Quast65's Road Set (V010 released on BaNaNas 10-10-2023)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Quast65's Road Set (V008 released on BaNaNas 25-06-2023)

Post by Argus »

I tried using this set with Polroad with custom roads.
As always, the betrayal occurs when the city deliberately uses Polish asphalt as the road it builds.
True, it was again a change in graphics, which I allowed myself, since this game has not been launched for a long time, just the beginning. But I'm afraid the same problem will occur in a new game that starts with both road sets.
I'm afraid that until it is possible to specify in the settings which roads will be built by cities, mixes of different sets of roads are impossible. In this way, the city is able to completely close the road to cars that cannot use Polroad.
By the way, Polish basic asphalt has a limit of 60 kilometers. That would not matter, but later the cities will use the improved asphalt with 90 kilometers. And when I enter a new game, regardless of the order of the graphics, the city will deliberately use Polish asphalt for public roads, which means that they will also build it as a city road....
At the same time, I would say that Polroad does not define urban roads, and therefore the set of roads that define them should take precedence. Obviously, this is not the case.
Conclusion, the attempt failed.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Argus wrote: 26 Jun 2023 13:09 I'm afraid that until it is possible to specify in the settings which roads will be built by cities, mixes of different sets of roads are impossible.
Not true, it all depends on the sets that you are trying to mix.
Some will work, some wont.
It works very good for example with the Auz roads.

The thing is that I (and almost all other roadset-developers) use two basic roadlabels that everybody uses (and in most cases also needs to use).
ROAD and ELRD
These replace the basic OpenTTD Road and Electric Road (and thus also makes sure that almost all "normal" vehicles can drive on the new roads).
However, when you mix sets, then those will be replaced, depending on what set is loaded last.

I believe it is "fixable" by using hidden roadtypes, because then those will be replaced and you still keep all of the visible roads (so, In my case the cityroad and cityroad electrified wont dissappear/replace).
But this takes up 2 precious roadtype slots that I dont want to give up for my personal games.
Maybe, I can do something via Parameter....

EDIT:
It looks like that it will work
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

In that case, Quastroads urban roads should be used if they are loaded second, but this is not the case, not even in the case of URatt - the problems were in the Hamburg scenario, when Polish vehicles did not drive on URatt roads. Maybe Polroad has a compatibility problem, it's an old set.
It will be interesting to experiment with different kits, I believe the JF Ratt road could work, after all it is based on the AUZ kit.
A combination with Slovak roads could also work, with the JF set there was no big problem except for a few small things. Perhaps I let myself be unnecessarily discouraged by some failures. :)
Edit: With Slovakian roads, I had to turn off the broad seawater road. However, note the order of graphics and Slovak city roads, not yours.
SUVs strangely do not want to drive on Slovak roads, would that be a problem with the standard again? That might fix the settings, but once I enable hidden paths for those sets, I'll have to turn something off again.
Hmm, so the combination of Slovak roads and JF Rattroads behaves exactly as you write.
And both sets will put the SUV on the road. Only Slovak trolleybuses suddenly do not want to drive on JF trolleybus roads. But that will be a problem with the Slovak set, it's still beta.
Attachments
Murphy & Co., 11. úno 1950.png
(398.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Quast65's Road Set (V009 released on BaNaNas 26-06-2023)

Post by Quast65 »

V009 Released on Bananas

*Set flag NOHOUSES on roadtypes:
-Seawaterway
-Lakewaterway
-Beachroad
-Sandroad
-Grassroad
-Ruralroad
-Countryroad
-Motorway
-Highway
-Highway Electrified
-Grass, Tile
-Taxiway
-Formula-1 track
-Formula-1 Pitlane

*Added enabling ROAD & ELRD as hidden roadtypes via Parameter

SOURCES (Only code changes):
SOURCES_Q65ROADS_v009.rar
(15.19 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Thank you, now it works as I would expect, but strangely again, SUVs, AATVs and horse carriages do not want to go on Slovak roads, while it worked for JF road and Slovak roads. Again, the same problem with Slovak trolleybuses, but the author still recommends turning off the own roads if I want to use other trolleybus routes.
And it didn't work with the Waterway in the subarctic climate, as there were two more roads.
But the Polish set is probably simply not compatible, or what is wrong with it. He's still imposing himself there.
Timberwolf's roads also look promising, I just didn't put cars there. I guess I'll start with that.
My main thing is that these are really minimalistic road sets, especially in Timberwolf's case, I fundamentally miss the rural types of roads and paths. I don't really need to mix Uratt or JF Ratt roads with other roads as they are quite luxurious. But using Uratt mini for example could be interesting on the other hand. Or parts of an older AUZ set, like the old roads.
Edit:Weird, once I add Timberwolf's vehicles, SUV's and horse drawn carriages can't go on his roads, while Timberwolf's cars can drive on your roads.
Well, I've already reported to him that there are a few bugs in Timberwolf's kit, and it's more usable than Polroad's for now. More variety in transport.
Some cities will not want to allow horses and SUVs on the roads :wink:
Attachments
Beze jména, 28. led 1950.png
(257.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Argus wrote: 26 Jun 2023 17:26 SUVs, AATVs and horse carriages do not want to go on Slovak roads
Not my problem, ask Kreumelchen if he can make the Slovak Roads compatible with his GRF.
Or ask the Slovak Road dev's to start using the Standard Scheme.
Please dont report issues that dont relate to my GRF...
And it didn't work with the Waterway in the subarctic climate, as there were two more roads.
My GRF should work fine with Waterways, as well as in Temperate and in Arctic/Alpine.
Read my comment in the first post of this thread with regards to Waterways.

Code: Select all

When used in combination with Kreumelchens WaterWayRoads, place my roadset before the WaterWayRoads GRF.
Also disable the Seawaterway and Lakewaterway, via parameter, in my GRF, as WaterWayRoads offers exactly the same looking roads,
Keep in mind that there is a 64 road/tramtype maximum!! (and that some sets use hidden roadtypes, that you cant see, but they do count towards the 64)
In the console, you can enter

dump_info roadtypes
It will then show you how many and which road/tramtypes are active in your game.
But the Polish set is probably simply not compatible, or what is wrong with it. He's still imposing himself there.
I have tested this, shoud be ok (at least with new games).
If my set is loaded first (with the hidden baseroadtypes parameter enabled), my road is the road that cities use, if you put Polish first, their road is the road cities use.
In both cases, you should see 8 polish roads and my 29 roads in the build-menu.
Be aware that my set (with the hidden baseroadtypes parameter enabled) has a total of 36 roads then (29 visible, 7 hidden).

In general, do your tests with new games only!!
Changing roads in running games (old savegames) can create weird issues!

Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Everything is clear to me and all new attempts were made only with new games. And thanks for the very helpful command, it will come in handy :)
Brickblock1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brickblock1 »

Quast65 wrote: 26 Jun 2023 17:44
Argus wrote: 26 Jun 2023 17:26 SUVs, AATVs and horse carriages do not want to go on Slovak roads
Not my problem, ask Kreumelchen if he can make the Slovak Roads compatible with his GRF.
Or ask the Slovak Road dev's to start using the Standard Scheme.
Please dont report issues that dont relate to my GRF...
The issue is kinda related to your grf but it is also the default behavior when combineing multiple sets. The problem stems from the fact that suv vehicles will end up on roads which don't let them drive on roads from other sets. This can be fixed by adding those labels to the powered list but that is kinda weird since you don't have to use multiple sets. I wouldn't add support this is also why I was making the standard way to complex which I have since chosen to ignore.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I have tested this, shoud be ok (at least with new games).
If my set is loaded first (with the hidden baseroadtypes parameter enabled), my road is the road that cities use, if you put Polish first, their road is the road cities use.
In both cases, you should see 8 polish roads and my 29 roads in the build-menu.
Be aware that my set (with the hidden baseroadtypes parameter enabled) has a total of 36 roads then (29 visible, 7 hidden).
In that case, maybe there's something else going on with me, because once I start a new game with Polroad and your roads, it's still the same, regardless of order - at least when starting a new game in 1950.
I tried starting at 1900 and that works fine. But only because only very early and slow Polish roads are available.
I have to try it completely alone, without the other graphics. Thank you :)
Edit: So I don't really understand this, a new game, not JGR for sure, and still the same.
I don't understand why we're both getting different results, but I think I'll drop Polroads from any attempts. I also want to try your build on its own first, I'm just curious about the combo options and sorry for spam. :) :oops:
Attachments
Beze jména, 12. led 1950.png
(141.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Argus wrote: 26 Jun 2023 20:19 different results
I have been getting the same results as you after using new freshly started games, but I found the answer in the wiki:

TOWN_BUILD
Enables the roadtype to be built by towns, picked by highest speed (defaults to ROAD if no speed limits?)
The Polish roadtype in modern times has a higher speed, hence it will ALWAYS be picked over my cityroad.
Adding the ROAD/ELRD Parameter still is good to make sure that still all roads can be built by the player.

Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

And that brings us to the core of the problem. It would be best if you could choose which road will be urban, because in the case of Polroad we end up with an absurd limit of 90 kilometers in the city. And it certainly doesn't look like the author wants to do anything about it yet.
For sets that define some kind of urban road, the game doesn't tend to go for the fastest one available. Game is building a city road. For sets that define their own city road, then their order matters.
If the game starts at a time when a city road is not available, the fastest available road will of course be used.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Argus wrote: 26 Jun 2023 21:43 it certainly doesn't look like the author wants to do anything about it yet.
PolRoad is GPL-licensed. You could fork it with a parameter that disables the TOWN-BUILD flag...

Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Just a small note, other road graphics usually have a warning in the menu of road types about those that do not allow the construction of houses. Newbies can get confused if this information isn't there and might report it to you as a bug unnecessarily. :)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

It's in the information of the first post of this thread.

Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Excellent, that will probably be enough :) I'm already looking forward to the eyecandy tram lines. :)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I agree that that kind of information should be found somewhere, same goes for what roads allow what kind of vehicles, but I believe that it is enough to put that in the first post of this thread.
I'm already looking forward to the eyecandy tram lines
Working on those right now, hope to have a release later this week.

Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Can tram lines be given a No House flag?
Now it occurred to me that it would be useful for the high-speed tram. I know, I probably should have put that in the topic about your trams. :oops:
Edit: Sorry, stupidity, just put her across the road with the flag. :oops:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Argus wrote: 27 Jun 2023 20:29 Can tram lines be given a No House flag?
Just checked the wiki and the answer is yes (which honestly I didnt expect...)

I had no idea that houses will be built along a tramline, I think it is rather odd.
I am also curious what happens if you lay a no-house-tram over a house-road and viceversa...

Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

To tell you the truth, I had no idea either, nor had I seen it anywhere. It would definitely be weird if houses were built along the tram line itself,
it would be like if every citizen owned a tram. :lol:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Well, I did some testing and there are some interesting results:

On their own, no houses will be built along a tramtrack (even without the NO_HOUSES flag)
BUT, it looks like that HOUSE will always overrule NO_HOUSE
Example832.png
Example832.png (192.5 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
So, this may mean that it is best to always give tramtracks a NO_HOUSE flag....
To avoid houses being built along NO_HOUSE roads that have a tramtrack over them.

Also, another interesting thing:
Towns can propagate through no house roads but not through tram track

Return to “Graphics Development”