Red*Stars modern train station set [beta released]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Red*Stars modern train station set [beta release pending

Post by Badger »

Downloaded! Will have a play tomorrow. Well done!
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Red*Stars modern train station set [beta released]

Post by planetmaker »

I must say: very nice :-) and glad to finally see this set alive and kicking.

A few remarks and questions:
- why can I only build the racoon city plaza as 1x1 and not larger or drag it? Is it correct that it's a plain green tile only?
- Racoon City can only be built as length 1. That doesn't sound useful nor does it look nice. I guess the check came out here just the wrong way
- for better alignment wrt North the Jena Paradies plaza graphics needs to rotate by 180°, at least where the road entry / exit is in \ direction (the other is fictional anyway :-P )
- Hannover Laatzen: why not allow to build the overpass building only (length 1)?
- Hannover Laatzen: why not allow longer lengths? The non-overpass tiles could be added infinitely in track direction.

- ramps and round ends: it doesn't make sense to allow longer lengths than 1.
- why don't you allow to drag the plant square and other stations of that type? It may seem sensible to not add them infinitely, but it's the user who has wants to build it bigger and look at the result... If there's no graphical restriction to it, then I'd not forbid it as it will only annoy, if bigger areas are desired.

Wishlist:
- snow awareness of the graphics
- tiles without roof, like those of the Alderville or Hannover might want to use semi-transparent ground tiles instead of the brown ground to better fit into the environment; the brown area is IMHO a bit too dominant.

Cheers & kudos,
pm
SamMacca
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SamMacca »

Just one little wish from me.. half stations, like on the Canadian Station Set and the PGS.

Makes for more realistic stations IMO.. still, looks amazing..

EDIT; you should add some buffers to the set aswell, ones that match the stations.. please :]
ImageImageImage

James Hetfield.. God..
ColdIce
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ColdIce »

Thank you so much for this release :bow:

thank you... thank you thank you

@planetmaker

I`ve managed to build all the stations. Just follow the instructions on the readme file :wink:
The rest is confetti!
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

planetmaker wrote:- why can I only build the racoon city plaza as 1x1 and not larger or drag it? Is it correct that it's a plain green tile only?
- Racoon City can only be built as length 1. That doesn't sound useful nor does it look nice. I guess the check came out here just the wrong way
That's because OpenTTD doesn't have a +7 button like TTDPatch does. I suggest you take a look at the readme file because all the stations are quite complex.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Most impressive even during the quick once over I just gave it. Thank you both.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

planetmaker wrote:I must say: very nice :-) and glad to finally see this set alive and kicking.
planetmaker wrote:- for better alignment wrt North the Jena Paradies plaza graphics needs to rotate by 180°, at least where the road entry / exit is in \ direction (the other is fictional anyway :-P )
I'm sorry... could you explain that once again? Are you talking about the relation between game and reality? :D
planetmaker wrote:- Hannover Laatzen: why not allow to build the overpass building only (length 1)?
Because of the reflections in the windows. Maybe I can create an additional version without the reflections in the future.
planetmaker wrote:- Hannover Laatzen: why not allow longer lengths? The non-overpass tiles could be added infinitely in track direction.
Then the grass tiles in the north have to be repeated also, and that's space-wasting, IMHO.
planetmaker wrote:Wishlist:
- snow awareness of the graphics
- tiles without roof, like those of the Alderville or Hannover might want to use semi-transparent ground tiles instead of the brown ground to better fit into the environment; the brown area is IMHO a bit too dominant.
I see: We won't get out of work ^^
SamMacca wrote:Just one little wish from me.. half stations, like on the Canadian Station Set and the PGS.

Sorry, but do you mean terminus stations? Or just "smaller" stations?
SamMacca wrote:]EDIT; you should add some buffers to the set aswell, ones that match the stations.. please :]
Good idea! I will put it on my agenda.
Like sun is to the dark soil,
so is true enlightenment to the soil's friends.

N.F.S. Grundtvig
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Great to have these nice looking stations playable at last! :D

If I may add to the collective wish-list, I'd love it if the "Ramp" and "Round End" platform tiles were available with half-tile platforms (meaning a platform either left or right of the track, but not both sides). This would be needed to create a nice platform end e.g. for the alderville station, which uses halftile platforms.
You could either just make these halftile parts manually buildable, or the existing "Ramp" and "Round End" tiles aware of the tiles next to it so the game selects the fitting sprite automagically. I reckon the first way is easier... ;)
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Red*Star wrote:
planetmaker wrote:- for better alignment wrt North the Jena Paradies plaza graphics needs to rotate by 180°, at least where the road entry / exit is in \ direction (the other is fictional anyway :-P )
I'm sorry... could you explain that once again? Are you talking about the relation between game and reality? :D
Yes, indeed. The Jena Paradies round-about is in the South-South-East of the station (at the Paradies side ;-) ), the road passes to the North-North-West under the tracks towards the town centre. Currently I cannot create that ;-) Thus my suggestion to rotate the / view of that sprite by 180°. Of course this arguably is a very petty point ;-) - but there are not many stations where I (de-)boarded a train more often ;-)
Red*Star wrote:
planetmaker wrote:- Hannover Laatzen: why not allow to build the overpass building only (length 1)?
Because of the reflections in the windows. Maybe I can create an additional version without the reflections in the future.
That'd be very welcome. For one, this overpass is awesome in its own right and looks nice when put adjacent to eachother. For 2nd it would allow MUCH more user-friendlyness. The grass-tiles being added are IMHO no problem. If a user minds he can either skip building it or remove or overbuild them afterwards. But currently it's just frustrating to build - which is much worse than "author thinks it's not sensible". Alternatively one could add randomly one of the many park tiles there.

With the same argument I'd allow any length of the racoon station which is (2+n)x(4+2m) with n,m >= 0. The station would loose nothing, the graphics support that without change and the set improve A LOT its user-friendlyness.

Cheers,
pm
SamMacca
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SamMacca »

SamMacca wrote:Just one little wish from me.. half stations, like on the Canadian Station Set and the PGS.

Red*Star wrote: Sorry, but do you mean terminus stations? Or just "smaller" stations?
I mean like this;
CanSet Half Platforms.PNG
CanSet Half Platforms.PNG (47.88 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
ImageImageImage

James Hetfield.. God..
Muzzly
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Muzzly »

XeryusTC wrote:
planetmaker wrote:- why can I only build the racoon city plaza as 1x1 and not larger or drag it? Is it correct that it's a plain green tile only?
That's because OpenTTD doesn't have a +7 button like TTDPatch does. I suggest you take a look at the readme file because all the stations are quite complex.
So is the a way to build Berlin Plaza in openttd? readme.html has not help me.
I also cannot build racoon city, I hope that's because it is only beta release :-)

In any case great work . Thanks !!! :bow:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

muzzy wrote: So is the a way to build Berlin Plaza in openttd? readme.html has not help me.
Same here. The "suggestion" of the readme actually means that you HAVE to use the drag tool and drag the station to that EXACT size which is "suggested" by the readme. Which is, sorry to say, anything but intuitively to grasp, given the possible sizes of 2...5 x 8.
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

planetmaker wrote:
Red*Star wrote:
Yes, indeed. The Jena Paradies round-about is in the South-South-East of the station (at the Paradies side ;-) ), the road passes to the North-North-West under the tracks towards the town centre. Currently I cannot create that ;-) Thus my suggestion to rotate the / view of that sprite by 180°. Of course this arguably is a very petty point ;-) -
Uhm... I never really thought that [O]TTD was strictly aligned to anything like the compass rose. Or at least I thought that was just an optional alignment to do in one's own brain.
planetmaker wrote:but there are not many stations where I (de-)boarded a train more often ;-)
I always could take two starting locations when I studied there: Jena Ost or Jena Paradies. Interestingly it made nearly no difference when going from there (over Halle when riding from J. Paradies, over Göttingen when riding from J. Ost) to my home and family - neither in time, nor in money.
planetmaker wrote:
muzzy wrote: So is the a way to build Berlin Plaza in openttd? readme.html has not help me.
Same here. The "suggestion" of the readme actually means that you HAVE to use the drag tool and drag the station to that EXACT size which is "suggested" by the readme. Which is, sorry to say, anything but intuitively to grasp, given the possible sizes of 2...5 x 8.
The suggestions are really meant as suggestions. The real problems are:

1. the set is beta
2. the set is beta ;), so the readme partially explains things that are not implemented right now -- I'm sorry about that
3. if one does not read the text, where it is said that
readme wrote:The station must be built on an partially elevated site which allows 4 platforms to be built on the upper and the two entrance towers next to them (called "Berlin Plaza" in the game) on the lower level. The plazas need to be at least 8 tiles long while the station must be at 4 platforms wide and 6 or more tiles long."
and only looks at the "suggested layouts", then it is right: It looks like there are more degrees of freedom than in reality there are. But then it's one's own fault, because the text is not there just-for-fun ;)
However, I see (and have to apologize for that) just now that "The plazas need to be at least 8 tiles long" is indeed wrong, there should be written "exactly 8 tiles long", although it is a good idea to implement that more dynamically. Fortunately I was not the author of that paragraph, unfortunately I should have noticed it when I edited the readme :D

SamMacca wrote:

Red*Star wrote: Sorry, but do you mean terminus stations? Or just "smaller" stations?
I mean like this;
CanSet Half Platforms.PNG
Ah! Yes, that was initially planned by me, IIRC, but is not implemented right now.

@most of the other problems & bugs:
Now with the set in the online repository, I currently can't do more than write it again: If you can code, help us with it. If you want the bugs removed and are not able to code - learn it, if this is an important project for you. :D
Like sun is to the dark soil,
so is true enlightenment to the soil's friends.

N.F.S. Grundtvig
ColdIce
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ColdIce »

maybe this video could help you build the stations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP5Ma6L-1ec
The rest is confetti!
blitzkrieg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blitzkrieg »

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Fantastic graphics!!
@ Red*Star:- Could you add an introduction date? Looks really futuristic when used in pre-1980 period.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

blitzkrieg wrote::bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Fantastic graphics!!
@ Red*Star:- Could you add an introduction date? Looks really futuristic when used in pre-1980 period.
If so, please add a parameter to disable that check :)
Member of the
ImageImage
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

There should be an introduction date on the Berlin station and possibly on the Jena or the Racoon city station but I'm not sure about that. It might be that it doesn't work anymore though as quite some time has passed since I started coding them. I do need to add it for more stations though :o
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

ColdIce wrote:maybe this video could help you build the stations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP5Ma6L-1ec
(Supposing that's you who made the video, ) did you know you can drag the raise and lower tools too (since ages) instead of raising one edge and then using the flatten tool?
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Thank you very much for this great set!
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Thanks! It's a very nice station set. :D
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]

Return to “Graphics Development”