Bridgesounds

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

MJS
Director
Director

Post by MJS »

Wow, I'm amazed... that was quick. Is it trainsets that have the sounds, bridgesets, or rather TTDPatch in general?
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Technically any grf file can define them. But it makes most sense for bridge sets to define the sounds, except for TTD's built-in bridges which would need a separate file of course.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
MJS
Director
Director

Post by MJS »

In addition to the above suggestion: trains do not slow down before they enter a bridge. Especially with a wooden bridge this leads to something quite like an emergency break (under which the bridge would collapse, I feel - does anyone know wheather breaking on a bridge exerts an extra force on the bridge?). Since trains slow down before crossings... could they also slow down before entering a bridge? And while entering a depot, maybe?
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

in theory, using friction between train and bridge (ie braking normall on the bridge) would exhert lateral force (in direction of travel of train) on said bridge
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

MJS wrote:does anyone know wheather breaking on a bridge exerts an extra force on the bridge?
In which direction?

Yes, there's force generated by braking, but it's a horizontal force, not a vertical force, and I would not be at all surprised if the vast majority of that force is absorbed by the rails, not the bridge proper.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
MJS
Director
Director

Post by MJS »

Hm, yes, that sounds appealing. I was thinking of the old problem of the bridge that could exactly hold a man of 80 kilos - but not if he would jump. But of course, as trains don't move vertically, nothing should be the case here.

What about the slowing down before entering a bridge? Anyone second me on that, by any chance?

Return to “Suggestions”