Vehicles do not decelerate instantly if accelerating

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Archange1
Engineer
Engineer

Vehicles do not decelerate instantly if accelerating

Post by Archange1 »

Not sure if anyones noticed this, but im pretty damn sure that if a vehicle (ive seen it with trains and buses) is accelerating, it wont start to decelerate (due to clicking on stop) until it reaches its max speed..
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

Can't say I've noticed them waiting till they have reached max speed before choosing to decelerate, but I have noticed that they will continue to accelerate for about a second or two before decelerating.
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

I mentioned this elsewhere, it's infuriating if you're trying to creep a train through a busy junction past a broken down train and it decides to ignore the empty platform in front and changes onto a collision course, you hit 'stop' and it gains another few mph before starting to slow down.
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

I'm not sure what's more annoying - this, or the fact that a train will stop at a station regardless of whether or not it's supposed to (such as those specify in "Route through" orders) if it enters at less than 60mph.
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

Even when set to 'Express'? I've clearly not been paying attention...

ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

For some reason, my HST stops at a waypoint station. Granted, the signal is immediately past it, but its orders are set to express and it stops there - shows "unloading at ..." "loading at ..." as well. Even if the train is set to local, when the orders are to 2route through" the station, it shouldn't stop. In most cases, they don't stop, but if they're running too slowly they will stop and try and load.

One more thing - anyone else noticed that when they build a waypoint in the middle of nowhere, somehow it magically accumulates thousands of passengers? I built one with no buildings around on-screen (at 1280x1024) and suddenly 400 passengers arrived. Perhaps the illegal immigrants and asylum-seekers clinging onto the bogeys are trying to change trains there ...
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Vehicles do not decelerate instantly if accelerating

Post by Patchman »

Archange1 wrote:Not sure if anyones noticed this, but im pretty damn sure that if a vehicle (ive seen it with trains and buses) is accelerating, it wont start to decelerate (due to clicking on stop) until it reaches its max speed..
The reason for this is that vehicles can't seem to stop in the middle of a track piece, they'll always stop at a piece boundary. So it'll keep accelerating for a bit until it needs to slow down for the piece boundary.
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

I see. That's insane. That means, in theory, a train going around a broad curve will take longer to stop than one going along a straight bit.

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”