Android port

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Hellou
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Android port

Post by Hellou »

So i have tried latest port and i runs very slowly for me. Previous build from market was just fine :) (Im on old Nexus7)

Also because im playing with mouse attached, the bigger buttons doesnt really matter for me. Cant there be option to change size of them on fly? That would be cool :)
And in game where is option to quit or save game? I just cant see it :D

But thanks for the hard work, it is very appreciated.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Oh well, it seems like I'll have to resurrect the 'openttd-lowmem' variant for low-end devices, with 8bpp blitter and fixed fonts, and I very much want to avoid that. And I definitely do not want to create separate build for tablets with mouse.
There's no possibility to change button size on the fly - you'll need to edit openttd.cfg and change parameters min_button_size and min_step_size.
Hellou
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hellou »

and i thought, that nexus 7 will run it just fine even on highest settings :)
ok thank for the info, will try to do that in config
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

I've created a 'lowmem' version of OpenTTD, for older/slower devices, download it here.
It has 16bpp color depth, 8bpp blitter, fixed fonts, no right-to-left language support, and no music, but the screen resolution is still 854x480, because of bigger buttons.
It will copy your savegames from regular OpenTTD when you launch it.
Hellou
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hellou »

nice, works perfectly now.
one last question, where is the button to save, load, etc? or do i have to enable it in config somehow?
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Press circle with arrows (4th button from the right) to switch toolbar, then press diskette icon, and drag down to select save or load.
Hellou
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hellou »

How the hell i didnt notice that.
Thanks for the help with my noobish question.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Well, I've published 1.4.0 release with all UI changes to Google Play. Let's see user responses.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Significantly better. The one big issue still is panning the map while using the building tools - single-finger obviously won't work, and with two-finger scrolling, I find it nearly impossible to avoid building at least one piece of track/road/whatever when starting to scroll. A workaround is using "Tap or hold" with the minimum (0.3 second) timeout for left-clicking, but that's a bit annoying when you're moving windows etc.
The NewGRF window looks a bit weird in-game:
Screenshot_2014-04-03-01-22-47.png
(370.24 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
And I wish the bottom bar were narrower to give tall windows some more room.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

maybe window interaction and map interaction should be handled separately, so they could be assigned to different gestures?
gazzari
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gazzari »

I have been loving the new android app. Today there was an update that wrecked everything. There is so much space around all the text that most of the windows go off screen and are inaccessible. At any usable resolution. -Its back to pc until this can be fixed.
gazzari
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gazzari »

Did some playing with the cfg file and got it usable.

Changed settings. ..

small_size = 12 (was 10)
medium_size = 14 (was 12)
large_size = 16

min_button_size = 20 (was 40)
min_step_size = 20 (was 40)

There is still the graph window which is too wide.

The great change grf in game always raises its head. It needs to be an option or make big gui not a grf. So many times I download a game or move one from my pc and I have to edit grf settings in a saved game.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

gazzari wrote:There is so much space around all the text that most of the windows go off screen and are inaccessible.
Where? Could you please do some screenshots?
The one big issue still is panning the map while using the building tools - single-finger obviously won't work
I think the best solution for scrolling will be to implement active window borders, so that wnen you're touching the screen near the edge, the map will scroll instead of building things there. I'll try to implememt that on a few weeks.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

New update on Google Play, with scrolling by touching screen edge enabled, and a fix to NewGRF in-game window.
Please report all other UI bugs (with screenshots if possible).

Double-post yay.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

pelya wrote:New update on Google Play, with scrolling by touching screen edge enabled, and a fix to NewGRF in-game window.
Please report all other UI bugs (with screenshots if possible).
Thanks, we appreciate your efforts. :)
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

scrolling by touching screen edge enabled
Seems a bit too complicated to me. Just use a "tap or hold" timeout that leaves enough time to place a second finger before a left click is registered, but not more, and ideally only apply it when touching the map area (as Eddi suggested).

Oh, and the updated version just kept crashing until I forced the data files to be redownloaded.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

oberhümer wrote:
scrolling by touching screen edge enabled
Seems a bit too complicated to me. Just use a "tap or hold" timeout that leaves enough time to place a second finger before a left click is registered, but not more, and ideally only apply it when touching the map area (as Eddi suggested).
Well, for me right click with two fingers seems to be more complicated than touching screen border, which is by coincidence the same gesture to scroll map in almost all PC strategy games.
It won't build anything when you touching screen border, and it only scrolls map when you are touching the map, not clicking the dialog.

BTW new release on Google Play - now you can configure size of buttons and fonts from game menu, now at least some users will stop complaining about update that broke everything :roll:
macsnail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by macsnail »

Hello,

Nice that Open ttd on Android is working again. When I select the touchscreen mode to "confirm" before e.g. building a railway station I get a white field "proposal". But I do not manage to finally built the station. What do I need to do in order to "confirm" ? Can Anyone help?

Thank's in advance :D

By the way is there a location where the touchscreen operations are somehow described?
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

'Confirm' mode is broken currently, and disabled by default.
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

hm i think an "old" nexus7 is not a low-end android device. Low-End android devices are android phones imho.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”