General Worldwide Railway/Bus Chat

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

jpmaster wrote:
Theres no way he jumped over that
He didn't - it's trick photography (a green screen).

As for the british one - I like the music (You Only Live Twice).
Nick - Creator of the virtual railroading review series:

Jose
Director
Director

Post by Jose »

Speaking of level crossings, would wouldnt want to be this truck driver, this is one loooong train http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SErxBiH_iNQ
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

I posted these on Purno's forum a while back. Not mine, but very good.

----
----
----
----
-----
---
----
----
---
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
Dave

Post by Dave »

Ha bet you've never experienced a platform alteration from p2 to p3 only for the announcer to come on again 5 minutes later and say the train is indeed departing from p2.

Welcome to Wolverhampton :P.

Great model pix, JP.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Dave Worley wrote:Ha bet you've never experienced a platform alteration from p2 to p3 only for the announcer to come on again 5 minutes later and say the train is indeed departing from p2.

Welcome to Wolverhampton :P.

Great model pix, JP.
I've never had that, though if you know the layout of Peterborough Railway Station, on work experience a group of 3 women with pushchairs went through the barrier, so i clipped their tickets and told them the train would be coming into platform 3...so they go right down to the end of the platform, over the ramp and down onto platform 3, walking right up the length of it to the waiting area. After about 20 minutes of shouting over to platform 3, that it was indeed on that platform the train would be coming they suddenly rush past me on platform 2 on a hurried jog over to platform 1, so i look over and there is the WAGN train to King's Cross getting ready to leave. Silly announcer couldnt be bothered to tell everyone about the platform alteration.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Illegal_Alien wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug9IaNm75-E&NR A proof to never have old guys driving 3 wheeled cars :P
In all fairness another foot and the train would have smashed that thing to smithereens.

He was lucky.

I remember seeing that.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Jose wrote:Speaking of level crossings, would wouldnt want to be this truck driver, this is one loooong train http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SErxBiH_iNQ
What the.. Long train :shock: I wonder why they transport evergreen cookies in the desert?
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Jose wrote:Speaking of level crossings, would wouldnt want to be this truck driver, this is one loooong train http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SErxBiH_iNQ
do american freight trains have to sound the horn so many times? i just put on one long blast :P

saw this yesterday, but now seeing as this topic includes busses, here we go :twisted:
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Jose
Director
Director

Post by Jose »

Yeah he was a bit over the top with the horn. That bus racing, the future of motorsport :lol:
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

m3henry wrote: saw this yesterday, but now seeing as this topic includes busses, here we go :twisted:
lol, crazy :lol:

Yesterdat a woman was killed by a train outside Huntingdon station yesterday, GNER's were terminating at Peterborough and FCC's were running only as far as St Neots.
http://www.theticketcollector.co.uk/wor ... untingdon/
andysine
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andysine »

I liked that bus racing. Hednesford Hills Raceway isn't far from where I used to live.

These are slightly OT, but amusing nonetheless -
Crazy Caravan Racing
Totally Insane Caravan Racing
Age of Industry Replacement Set
Themed industry set for OpenTTD

The Greenest Valley
A beautiful scenario featuring Cardiff and the south Wales valleys

Mountains and Prairies
Huge scenario based on Western Canada
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

andysine wrote:These are slightly OT, but amusing nonetheless -
Crazy Caravan Racing
Totally Insane Caravan Racing
Jeremy Clarkson's favourite sport :wink:

WEEEE!

BOOM!
BOOM!
BOOM!
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Urgh, the East London Line is being extended, thats all well and good, but instead of replacing its current A stock with the new S stock, the line is going to get Electrostars, so its going to be a London Underground route, but using mainline trains. :evil:
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

jpmaster wrote:Urgh, the East London Line is being extended, thats all well and good, but instead of replacing its current A stock with the new S stock, the line is going to get Electrostars, so its going to be a London Underground route, but using mainline trains. :evil:
electrostars?
a spin-off of a Eurostar per chance?
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

I just couldnt resist posting this panorama of a TGV POS:

:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

m3henry wrote:
jpmaster wrote:Urgh, the East London Line is being extended, thats all well and good, but instead of replacing its current A stock with the new S stock, the line is going to get Electrostars, so its going to be a London Underground route, but using mainline trains. :evil:
electrostars?
a spin-off of a Eurostar per chance?
Nope, this is an Electrostar, well one varient, this is the class 376 'electrostar' the new East London Lines are going to be remodelled 376's given class name 378.

Nice way to break table structure Illegal_Alien! nice picture though.
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Very nice picture Illegal_Alien! :)

So as yours jpmaster!
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Ooh, this is a ruddy nice looking bus, the enviro 300
Click for big picture.

Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Just made a test run with RandstadRail (The tram part) (All made with my Samsung D600 phone)

Video:
http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-4640530064000670963
http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=224449426063320187
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Network Rail admits crash errors

The crash at Ladbroke Grove, near Paddington, killed 31 people
Network Rail is facing an unlimited fine after admitting health and safety breaches over the 1999 Ladbroke Grove rail crash that claimed 31 lives.
It admitted charges under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. Sentencing was adjourned to 18 December.

The crash happened when a Thames Trains train passed a red signal and hit a Great Western express in west London.

Delay frustrates relatives

Relatives of three of those who died called the adjournment yet another example of "prevarication" by Network Rail.

After the 20-minute hearing at Blackfriars Crown Court in south London, Jonathan Duckworth, chairman of the Paddington Survivors Group, said: "We are pleased they have pleaded guilty, but the plea will reduce the amount of the fine."

Signal failures

The indictment against Network Rail, which owns and operates Britain's rail infrastructure and was Railtrack at the time of the crash, cited various breaches of the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act.

Among them, it listed inadequate signal sighting distance, said part of a signal had been obscured by a large insulator, and criticised the signal's visibility.

It said the signal configuration at the scene had been "found nowhere else in the UK".

It further criticised Network Rail for failing to ensure a signal sighting committee met after six Spad (Signals Passed At Danger) incidents between 1996 and 1998.

And it said the company failed to conduct any "adequate risk assessment" or investigation following the Spads.

'Unused material'

On 18 December, Network Rail will indicate the full basis of its guilty plea in writing.

Network Rail

Nigel Sweeney QC, defending, asked for the adjournment to allow time for a mass of "unused material" to be examined.

Depending on the result, the Crown may seek a special Newton hearing, to determine Network Rail's precise level of culpability.

A Network Rail spokesman said in a statement: "The Ladbroke Grove tragedy was a terrible event for everyone involved.

"Lessons have been learned and the rail industry has changed enormously for the better over the past seven years."

More Spads

More than 400 people were injured in the crash on 5 October, 1999.

Thames Trains and Railtrack were both criticised in a subsequent public inquiry report by Lord Cullen.

Thames Trains pleaded guilty to health and safety offences in relation to the 1999 crash and was fined £2m in April 2004.

Meanwhile, the Office of Rail Regulation said the number of Spads this summer had risen compared with last summer.

There were 94 on Britain's mainline railways from July to September this year - eight more than in the same period last year, it said.

The ORR said the rise was "possibly connected with exceptionally high temperatures".

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”