Pathing signals junctions and servicing {two questions}

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Pathing signals junctions and servicing {two questions}

Post by audigex »

You need signals on the other end of the station platforms, facing inwards ;-)

If you look, the only signal it can reach is the one on the other depot. The two exit tracks involve 90 degree turns (edit, if you have 90 degree turns enabled, it's because it doesn't want to go that way anyway), and towards the station it would have to reserve a path to the back of a 1-way signal, which it can't do.
Jon
micomico
Engineer
Engineer

Post by micomico »

The trains must be able to reserve track to the next path signal, or to end of line (eg. terminal station).

Check in the (a bit large) picture how the trains leaving Garnfield and Dentbourne have reserved the track (reserved track appears darker). They can use both tracks in either direction.

You can see on the right that - if a little section of the track wasn't missing - the train coming from the bridge could have reserved a path which wouldn't block the stopped train. Looking closer, i didn't put the track because it become a very sharp turn.
Attachments
MicoTrans, 1st May 1971.png
(264.4 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quinch »

Alright, so what can prevent a train from reserving a path?
Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quinch »

Okay, I just realized something -

What is the signal type used here, in the double/triple/quadruple layouts? It has two lights like a path signal, but also presignal-type yellow "signs". The yellow lower light is also unfamiliar. What type of signal is it and how do I reach it, as I can't find it in the signal window.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

it's just a different graphical representation of the one way path signal. these pages have not been updated to the new signal graphics
Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Quinch »

Alright, I'm gradually starting to figure out the path signals stuff - now I'm wondering under what circumstances will a train self-service? I've seen trains way past due for their maintenance ignore both conveniently and inconveniently placed depots, so I'm no longer sure how it works.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

I never bother with auto-servicing anymore. I tend to build servicing into the train's schedule. For example:

Goto station A
Goto Station B
Goto station A (no loading)
Goto depot

This also makes it somewhat reasonable to use lower reliability locomotives.

On a branch or feeder line, I still use these orders:

Goto station A
Goto station B
Service at depot

I haven't used the "if reliability is less than (x%) then goto depot" yet, but I plan to see how it works.

At least in my games, the
Quinch wrote:Alright, I'm gradually starting to figure out the path signals stuff - now I'm wondering under what circumstances will a train self-service? I've seen trains way past due for their maintenance ignore both conveniently and inconveniently placed depots, so I'm no longer sure how it works.
Who is John Galt?

Return to “General OpenTTD”