[Fixed] - OpenTTD Can't find TTDX Graphics!? (installer)

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

*Bellatrix
Engineer
Engineer

[Fixed] - OpenTTD Can't find TTDX Graphics!? (installer)

Post by *Bellatrix »

Hi all, as you can probably tell by my heading I am new to the Forum. :D I was a huge TT fan until I upgraded to XP & then sadly my TT days were over. Recently I found out about Open TTD & thought it sounded excellent but unfortunatly I seem to be having a bit of trouble installing it!
Here's my problem: I have this file: openttd-0.3.6-win32.exe, I ran the install & pointed it to the TTDX Foler but I get this message the error message "Setup Cannot Continue Without The Transport Tycoon Deluxe Location!" :cry:

Now it's probably me being a thick newbie, but am I doing this right? Do I need to Install another file b4 I try to run OpenTTD?

Hope someone can help & appologies if it is not a OpenTTD problem & I have posted in the wrong Forum :oops: ,

Cheers, *Bellatrix.
Capsa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Capsa »

Hello Folks
I also came to open TTD for exactly the same reason as previous post
(Bellatrix) .I also have exactly the same problem as Bellatrix - even though the path to the graphics files is clearly stated, the open ttd
exe will not recognise them . I assume like myself Bellatrix not have the windows TTDLX files but only the DOS and also all versions of
TTD Patch but these are not recognised either. The whole point is of course to run on XP .

Help please.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Yes, unfortunately the openttd 0.3.6 installer only looks for the windows data files. But you can just as well download the zip file (here), extract it somewhere, copy over the TTDLX data files (all trg*.grf's and sample.cat) and run the game :)

If you DO have the windows version and it does NOT work please reply immediately since I would say that is highly unpossible ;)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Capsa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Capsa »

Many Thanks Darkwater for your reply.

Unfortunately the win zip file at "here" which I had already downloaded
anyway, does not seem to have the windows grf files within it . I have searched the web today for other available sources of original windows
grf files but inspite of some references, no luck. Would be very glad if you could put them inside the win zip file or make then available in some other way.
Over many years I have never been able to buy the windows version
of TTDL . I now have numerous CDs of the DOS version as until you
open it and look at it - you have no way of knowing .

Hope springs eternal
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Have yourself a look
Here
|
|
|
|
\/
Sionide
Director
Director

Post by Sionide »

do it like this:

download the file to which Darkvater referenced you. Unzip all the files somewhere like C:\temp - then run Setup.exe - This installs "TTDX"

Then run the OpenTTD Install file and it should automatically find the location of "TTDX" which it needs to get the graphics files..

Hope this short tutorial helps..
...Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration...
...sionide.net...
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

I didn't reference anyone to TTDLX files. We cannot include the original TTDLX files legally with OpenTTD. You can just download the openttd zip file, extract that and use your DOS or WINDOWS data files to get the game to work.

If it complains about the data files (and you have the dos version), start openttd with the '-i' flag.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Capsa
Engineer
Engineer

Failure to Install Open TTD

Post by Capsa »

Very many thanks indeed to Professor Frink, Sionide and Darkwater.

Problem now solved . Open TTD up and running. Windows 98 can now be decently buried . Hope Bellatix is also successful.

Travelling hopefully is great but arriving is pretty good also.
Capsa
Engineer
Engineer

Failure to Install Open TTD

Post by Capsa »

Very many thanks indeed to Professor Frink, Sionide and Darkwater.

Problem now solved . Open TTD up and running. Windows 98 can now be decently buried . Hope Bellatrix is also successful.

Travelling hopefully is great but arriving is pretty good also.

Capsa
Sionide
Director
Director

Post by Sionide »

oops! double post, glad you got it fixed in the end..
...Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration...
...sionide.net...

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”