Japan Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

sigh

It isn't a matter of me tweaking my code so it works in OTTD. It's a matter of OTTD implementing the newgrf specifications thoroughly. I'm not supporting OTTD with any of my work, if theres a clear bug in my code that prevents it from working in OTTD when both are matched in terms of newgrf implementation, then I'll fix it. But at the moment, it's not my problem.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I don't use OTTD, and don't care strongly about supporting it. Certainly I wouldn't want to delay coding work on its behalf. However, I simply point out that there are some sets which have OTTD-compatible versions, so it must be at least sort-of possible. It's been this way for a long time; is OTTD making serious efforts to provide proper GRF support? Or has the GRF standard been changing too much, too fast? I thought it had mostly stabilized for a while.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

they have been doing lots of work on it and i think if the current sets dont end up with new code thats been implemented after the stable then they should be able to catch up a fair bit.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

There's no need to take OTTD into consideration when coding the set. Just code it for ttdpatch and it will eventually work in OTTD as well. The only differences in functionality that exists now has something to do with things OTTD can do but ttdpatch can not.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Korenn wrote:The only differences in functionality that exists now has something to do with things OTTD can do but ttdpatch can not.
Oh, I'll say it before DaleStan does...
TTDPatch supports *more* grf functions/actions/whatever than openTTD, not less.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Korenn wrote:There's no need to take OTTD into consideration when coding the set. Just code it for ttdpatch and it will eventually work in OTTD as well. The only differences in functionality that exists now has something to do with things OTTD can do but ttdpatch can not.

Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Prof. Frink wrote:
Korenn wrote:The only differences in functionality that exists now has something to do with things OTTD can do but ttdpatch can not.
Oh, I'll say it before DaleStan does...
TTDPatch supports *more* grf functions/actions/whatever than openTTD, not less.
read more carefully then, since I did not say it supported less. all I'm saying is that there is one difference in the grf functionality that has a variable indicating whether the set runs in ttdpatch or ottd. that means there is something that ottd does that ttdpatch doesn't, otherwise why have that variable?

one thing that ottd does that ttdpatch doesn't is not greater than the dozens of things ttdpatch does and ottd doesn't. happy?

what is this bigotry in the reactions whenever the word ottd is mentioned? as if there's a big conspiracy by 'ottd-people' to try and put off ttdpatch as being less at every opportunity... I know Dalestan is doing that against ottd, but I hoped he was the only one.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Korenn wrote:what is this bigotry in the reactions whenever the word ottd is mentioned?
You're not the one who has to answer all the damn questions about why your .grf's don't work in OpenTTD.

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I believe there are certain features which OTTD offers that the Patch doesn't. However, there are a TON of features, some of which have been around for years, that OTTD still doesn't support. It doesn't seem to be a very high priority for the developers. That is their right, but that being the case, and given that the GRF format is relatively well-documented, I don't think OTTD compatability has to be top priority for every set, particularly ones still in development.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

krtaylor wrote:I believe there are certain features which OTTD offers that the Patch doesn't. However, there are a TON of features, some of which have been around for years, that OTTD still doesn't support. It doesn't seem to be a very high priority for the developers. That is their right, but that being the case, and given that the GRF format is relatively well-documented, I don't think OTTD compatability has to be top priority for every set, particularly ones still in development.
right, exactly what I said.
now let's get back on topic ;)

when will the next version grf be out?
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well....? Anybody working on coding still? OR can at least we have partially complete coding work posted so maybe someone else can finish it of and finally release this set? The drawing has been done for like a year.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

krtaylor wrote:Well....? Anybody working on coding still? OR can at least we have partially complete coding work posted so maybe someone else can finish it of and finally release this set? The drawing has been done for like a year.
EASY tiger... I can understand you are eager, but please stop being so darn demanding. I'm learning to code, as are other people. I suggest again that you give it a try.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I'd think that a monthly update just to let us know that work is still progressing, is not totally unreasonable. And if someone has to stop work entirely, as happened the first attempt at coding, it would be nice to have the half-completed work posted so someone else could take it up, so as not to have to start all over from the beginning.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I'm in the process of doing more coding work on the Japanset scenery and buildings. First off, I'm splitting the rather gigantic .grf into four. Landscape, Trees, Town names, and the buildings themselves. This is to make it easier to code, quicker to compiler, easier to manage, and allows people to use just the landscape or trees if they want. Or people who want just the japanese buildings to have just them availible,

Yes, I could do this via .grf parameters. But I'm not going to. Please don't remind me, as it solves only the latter reason for the spliting. Not the former few.

And Sanchimaru, any news on those buildings? They just needed the construction sprites, correct?

Edit: OH! I'm also working through the list of things that Sanchimaru asked me to change. Almost forgot about that...

Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Oh, nice to see that you got some time to code the buildings 8)
The sepparate GRFs seems like a good idea, if it's easier to code this way, feel free to proceed.

And yes, the last buildings still need the construction states... but don't wait for them, I won't finish them in time.

Just improve the previous bugs (in page 112, I think) and check if you can add these 2 also:
> the baseball stadium
> train signals
We thought that the signals should belong to the scenery GRF rather than the train one.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think the signals should be another separate GRF, and I have absolutely no problem with splitting the GRF files into separate ones if it makes things easier. Whatever helps you out with the coding is fine by me!
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Righto, got the Shiro recoded as a town building. Using the same coding as the two four-tile temples, so only 1 will appear per town, and 15 of them max per map.

I've removed all industry code altogether, industries, I believe, should be a seperate thing altogether from the buildings, handled at the same time as industries/new cargoes are added to the train set.

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Here we go, new release, new stuffs.

http://www.aegir.bur.st/files/ttd/index ... 0Buildings

Still haven't worked through all of Sanchimaru's bugs, but I've atleast gotten started on them.

Also, landscape/rails/roads, trees, buildings, and town names are all seperate .grf's.

Have fun, and remember to post issues here. This should be a good solid release that people can use in their games without too many fears of compatibility issues later on down the track. So dig in!

Edit: Have a screeny aswell
Attachments
japanbuildings.png
japanbuildings.png (74.4 KiB) Viewed 1786 times

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I have updated the official site, and everything is available for download! (Not the trains though, just the scenery.) So, there'd just be one more GRF file, for the signals, and of course the updated trains.

I didn't add any Readme. Are there any special instructions?
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Not really, what you see is what you get with those .grf's.

I personally avoid writing readmes anyway. I get dumbass questions regardless of wether I release one or not :lol:, but feel free.

As I get around to it, I'll finish off covering all of the bugs that Sanchimaru raised, once those are done, and whatever new artwork is coded, I think I'll do another new release.

Heh, I might even attach a version number to it, 1.0 sounds nice and round.

Return to “Graphics Development”