FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translatio

Post by kamnet »

wallyweb wrote:There seems to be some question about the degradation of sugar cane and sugar beets. I live in Saint John, New Brunswick where we used to have a sugar refinery. The raw material was sugar cane imported by ship from the Caribbean, a voyage of a couple thousand kilometres and several days. As far as I know degradation was not an issue. The refinery was an old one and was eventually closed by the owners in favour of a larger newer one in Montréal, which added at least another 1000 kilometres to the voyage. Degradation is definitely not an issue.
According to this source:
"Sugar cane is one of the bulkiest of crops. Modern harvesting methods require the transport of large quantities of chopped cane to processing facilities within hours of harvesting. Efficient transport of chopped cane is essential to avoid losses of sugar content after harvesting and to maintain a uniform flow of cane through the mills."
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

kamnet wrote:...
Well obviously Caribbean sugar cane must be significantly more stable than the Australian stuff. :wink:
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

FIRS farms only plant varieties of sugarcane and sugar beet which can be transported easily. That means spoilage is not a significant issue. :)

Surprisingly large number of replies about a minor string change necessitated by a minor bug fix :)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

From a railway enthusiast´s POV, "sugar cane/beets" is an interesting cargo, which was quite important in recent decades. Surviving sugar cane plantation railways, mostly in the Philippines/Indonesia, are well-visited today by enthusiasts. Likewise, in Germany, the harvesting season for sugar beets ("Rübenkampagne") once was a major event for railways engagement. Here are some pics (from Switzerland, though): http://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=43993

regards
Michael
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

michael blunck wrote:From a railway enthusiast´s POV, "sugar cane/beets" is an interesting cargo, which was quite important in recent decades. Surviving sugar cane plantation railways, mostly in the Philippines/Indonesia, are well-visited today by enthusiasts. Likewise, in Germany, the harvesting season for sugar beets ("Rübenkampagne") once was a major event for railways engagement. Here are some pics (from Switzerland, though): http://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=43993

regards
Michael
Exactly the same it was in The Netherlands where it was called the Bietencampagne. No idea why it's called (k/c)ampagne in both countries btw.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Hyronymus wrote: Exactly the same it was in The Netherlands where it was called the Bietencampagne. No idea why it's called (k/c)ampagne in both countries btw.
German wikipedia says because it needed "quasi-military planning". I.e., harvesting vehicle use, rail waggon allocation, ..., simply because the whole harvesting procedure has to be managed in a tight time-frame.

regards
Michael
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

michael blunck wrote:
Hyronymus wrote: Exactly the same it was in The Netherlands where it was called the Bietencampagne. No idea why it's called (k/c)ampagne in both countries btw.
German wikipedia says because it needed "quasi-military planning". I.e., harvesting vehicle use, rail waggon allocation, ..., simply because the whole harvesting procedure has to be managed in a tight time-frame.

regards
Michael
That makes sense :).
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

wallyweb wrote:There seems to be some question about the degradation of sugar cane and sugar beets. I live in Saint John, New Brunswick where we used to have a sugar refinery. The raw material was sugar cane imported by ship from the Caribbean, a voyage of a couple thousand kilometres and several days. As far as I know degradation was not an issue. The refinery was an old one and was eventually closed by the owners in favour of a larger newer one in Montréal, which added at least another 1000 kilometres to the voyage. Degradation is definitely not an issue.
Nah, the sugarcane must be burned - if not, the refinery will get nothing !!
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
squallzinn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by squallzinn »

andythenorth wrote:
squallzinn wrote:FIRS portuguese language file attached.
Thanks. That's added to FIRS now and will be in the 0.8.3 release (available soon).

One FIRS string has changed recently: 'Sugarcane Plantation' is now just 'Sugar Plantation', as it may produce sugarcane or sugar beet. If you want to change the string, post it here. ;)
Which character set is used on repository? All specials characters (ã, é, ç, ô, etc..) were replaced.

About 'Sugarcane Plantation' it can be translate to 'Plantação de Açúcar', but it can sounds strange. Sugar can't be planted because it isn't a vegetable.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

The repository uses the Unicode character set (ie close to all characters in the entire world), and it is encoded in UTF-8 just like every NML project (since NML assumes that encoding).
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

In this case it got messed up upon conversion from one to another character set.
I've fixed it now in r3311 (I hope).

EDIT: What surprized me the most is that the grflangid was set to 01, instead of 36.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Maybe NML needs a feature like "abort: found two language files with same grflangid" :D
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Note to the Dutch translator: there is an error in the translation of grain mill: it's translated as bakery (bakkerij). Maybe it's caused by the bakery having two different graphical representations: one of a mill and one of a bakery?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

While I'm not necessarily the Dutch translator, I am in the position to be one of them...

Do you have suggestions for an alternative? Would "graanmolen" be better? It's a bit tricky to find one name that covers both. I agree that "bakkerij" isn't quite correct.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

FooBar wrote:While I'm not necessarily the Dutch translator, I am in the position to be one of them...

Do you have suggestions for an alternative? Would "graanmolen" be better? It's a bit tricky to find one name that covers both. I agree that "bakkerij" isn't quite correct.
I received a PM from Alberth too and I think it's best to wait for andythenorth. Maybe there is a reason why bakeries have 2 appearances but I suspect the mill to be the precursor of the bakery, much like iron works and steel mills.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

'Grain Mill' is sufficiently generic to work in English. Dunno about Dutch.

Consider the case: RL grain is ground to flour and distributed to bakeries, shops etc.

But we have a game case, where grain is delivered, and food comes out. And yes, depending on era, it looks like a windmill (because windmills are neat), or a small factory (because windmills mostly fell out of use over time).

So translate whatever covers that case :) But life is short, so don't forget to have fun doing it ;)
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Currently I'm updating the Hungarian translation, and I have some questions:

What does the basic farm do and where does it appear? What is the difference between the basic farm and the arable farm? Currently the arable farm is simply translated as 'farm' in Hungarian, but I need some distinction between them.

What does the port do? Its translation is quite obvious, I'm just curious :D
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

The basic farm is like the default TTD farm: it produces grain and livestock.
The arable farm only produces crops and no animals.

The port, as I understand it, is a trading place for certain cargoes. You put some cargoes in and get unrelated cargoes back. See it as if you're trading with neighbouring country which is not on the map.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

+1 to what FooBar said about Basic Farm, it is FIRS equivalent of default TTD farm.

The port is work-in-progress. It's in the nightly, but not finished and not tested for gameplay. I wouldn't translate anything for it yet, your work will probably be wasted ;)

Return to “Graphics Development”