2CC Ship Set (Former North American Ship Set) - *Relaunched*

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Re: North American Ship Set - **The Wind's back in the sails!**

Post by Digitalfox »

ISA wrote:
Digitalfox wrote:ID availability of only 11 slots, but now with engine pool
Sorry, what? what is engine pool? Haven't been here awhile so I dont have no idea :)
There you go:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 89&start=0

:mrgreen:
blackjak231
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blackjak231 »

dont forget the most important american boat!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

If you got unlimited VehIDs anyways, why only make North American ships? Why not make a generic worldwide ship set? The community could use one IMO. Ships sets are limited.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
lead@inbox
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by lead@inbox »

Purno wrote:Why not make a generic worldwide ship set? The community could use one IMO. Ships sets are limited.
That's why it was created
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Aye, I thought that was the 32-bit set.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, I'm planning to have somewhat generic ships as well, but for Patch players, things are still limited to 11 ID's, so that's taken into consideration as well.

The Open version will likely have Saltwater ships as well as the Great Lakes boats
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

lead@inbox has asked me to coordinate a generic 2cc shipset project. I want to make sure we both aren't doing the same thing.
Image Image
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I'm planning a more North American central set, based mainly on the Great Lakes shipping trade. I'd say doing a more generic set is great as well, we may have a couple of the same types of ships, but for specialization, each set will have its own niche.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

That means we will have two projects?
Image Image
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

DanMacK wrote:Well, I'm planning to have somewhat generic ships as well, but for Patch players, things are still limited to 11 ID's, so that's taken into consideration as well.
FWIW, Zephris and me have been thinking about a similar issues with the Heavy Equipment set as well, and there will have to be two versions:

1. a basic version for players without engine pool. This will prioritise balanced gameplay above everything else, and be compatible with GRVTs.

2. an extended version, requiring engine pool. This will include a much wider range of vehicles, balanced for gameplay, but including some vehicle choices which have more to do with eye candy (unless trails makes it into trunk). Should also be compatible with eGRVTs.

Seems like a similar situation might exist with ships?

cheers,

Andy
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 2CC Ship Set (Former North American Ship Set) - *Relaunched*

Post by andythenorth »

For the set, how about:

- river tugboats + barge tow?
- log rafts (towed by tugboat)?

If no-one else wants to draw them, I might have a go at these - although a basic hull shape would be a handy starting point ;)
lead@inbox
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by lead@inbox »

Narrow boat, capacity - 120t, running cost - ?, price - ? introduction date - ? life - ? reliability -?
narrowboat.pcx
(11.19 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
teaser-narrowboat.png
teaser-narrowboat.png (7.23 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
Andy - it could be used as a tugboat - just make a little pixel tweak (length and width) and add some greeble :)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

lead@inbox wrote:Andy - it could be used as a tugboat - just make a little pixel tweak (length and width) and add some greeble :)
Ok thanks, I'll see what I can do. Meanwhile, my research found these pics of a tugboat ducking under a bridge. It's nuts.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

We need loading stages. Could you draw an empty boat, a half-full boat and a full boat for each cargo?

And, I've thought about a little passenger ferry you see at rivers, to bring a few cars to the other side of the river where the roads continues. Wouldn't that be fun? :)
Image Image
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Turns out that the stern of the small freighter makes a good river pushboat and the main hull makes a good barge. This is a VERY dirty hack of the sprites.

1. lead@inbox: Hope you're ok with this sprite abuse? :)
2. what do the rest of you think - will this work? I'm not yet sure how scales are working in this set, but this seems about right for a large barge train. It will make the sprites quite easy as it's just an adaptation.
barge_train.png
barge_train.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 3200 times
barge_train_pushboat.png
barge_train_pushboat.png (1.04 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
cheers,

Andy
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

That might work, if you do the little boat alone as empty loading stage, and the other as full loaded boat. But, AFAIK, boats cannot be articulated, so it'll remain as one piece.

When I get back home I'll start working on a website*, gathering all the sprites we have. Please make sure all of them are posted in this topic by then.

*Hopefully monday-evening, perhaps later in the week on a evening.
Image Image
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Purno wrote:That might work, if you do the little boat alone as empty loading stage, and the other as full loaded boat.
Good point. I hadn't thought of that; I posted the solitary pushboat just so lead@inbox could see what I'd done to the sprite ;)

These push boats do run without barges sometimes, but I think it might look weird to have the barges appear? Empty barges might be simpler!
Purno wrote:But, AFAIK, boats cannot be articulated, so it'll remain as one piece.
That's ok, I knew that would be the case. If it could be articulated we could make it bigger, but this size is ok too.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

andythenorth wrote:
Purno wrote:That might work, if you do the little boat alone as empty loading stage, and the other as full loaded boat.
Good point. I hadn't thought of that; I posted the solitary pushboat just so lead@inbox could see what I'd done to the sprite ;)

These push boats do run without barges sometimes, but I think it might look weird to have the barges appear? Empty barges might be simpler!
Codewise and art-wise it wouldn't be any simpler. In this case you can choose the most realistically-looking option. IIRC it is possible to show another sprite if the boat is loading or unloading. That'd mean you can show a single boat when it carries 0 cargo, and immediately show an empty barge when it docks.
Image Image
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Purno wrote:In this case you can choose the most realistically-looking option. IIRC it is possible to show another sprite if the boat is loading or unloading. That'd mean you can show a single boat when it carries 0 cargo, and immediately show an empty barge when it docks.
Ok, that makes sense. I don't mind which way this is done (as long as it looks good!) - what do others think? 8)

Return to “Graphics Development”