How to make money on goods?

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

cdkeyleo
Engineer
Engineer

How to make money on goods?

Post by cdkeyleo »

I am a pretty newbie to the Chris Sawyer's Locomotion.

In the game, I transport oil to oil refiner, steel to factory to produce goods, then transport goods to the town. But the station in the town doesn't accept goods. So I can't make money on it. Is it caused by the station is not close enough to the office? Can I use truck to delivery the goods to offices to make money?

Thnaks for your advice!
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

Build a station where it says it will accept goods - this will be in any area with several large buildings like offices, shops and apartments.
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
Lute Skywatcher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lute Skywatcher »

I miss being able to know what a station will accept before it's built. We need to have an idea of what a particular square will accept before we lay track down.
Olli
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Olli »

It simply depends on the buildings inside the stations area, each has its own "producing and accepting behaviour".
Most buildings are only available from a given year, and most of them accept goods, so there is no good aceptance of goods early in the game.

Learn the buildings, klick them.
RangaKoo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RangaKoo »

Lute Skywatcher wrote:I miss being able to know what a station will accept before it's built. We need to have an idea of what a particular square will accept before we lay track down.
Look closely when you build the station. In the station window below where it says what the station's name will be it lists the symbols of what the station will accept and what it will produce/generate.

Okay, so you'll have to learn the symbols, but this can be easily done by scrolling through the list of rolling stock (rail carriages).
"Romance is dead. It was acquired in hostile takeover by Hallmark and Disney, homogenised, and then sold off piece by piece." People with low expectations are rarely disappointed.Not stopping East Richmond.
Lute Skywatcher
Engineer
Engineer

RangaKoo wrote:
Lute Skywatcher wrote:I miss being able to know what a station will accept before it's built. We need to have an idea of what a particular square will accept before we lay track down.
Look closely when you build the station. In the station window below where it says what the station's name will be it lists the symbols of what the station will accept and what it will produce/generate.
Yeah, but that only works if the track is in the right place. I've had too many times where I build a track to where I think a station will accept a particular cargo, only to find that the right place is a few blocks over or - worse - doesn't even exist.
RangaKoo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RangaKoo »

hmmm, well you could either just place one section of track and then place the station over that to see what it accepts or, given that you're in a town, you could try using truck depot/stops.
"Romance is dead. It was acquired in hostile takeover by Hallmark and Disney, homogenised, and then sold off piece by piece." People with low expectations are rarely disappointed.Not stopping East Richmond.
Jice
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jice »

You can see the acceptance and production infos of a buiding by pointing the mouse on it so you may estimate where to place your station in the city for mail goods and food.
Lute Skywatcher
Engineer
Engineer

RangaKoo wrote:hmmm, well you could either just place one section of track and then place the station over that to see what it accepts or, given that you're in a town, you could try using truck depot/stops.
That won't work if the station needs to be spread out over several squares. Also, if the station in question also produces initial cargo like passengers or coal, I wouldn't wan't them to sit around waiting to picked up until I have somewhere to deliver them.
Jice wrote:You can see the acceptance and production infos of a buiding by pointing the mouse on it so you may estimate where to place your station in the city for mail goods and food.
Yeah, I know. Estimation alone doesn't always cut it.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Extend the catchment radius of the goods station by truck terminals(you can have many in same station), then afterwards remove all expect the one that is farthest from the station. This will expand the catchment area(also a good trick if you want more passengers or mail to train stations outside the city)
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How to make money on goods?

Post by TheGrew »

cdkeyleo wrote:I am a pretty newbie to the Chris Sawyer's Locomotion.

In the game, I transport oil to oil refiner, steel to factory to produce goods, then transport goods to the town. But the station in the town doesn't accept goods. So I can't make money on it. Is it caused by the station is not close enough to the office? Can I use truck to delivery the goods to offices to make money?

Thnaks for your advice!
The point is you cant sell were there isn't demand I recomend you make a Good tram system because it normaly increses population quickly.
cdkeyleo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cdkeyleo »

Thank you, all guys
Now i know how to develop the city, and make it accept goods.
I find the game is addactive, last night i stayed up to play it. crazy

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”