Patch: Grass growth on unused tracks

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RK »

The difference between normal and unused tracks is too heavy in my opinion. What about the approach of rusty tracks? http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=183769#183769
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

RK wrote:The difference between normal and unused tracks is too heavy in my opinion. What about the approach of rusty tracks? http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=183769#183769
I think a combination of the both would be the best, 1st stage very light grass with rusty rails.

About Monorail/maglev: I just noticed that it works for those too; not by design. I want to keep it in, but they would of course need their own overlay sprites.

Ben_K is working hard on the sprites, as soon as I get the full set I'll post an update here of course!
Juhl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Juhl »

Looks very promising :)

I think that the first stage should be light grass only, and the rust should come in the second or third stage. Mainly because grass grows faster than rust on unused rails.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Hmmm... Well, Ive completed the flat set. All I have to to is the slopes. Ive been considering whether to use less grass in the stage 1 disuse or whether to leave the grass and have the rails shinier. I'll chat with Boekabart and see what he would like.
Sadly, the first shot doesnt show all the stages well. The most tiles you see there is the most disused stage. The 1st stage is much lighter (there is one tile to the left of the mound). I will post a sprite set later to show you all.
flasher86
Engineer
Engineer

Post by flasher86 »

well, I like the idea but this art is totaly SUCKS. Sorry but first of all the rails should be completly removed. The grass should be just little brown on the place where was the rail AND ONLY the rail. This is my first shot of what I think it should looks like.

Isnt it better? Of course its only provisional art.
Attachments
first shot.PNG
first shot.PNG (32.77 KiB) Viewed 7525 times
bebeto94
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bebeto94 »

I like it :bow:
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

flasher86 wrote:well, I like the idea but this art is totaly SUCKS. Sorry but first of all the rails should be completly removed. The grass should be just little brown on the place where was the rail AND ONLY the rail. This is my first shot of what I think it should looks like.

Isnt it better? Of course its only provisional art.
Well, that's your opinion, and your entitled to it. Please can you not insult other peoples work. :!:

That's the good thing about GRF's, you can design your own. I'm sure boekabart can supply you with the details so you can create your own.
bebeto94
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bebeto94 »

YOU WHAT ?? I was being complimentary , not sarcastic . I really do like it . It would show up all the old removed tracks.

Sorry , just realized you were responding to somebody else's post :oops:
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Well, tracks aren't really removed. Just not used anymore for a certain period of time. Trains are still able to use those tracks. I don't see that happening in the picture flasher86 provided. Would just look weird, a train on two brown trails. At that point you just start wondering if it derailed or something :D

I really like this patch, but I guess devs won't include it in trunk before that new map array thingy they've been talking about :(
flasher86
Engineer
Engineer

Post by flasher86 »

wooow, what a dumbass of me :D I dont know how could I not understand such simple idea :oops: . I thought it suppose to be a grass after remove the track. Thats the issue of people who dont speak english as a native language.

Even if somebody can speak english very well this capability is weakening in a while. Have to focus on what read or write, otherwise here comes such stupid situations.

Anyways. Now I think the unused rails should be just a little bit rusty and thats all (it shouldnt differ so much from the original). Becouse those graphics looks like track and a lot of green crumbs over it.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

But this way, it'll effect all tracks and track types, even if new graphics. If the effect was simply drawn onto the original tiles, the effect would be removed when somebody uses a track GRF.
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chicago Rail Authority »

I agree with Born Acorn - the approach followed should sit on top of the rail sprites (allowing multiple-set compatibility) rather than simply replacing them.
Many thanks to those who make OTTD and TTDP possible.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Which is what the current patch does. All I have done is drawn overlays.
For the record: (And for those many of you who arent reading this in earlier posts), these are quickly drawn overlays. They are subject to tweaking and adaptation. Boekabart needed something to work with so I obliged him. Yes, they are a GRF file. Yes, you can make your own. People are welcome to their opinion (and Flasher, I accept your apology :roll:) but please listen YET AGAIN:

THESE SPRITES ARE TEST SPRITES.

If someone can do better, go for it. However, Im working on them with Boekaart and will adapt them at his request.
Secondly, I think people are STILL not understanding all the track stages. Please re-read and make sure you are aware. When I get a chance, I will show a preview of the stages as they currently stand.
bebeto94
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bebeto94 »

Im easily pleased :lol: Keep up the good work !!!
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chicago Rail Authority »

Ben_K wrote:Which is what the current patch does. All I have done is drawn overlays.
Wasn't suggesting that your current patch does something else - just wanted to go on the record to note that the overlay approach is the BETTER approach.
Many thanks to those who make OTTD and TTDP possible.
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

Ben_K wrote:current patch
Does this mean you do intend to make old tracks effect network efficiency somehow? Would like to see that :wink:
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Well... sadly, I'm not the one making the patch (As I have no coding ability :( ). However, it is Boekabarts intention, if he can manage it, to restrict overgrown or less used/maintained tracks with slower speeds. I'm sure he can give you a better explanation of his ideas though. I just draw the piccies! :)

Chicago, I knew what you meant there. I wasn't referring to you :)

A few people are moaning about the temporary sprites or the patch balance and they obviously aren't stopping to think about the fact that it is only just being created. The patch is subject to sprite improvements and balancing of timing and effects. I'm sure people are just keen and enthusiastic, which is great, but they need to make sure they keep development ideas in context. Otherwise, patch developers wont share their ideas with others. At least not until they are finished. That would be sad as its nice for everyone to have an input in development. :D
FunMaker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FunMaker »

what about a train/waggon type that clears up the grass :D
would be nice to see, because normal OTTD needs no attention at all if a network or a->b line is complete - this way another Maintenance Componente comes into the game
Humour is the last hope for the hopeless
One Hopeless Man
kaan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by kaan »

FunMaker wrote:what about a train/waggon type that clears up the grass :D
would be nice to see, because normal OTTD needs no attention at all if a network or a->b line is complete - this way another Maintenance Componente comes into the game
I don't see how this would add anything valuable to the game, but I do see how we could have a lot of trouble explaining the AI how to use it.

Code: Select all

if (YouAreHappyAndYouKnowIt) {
    ClapYourHands();
}
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

flasher86 wrote:Isnt it better?
No.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”