Vehicles skipping orders - I've watched them do it!

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Vehicles skipping orders - I've watched them do it!

Post by metalangel »

Yes. Trying to work out what the heck was wrong with my coal trucks, I added a second waypoint to make them drive right down to the road they're meant to follow. I then set the truck in motion, and watched it toggle the arrow twice past the two waypoints entered to the actual destination (a powerplant station) and consequently turn into a nearby bus station and become stuck. I ordered it again to skip all its orders until it was meant to go to the first waypoint again which would have sent it in the right direction, and again it quickly skipped the arrow past the two waypoints to the powerplant, took a turn down a deadend street and was stuck.

WHAT. THE. HELL? :x
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
Ravenone
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ravenone »

I feel your pain. :x

The best hope(s) we have are: 1.) everyone continue to mail bugs/issues to Atari and MAYBE they will provide a patch someday, 2.) hope someone can MOD the game to fix these basic issues.

So, please email your issues to Atari. Yes, the will most likely be ignored, but maybe, just maybe if enough of us email them they will do something.
DarkMatter
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DarkMatter »

Did you add the waypoint while the truck was in motion?
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

After experiencing the problem with vehicles skipping waypoints for the first time I fairly quickly there after came to notice something about it. Except in seemingly rare cases the vehicle will still follow the waypoints as directed even though if you look at his orders it appears that he has skipped them. I assume this is a result of the way vehicles will try to plan their route ahead of time.

As an example say you have a vehicle that is told to go from one station and then proceed through two waypoints on its way to another station. The vehicle may plan ahead its path all the way through the waypoints and to that second station and so when you look at its orders it appears he has skipped the waypoints when really its already accounted for them. However you can easily run into trouble if you have a scenario as I did where a bus is meant to pull into a station then turn around at the station and carry on but mean while theres a tram that also comes along to that station so when the bus gets there just before the tram they will sit there head to head intill the bus turns around and goes down some dead end road and gets stuck. Mind you that scenario could probably just as easily occur if you didn't even use any waypoints. However due to this scenario its usually a good idea to, by way of waypoints, try and have your buses only go oneway through a bus stop so that they don't turn around on the spot.

So continues the study of Locomotion. Hope what I said is helpfull to some.
DarkMatter
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DarkMatter »

Did some testing, and it seems that Loco only plans the route when the vehicle is given orders to stop/go. So in order to have the vehicle factor the new waypoint into it's route, you just have to hit the stop/go button. It doesn'a even have to stop moving; just hitting the button will refresh it's trip calculation.
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

I actually set up an entirely waypoint route for one of my buses just to see how it worked. I think the bus has like 8 waypoints or around there and he follows them exactly as I want him to even though if i look at his orders it often appears that hes skipping orders. The bus still stops at the two stations he did previously but he passes through them by means of waypoints instead of a direct order to go to the station.
hermanthegerman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hermanthegerman »

Vimp wrote:The vehicle may plan ahead its path all the way through the waypoints and to that second station and so when you look at its orders it appears he has skipped the waypoints when really its already accounted for them.
No.
One of my trains waited for full-load. Suddenly it started its engine to go to a waypoint (even 'behind' the unload station). And, no, it wasn't fully loaded...

Route:
Stop at Dullville (train skiped from here)
Wait for full load
Stop at Boredom City (Unload)
Route through Waypoint 1 (to here)
Route through Waypoint 2

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”