Summary of desired updates

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

My suggestions:

- Edit tracks in underground mode by right clicking on track like in above ground mode. Right now it destroys the building thats on top.
- "Undo" button to remove last built thing - primarily for signs as tracks already have that.
- Auto sign placement every X tiles where track allows.
- Popup warning if a train makes no money for more then 1 year or cannot find its destination.
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

I would also like to see these new industries added, but perhaps thats something for an expansion pack:

- Uranium Mine and Nuclear Power Plant
- Waste Incinerator (Haul waste from cities to Incinerator)
- Recycling Centre (Haul waste from cities to Recycling Center, Haul Recycled Materials to Factory, Haul Goods to City)
- Banks! I miss my armored vehicles :)
- Weapons Factory (requires Steel, will deliver to Military Base)
- Military Base (accepts Weapons, Mail and Passengers)

Nuclear Power Plants should begin appearing in 1950, Recycling Centres should begin appearing in 1980.

A Recycling Centre wille effectively still burn 50% of the trash (since not everything is recyclable), but will convert the other 50% to Recyclable Materials for shipping to a factory where it can be converted to goods.

Weapons Factories and Military Bases could receive a production bonus in times of war. First periods that spring to mind are of course 1914-1918, 1939-1945, and 1968-1974 - perhaps even 1990-1992.

Times of war could also be randomized, perhaps 3 times every 100 years, lasting a period of 1 to 3 years game time. This could be an interresting game feature. The markets for consumergoods, paper, lumber, and passengers with the exception of military bases will get a 50% penalty as where weapons, steel, oil, coal, iron will get a 50% bonus.

War could also bring disasters. Oil Rigs and Refineries as well as Weapons Factories are among the first obvious targets of any war, and could be damaged or destroyed (but built up again after time).

Another interesting game feature (if banks and armored vehicles would come back) are train heists. Heists have been succesfully pulled off until the 70ties, and in some countries they still happen. The biggest succesfull heist was of course the one in England, 1963.

I think all of these take some serious programming though, and probably better suited in an expansion rather then a patch.
anticasper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by anticasper »

One more thing I would like to build and renew trains while paused!

Now I can only build while time is going by.
Cataleptic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cataleptic »

What I'd like to see is some attempt at simulating demand-side economics... but nothing *too* detailed, as it would, IMHO, hurt the game's character and fun-content.

I think each consumer needs an internal counter of how much of each commodity they have, which decreases over time. If it's below some nominal capacity, they pay 100% of the going rate to top it up. If their stockpile is greater than what they want, the return decreases on a sliding scale down to, say 50%. That way, there's no reward for deliberate starvation, and you don't get completely shafted if there *is* only one power station and 10 coalmines on the map.

While I'm at it, I think the problem of passengers who want to go through 1 or more stations before arriving at their final destination will never happen, and shouldn't happen. It'd over-complicate things, and probably blow out the game's memory usage (SimCity4 anyone?). When a train carrying passengers stops at a station, a certain percentage of passengers should stay on the train. That percentage would be larger if the train was returning to where it had just come from, or if there is a big difference between the size of the next town and the current one. This would effectively simulate commuters, daytrippers and passengers skipping stations without taxing the game's resources.
babs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by babs »

An autosave function would be nice. I had a crash to desktop yesterday and had to go 12 years back to my last save.

Also: trains should not be able to break down when stopped. Multiheaded trains are a pain in the ass when low on reliability: almost impossible to remove.
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

I'm quite annoyed with train crashes after having messed around with junctions. Couldn't there simply be a message box saying "You can't change tracks here right now, the approaching train might crash"?
Ralph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ralph »

Make the random map generator a bit better, right now all you get is rectangle hills and costlines. It should attempt to smooth the landscape out a bit. TTD was better then it is now.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Cataleptic wrote:While I'm at it, I think the problem of passengers who want to go through 1 or more stations before arriving at their final destination will never happen, and shouldn't happen. It'd over-complicate things, and probably blow out the game's memory usage (SimCity4 anyone?).
SimuTrans uses passangers with destinations. Easy fast and fun.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Uwe wrote:I'm quite annoyed with train crashes after having messed around with junctions. Couldn't there simply be a message box saying "You can't change tracks here right now, the approaching train might crash"?
I wouldn't like that, I frequently modify junctions when a train is approaching (because they always approach from so far away...), but if you're quick it's possible to do it without a crash.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

I would love to see more American locos, and British Narrow Gauge..
rllercstr7
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rllercstr7 »

I have an idea for train servicing. Simply have some maintnance building avaliable you can play next to any station. Whenever a train stops at a stattion with a maint building it is serviced. What do u guys think? :)
subzero
Engineer
Engineer

Post by subzero »

I would definitely not like to see a popup box with a question whenever you are laying track and are destroying buildings...

Destroying one or two buildings has zero impact on the game play... they get rebuilt on another spot. It also seems to have none of very little impact on the economics of the game.

One thing that frustrates the life out of me is that factories and natural resources seem to be so far apart from eachother. Even so far you cannot reach them without laying a tunnel from the left edge to the right edge of the map... LOL....

Two of the big scenarios I played I didn't even bother transporting resources and still ended up way on top!!! hmm...
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

the reliability thing is extremely frustrating: either

1) Allow service depots to increase reliability, or

2) Autorenew vehicles when reliability drops below: (set value in percents)
Or at least give warning message. Which would look like this:
Vehicle 15's reliability has dropped below 15%. Replace vehicle OR Replace with a different (newer) type OR give warning later (when reliability drops x (5=default) more percent.

3) Or, when renewing vehicles like buses or trams, maintain their location, so that you don't have to guess, where does it belong, when placing it back.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

I would also love to see following

A)When "hide Foreground Scenery and buildings" is on, and also "underground view" is on, the game will not even attempt to remove scenery or buildings, only removes things underground.

B)Make it possible to drop train next to wagon on track and automatically add the wagon to the train(shunting yards in mind).

C)let people build scenery(like Fences you can lay around in Scenario editor)

D)Add in Switch in Scenario Editor Concerning Artificial Intelligence(i.e AI) "Disable Eny Cheats/Extra's for AI Opponents", that disables all advantanges the AI Got over player(i.e ground reserving for track building, eny rating cheats etc.)

E)Gold Mines and Banks, Lets Face it, There are countries where gold is mined(Mine for Example, wich is Finland). So Why Not Add Gold Mine Industry and Banks, and Armored Trucks and armored train cars?Would add completely new way of making money, and i bet many old TTD players would love it.
chriz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chriz »

How about we have two categories of wanted updates

eg: essential updates
and other updates
b2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by b2 »

Colonel32 wrote:the reliability thing is extremely frustrating: either

1) Allow service depots to increase reliability, or

2) Autorenew vehicles when reliability drops below: (set value in percents)
Or at least give warning message. Which would look like this:
Vehicle 15's reliability has dropped below 15%. Replace vehicle OR Replace with a different (newer) type OR give warning later (when reliability drops x (5=default) more percent.

3) Or, when renewing vehicles like buses or trams, maintain their location, so that you don't have to guess, where does it belong, when placing it back.
I think it's fair to say that we don't want to manage reliability on a per-vehicle basis. We should be able to modify the per-vehicle-type monthly running cost in the build vehicle window - adding money will improve reliability of all the vehicles of that type by slowing the rate of failure/aging. Reducing the running cost will cause reliability to degrade faster than normal. That would give us enough control without having to plan maintenance into the track layout - a pain in TTD that I always turned off by disallowing breakdowns.

The problem with 3 is that the new vehicle is empty and/or for wagons some are empty and some aren't. Putting the vehicle back may or may not be what you want to do. The code can't read your mind.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

I forgot one thing, i would love to be able individually paint every single car in trains, or individually livery each truck, plane, ship. I know you can already set liveries for certain vehicle types, but ya can't do it individually wich makes some choices of Locos bad :(
dizcon
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dizcon »

Yeah, I want that too.. individual liveries for train sets, etc.

I'm also missing a feeder-service that works independently of whether the target station accepts the cargo or not.
chuenlee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chuenlee »

I would like to have the option to:

1. Buy up another competitor's company (just like TTD);
2. Issue bonds to borrow money;
3. Create a new town;

--C--
Teeif
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Teeif »

*) Shipping AI is retarded. Ships can only travel horizontally and vertically, not diagnally! Ships will only plot courses in straight lines! So they get stuck in rivers and behind peninsulers. It's fine for the player, we can use waypoints, but just looks stupid when the computer companies get ships stuck.

*) Bring back Death numbers in crashes! along with the drop in local authority favour. Will even be better IF one of you super capacity trains dies... :twisted:

*) Bring back the ability to run over trucks! Now trains just run straight through them which is silly. IF the computer decides to break down on MY track I want to have a small number of deaths pop up on my screen!

*) Stop the computer building roads in diagnals with curved road peices, you can't build track over them and they make huge inpassable lines on the ground. Alternatively let me build across them!

*) Limit those stone bridges!!! For me this is the biggest grip of the game. It looks really stupid and is really annoying when the computer AI builds huge amounts of tracks in the sky over cites, in the sea and over mountains. I don't do it cos it looks unrealistic. Heck I could build WHOLE networks underground or in the sky but I don't cos it looks crap, the computer shouldn't either.
As for a solution, perhaps you could limit the height of STONE (and STEEL/WOOD) bridges to 2 or 3 height levels (20-30m?) above the ground, then you would HAVE to follow the contour of the ground and you can't build stupid things above cites and in the sea! Other bridges will continue to have their height allownces since they can only go straight!

*) Mail should only be generated when cites in the locale can accept them. Who the hell writes letters when no-one will take it?

*) (WISH) Monorails and maglev - or is this destined for an expansion?

Frankly this game seems rushed or the playtesters are incompetent.

Return to “General Locomotion”