead of the proper colours ill post a screenie when i get to use my pc that has ttdp on it
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Cornelius, for future reference, if both GRF files come out exactly the same size, something is probably wrong.

Code: Select all

grfcodec -em 1 FILENAME.grf
is the way to make DOS grf files from Windows-paletted PCX files.

What is attached should be a DOS version (translation: I didn't test this particular GRF, but I used my shell scripts, which have never produced incorrect output.)

I removed the win GRF, but left the readme.

EDIT: FP has been updated.
Last edited by DaleStan on 10 Sep 2005 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

thanx for fixing the problem and here is a screenie of the old version also i notice trucks fronts just cross the gate
Attachments
Scr22.png
Scr22.png (6.98 KiB) Viewed 26523 times
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

BR railroad crossing gates has been made to use with original road sprites.
You can see there are graphical errors when mixing such a crossing with road set.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

MeusH wrote:BR railroad crossing gates has been made to use with original road sprites.
You can see there are graphical errors when mixing such a crossing with road set.
That has nothing to do with it. It is a Windows/DOS pallete issue.

Can you please atleast know what you are talking about before speaking as if you are an authority on the subject?

A different roadset will just result in the two sets of graphics not matching up.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

ok sorry
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

r0b0t_b0y2003 wrote:ok sorry
That had nothing to do with you Robot Boy, no need to say that you are sorry.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I'm sorry for confusing - similiar error occured to me with various sets (all for windows)
cornelius
Director
Director

Post by cornelius »

DaleStan wrote:Cornelius, for future reference, if both GRF files come out exactly the same size, something is probably wrong.

Code: Select all

grfcodec -em 1 FILENAME.grf
is the way to make DOS grf files from Windows-paletted PCX files.

What is attached should be a DOS version (translation: I didn't test this particular GRF, but I used my shell scripts, which have never produced incorrect output.)

I removed the win GRF, but left the readme.
Thanks for fixing it, I thought I'd encoded it with palette 1 but something obviously went wrong somewhere. I'll create an update with everything in it when I get the chance.

And yes, this grf isn't compatible with new road sets.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Oooh, nice!

I hope someday the full BR set revives. :cry:
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
cornelius
Director
Director

Post by cornelius »

First post updated with fixed version of the whole package.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Sorry to be a bother, Cornelius...

I downloaded your crossing grf when I started my game with the UK Renewal Set, and found it rather amusing that the old style gates were only found in the centre of towns, and on the outside of towns, the normal flashing lights prevailed.

I was just curious if you had any plans to make the gates appear outside of towns too, or just in them?

Also, I wonder if it is possible to change gated crossings over to modern boom gate crossings in the later years?

Just some suggestions, becuase it's a really nice level crossing.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
c2R
Engineer
Engineer

Post by c2R »

Raichase wrote:Sorry to be a bother, Cornelius...

I downloaded your crossing grf when I started my game with the UK Renewal Set, and found it rather amusing that the old style gates were only found in the centre of towns, and on the outside of towns, the normal flashing lights prevailed.
such crossings are generally only found in urban areas - remember someone has to live there to open and close the gates!
Also, I wonder if it is possible to change gated crossings over to modern boom gate crossings in the later years?
I think after a certain date the modern boom ones should be used instead (double gated in urban areas, single gated in rural areas) - but this was not an automatic change - indeed there are still some of the old style gates in use - I can think of one set near Enfield, and another set in Frinton, Essex.

Return to “Graphics Development”