Patch: Found a town

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Octopussy
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Patch: Found a town

Post by Octopussy »

I have only one question for developpers : Why they don't want to see this patch into trunk ? :(

I have built a very complex railroad transport network and it is very important for me to build a special town near my headquarters.
To my mind, many times, Headquarters have important social impacts to the nearest towns where they are situed, and in this case the developpement of the town is mostly the goal of the compagny.
TheJosh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheJosh »

I think this patch never got in for two reasons:

1. It was not well coded. Not my best work, at least in comparison to patches such as loading indicators. A higher quality patch will get in easier.
2. It effects game balance too much.

I was going to remake the patch at some point, but at a much better quality. Just need the time. If people want to see this feature in, ill make a new (better) patch.
Want to make a real difference? Australia HOPE International - Bringing hope to African orphans and widows.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

TheJosh wrote:I think this patch never got in for two reasons:

1. It was not well coded. Not my best work, at least in comparison to patches such as loading indicators. A higher quality patch will get in easier.
2. It effects game balance too much.

I was going to remake the patch at some point, but at a much better quality. Just need the time. If people want to see this feature in, ill make a new (better) patch.
Well i understand that it changes the game balance and maybe some folks don't want to change the original gameplay on such a large scale..

Large scale because having the option to buil towns does change the way the game behaves..

Image building a town just to be able to put more industries on a zone the old town wouldn't allow because of max number of industries or even town rating..

But if the options were to be enabled or disabled on options menu, i don't see a problem :)

I think its better to have more options then none :)
doubletrouble
Engineer
Engineer

Post by doubletrouble »

hi.. is this patch still on ?

would somebody with some programming knowledge make an updated patch that is compatible with the latest nightly or for the 0.6.0.5 beta ?

i would very much love to have this function :P since i have tons of money to spend and a large quite emptyless map.. :P
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

I think it is in gonozals patch pack
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

T-Unit wrote:I think it is in gonozals patch pack
Nope.

In fact I think he once said there was too much updating to do to get it working on todays trunk...
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

Trond wrote:
T-Unit wrote:I think it is in gonozals patch pack
Nope.

In fact I think he once said there was too much updating to do to get it working on todays trunk...
Sorry. Just realised where i did see it mentioned:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... &sk=t&sd=a
ChrisIN 2
TheJosh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheJosh »

It will get a rebuild by me once I get round to it. give it a few months or years
Want to make a real difference? Australia HOPE International - Bringing hope to African orphans and widows.
burty
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by burty »

I love the idea but like someone else said maybe set it up as a Switchable patch on that can be turned on and off in the patches menu this way those who wish to have it can turn it on and those who wish to play without it they turn off.

But personally id love to see it in the trunk.
doubletrouble
Engineer
Engineer

Post by doubletrouble »

TheJosh wrote:It will get a rebuild by me once I get round to it. give it a few months or years
oh really.. okie.. then i'll wait patiently for the patch/function :)
doubletrouble
Engineer
Engineer

Post by doubletrouble »

burty wrote:I love the idea but like someone else said maybe set it up as a Switchable patch on that can be turned on and off in the patches menu this way those who wish to have it can turn it on and those who wish to play without it they turn off.

But personally id love to see it in the trunk.
yeah, that would be good, cause then it will cater for a bigger group of people :)

heheheh.. i can't wait for this patch heheheh :)

OPENTTD IS GOD
Octopussy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Octopussy »

Finally I would prefer a "Fund Buildings patch", with eye-candy and new Object : the possibility to build buildings and be owner of them.

And if you fund the building far away from the nearest town (and near a road access) it automatically fund a new Town !

What do you think about this idea? 8)
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Octopussy wrote:the possibility to build buildings and be owner of them....
What do you think about this idea? 8)
Personally? I do not like it. It goes along the lines of owning an industry.
The game is about transportation. I do not recall seeing any transport company OWNING a whole town.
The president of the said company CAN be a mayor, as everybody else, but that would not imply that the company owns the city...
Silly, if you ask me. And no evident advantages anyway...
Sorry, but you asked about opnions ;)
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

You might have some years of protection against local authority being a Major, which allow you to demolish the entire town or to modify the terrain and still be able to build stations... after this period "your" town will become like others

But I think the towns should disappear too (under a certain population limit, like 20 people), not only appear, or you'll get the map really overcrowded
burty
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by burty »

@belugas: There is as far as i know been no towns OWNED by the President of a transport company but there have been towns that have been built up around the longer lines for the workers BY the Presidents of the transport companies and i think as long as there is a train station there then this is a viable option.

A few buildings for the workers of a Train company then it slowly builds up... and maybe only on the larger maps.
TomS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TomS »

As the old saying goes: You have to draw a line somewhere.

Transport Tycoon is a transportation simulation game, not a civil engineering simulator.

If you want to build towns/cities, play Sim City. That is my personal oppinion. And frankly, Im too busy building railways et al to be building towns/cities. :)

Likewise, if you want to build transport networks, you dont play something like Sim City.

Plenty of people used to question why I played TT back in the days. They always used to say "why dont you just play Sim City". Clearly they did not get what TT was about, and IMO, Sim City isnt exactly challenging. :)

As custodians of the project, the developers have to try to reach a balance between those features which are truely advantageous to the game and those which are just "cool ideas". Sometimes it means leaving out ideas which in practice are good, and found useful by a large number of people, but dont fit with the over all strategy of the project.

Im sure you all knew that though. ;)

And for what its worth, I dont believe that should be an issue forking OpenTTD into your own branch where you can add which ever patches you want. OpenTTD is released under the GNU license, and as such is available to anyone to modify as they please, as long as the modified source code is made available to everyone else to do as they please, etc etc. You just have to be motivated enough to maintain your own project though.
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

TomS_, You spoke with a very nice and objective view of the situation.
VERY WELL SAID!
And yes, it goes along our the line of thinking (well.. at least mine...).

I bow respectfully before you :) :bow:
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Gekko
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gekko »

Can we get this patch updated for the latest trunk please?
SirXavius
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SirXavius »

The balance issue to me is important. And i agree TTD is not a city simulator.

However, i would like to see new towns pop up like industries well into the game (but i wouldn't give our tycoon the power to seed them). This would of course mean more industries hopefully springing up and the game continuing.
What about disasters that wipe out industries and towns? Now we have new challenges. It's 2001 in the game, and you may be rich, but if an earthquake destroys your industries, or a fire in your fattest town wipes out your well-developed stations, can you build back what you had? This would help the game to continue and the user to meet the new challenges that even being rich would require the same struggle you had in the beginning.
All of this continuation is helped by towns that appear when most of the industries have been accounted for. And i think it would a nice challenge...
burty
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by burty »

SirXavius wrote:The balance issue to me is important. And i agree TTD is not a city simulator.

However, i would like to see new towns pop up like industries well into the game (but i wouldn't give our tycoon the power to seed them). This would of course mean more industries hopefully springing up and the game continuing.
What about disasters that wipe out industries and towns? Now we have new challenges. It's 2001 in the game, and you may be rich, but if an earthquake destroys your industries, or a fire in your fattest town wipes out your well-developed stations, can you build back what you had? This would help the game to continue and the user to meet the new challenges that even being rich would require the same struggle you had in the beginning.
All of this continuation is helped by towns that appear when most of the industries have been accounted for. And i think it would a nice challenge...
good idea

Return to “OpenTTD Development”