MODEL RAILWAYS

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

What scale do you model?

Z Scale
3%
N Scale
18%
TT Scale
9%
HO/OO Scale
57%
O Scale
2%
5" / 7.25"
1%
No scale
11%

Total votes: 152

spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
ttdx_artist
Banned Troll

Post by ttdx_artist »

Purno: i think it is very unfair saying that N Scale is better than HO, that is just your opinion... i personally prefer HO because it has more detail, train running is smoother and more realistic, you can shunt HO easier than N... and the market is far bigger for HO than anything else, and there is also money to be made in HO with making masters for casting, eg. The car transporters on the previous page only took 1 week to make masters for, and i made $1500 (AUD) and i recieved 15 kits (valued at $35 each) for free.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

ttdx_artist wrote:Purno: i think it is very unfair saying that N Scale is better than HO, that is just your opinion...
I agree

i personally prefer HO because it has more detail,
IMO N is detailed enough
train running is smoother and more realistic, you can shunt HO easier than N...
that might be true, didn't test it :roll:
and the market is far bigger for HO than anything else,
You can only use a part of the assortment of the trains, since for example fleischmann and märklin both have a different coupling system for rails and cars.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

Purno wrote:
ttdx_artist wrote:Purno: i think it is very unfair saying that N Scale is better than HO, that is just your opinion...
I agree

i personally prefer HO because it has more detail,
IMO N is detailed enough
train running is smoother and more realistic, you can shunt HO easier than N...
that might be true, didn't test it :roll:
and the market is far bigger for HO than anything else,
You can only use a part of the assortment of the trains, since for example fleischmann and märklin both have a different coupling system for rails and cars.
I do not agree with the last thing you said purno. As nowadays. couplings can be changed. You just buy a set of the couplings you want (E.G. standard marklin couplings) and just replace the fleishmans with the marklin versions. done.... as the connectors for the couplings are standard (AFAIK)

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"your pixels aren't good enough to talk to me.. sorry"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

OT: (poll) I'd add a "I don't do model trains" option, if these people wanted to see the results.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

theres apparently also "G" Scale that some manufacturers produce..
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

DaaNtje wrote:...
Well ok, but anyways, the biggest advantage of scale N is the space. Because it's only half the size of H0, it takes 4 times less space. That's easier when designing layouts. Note that your arm can only reach 80 cm (officially). In H0 the radius of a circle is +/- 1 meter, while in N it's only 50 cm.

On a platform of 1 x 2 meters you can only build an oval in H0, but you can actually design a nice (double tracked) layout in N scale.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

N scale sounds too cheesy too me. Too small. I want to see a smallest details in the models I have, and I can.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

IMO, N scale is detailed enough. It's a nice size, IMO, H0 is too big. :roll:
Image Image
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

IMHO, HO is too small.
The Fjonis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by The Fjonis »

ttdx_artist; that looks great!!

I built a small system like 5 years ago; its 1,2 x 2 metres only, so it goes without saying that there wasn't room for too much.. It's a märklin HO-scale with 2 locos on it; both steam. The entire thing is very simple indeed; the track is built directly on green felt. In the centre, there is a mountain. I built it using old empty cardboard boxes and stuff which I "flattened out" using pieces of cardboard. These I then covered with old newspaper-pages soaked in wallpaper glue. Finally, I made a mixture of sand (!) and more wallpaper glue, and I used this as well as grey stopper to cover the newspaper. On top, I used this ordinary green "grass"-stuff. Voilà; the cheapest landscape ever! It doesn't look to bad, either - considering the budget..

Here's a rough sketch:

1 = a tunnel which goes through the mountain.
2 = main station
3 = side-track with engine shed

I have a sawmill, a little village, a factory and some other stuff..

I'm planning to tear it all apart and build a larger and more sophisticated system, but I don't have the time, the money or the space to do it - yet.
s78ucr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by s78ucr »

As said here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=3867&start=80 my OO layout has ceased to exist.
i think i'll move over to N, although that means ordering via internet :|
Yet another pointless remark for the collection!
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

depend on the size of your room, but HO-N are all suitable, bigger ones are good only for milionares or garden railway. Here in the Czech rep. most of the people do HO or TT, because only a minimum of czech engines is manufactured, and so most of the models must be hand-made, and N scale is too small for making them in hand.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Born Acorn wrote:IMHO, HO is too small.
Buy Märklin MAX1 gauge ;P, or G Gauge that some manufacturers produce.
mp3Pro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mp3Pro »

Born Acorn wrote:IMHO, HO is too small.
Ive seriously been considering N scale you can build a nice layout on an 18 x 36 inch shelf
:-P
Archonix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Archonix »

N fits in a small space, this is true, and that's what makes it attractive for a lot of people. However, the best use of N is fitting it in to a large space. With N you can do relatively realistic train lengths and good long runs in an 8 x 12 room, whereas with HO/OO you'd have to squeeze everything down to make it fit.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

I still have some BR stock lying around in boxes, as well as enough track to build an 8' by 4' board w/ layout, but the board used has been pressed into service as a games table (for Games Workshop).

I wouldn't mind doing an N scale layout though, perhaps DB Style? I really love HO/OO scale, as that will always be my favorite, but it's just the space issue again... I do have the space for a HO/OO layout, but thats under the house, and there is so much dust down there that it isn't even funny :(. Kinda plays havoc with track and electronics...
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
ttdx_artist
Banned Troll

Post by ttdx_artist »

purno: i agree on the space saving theory,i don't have my own layout as of yet, so i use a model railway club layout, which is fairly big, the photos i took of trains were on that layout, it has 2 main line stations with 5 smaller main line stations in between, it has 2 branch lines each with about 2-3 industries and stations, it is in a room 30' by 50' and each station has 10' loops (i would've prefered 15'), the tightest main line curves are 3' radius and the steepest main line hill is 1in40... i may have to travel 70km to run my trains, but this works for me until i get my own layout :wink: and i personally hate continuous running style layouts ( 'O' shape) i prefer point to point style where you run from one station to the next, then turn around and go back, just like in reality, shunting is the most fun 8)

Akalamanaia: G scale is just O scale, G stands for garden.

DaaNtje and Punro: Coupers can be a problem, sometimes, but i never buy a "ready to run" train, and run it straight away, most of the "ready to run" market is aimed towards 5 year olds with a trainset to run on the floor of their living room, the first thing i do with all of these vehicles is change A: bogies, B: wheels, C: couplers, D: add three point suspension to limit the amount of "side to side roll" of the vehicle, and E: put a strip of lead in the floor to balance the vehicle... the lighter your train, the better the chance of derailing when crossing points or turning. :wink:

if anyone wants to know about 3 point suspension, just ask me, it will solve A LOT of your problems 8)
mp3Pro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mp3Pro »

1.5x5 foot Nscale layout

I kinda liked this 3x6 foot point to point.. looks like theres a little room for expansion as well
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

I kinda like the 1.5x5 one myself, although I would remove the siding going from SW to NE - just doesn't make much sense :).
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club

Return to “Off-Topic”