[OTTD] BRTrains - Development Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] BRTrains - A British Railways Set in NML

Post by Doorslammer »

Leanden wrote:I am not a pixel artis not are any of the pixel artists from BROS still involved in the project, i am merely using thise graphics which were available for the original set.
Not strictly true, I just haven't had any thoughts on other stock that would grab my interest just yet. Japan stock just grabbed me out of the blue like that, in model and pixel form. :]
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Doorslammer wrote:
Leanden wrote:I am not a pixel artis not are any of the pixel artists from BROS still involved in the project, i am merely using thise graphics which were available for the original set.
Not strictly true, I just haven't had any thoughts on other stock that would grab my interest just yet. Japan stock just grabbed me out of the blue like that, in model and pixel form. :]
Get drawing then you filthy animal!! :P
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

The Growl wrote:I am new, but not new to the game. I will be conservative with my criticism. Honestly, aside from the steamers and shunters, HSTs and etc look awful from the front. I know it's a realistic birds eye view, but it really doesn't look nice, or like a HST. I think UKRS2 did a better job. I really liked BROS, and when I found out this was being made by a the same team, I was thrilled. But please, fix the HSTs. And another thing. My LNERs do not want to accelerate with just a couple of coaches. Is the realistic setting getting in the way of this?
I've loaded your save game and as i suspected you are using an older version of BRTrains, v0.6.0

Upgrade to the latest version and the acceleration issue will go away :)
Last edited by Leanden on 31 May 2016 10:03, edited 2 times in total.
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

loving the work your doing on this. the crazy amount of variation will make this a set I will turn to time and again.
All my projects are GPLv2 License.

Dutch landmark Object Set Workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75071
My stations workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74749
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

I realise now what everyone was saying about the LNER coaches, the reason these are limited to 70mph is because that was the maximum speed that LNER would allow for standard passenger services on their networks. Non-passenger services were allowed to travel up to 80mph while the tracks themselves were rated at a top speed of 90mph.

The LNER A4 was the fastest ever steam train to run at 125mph and the centre bearing of the train was completely wrecked, meaning it had to be towed from Peterborough to Kings Cross by another loco.

Highest possible speed doesn't always mean normal running speed ;)
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

v0.1.2 Uploaded:
  • Further Alignment Issues Corrected.
  • Loading Speed Corrected on HST and Sprinters
If anyone notices any alignment issues can you please uploaded a fully zoomed in screenshot here so i can make the relevant adjustments to the templates.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Leanden, it's brilliant to see a British train set that includes all the liveries finally build up a head of steam! I can't wait for this to be finished; of course, it will take a while, but that's understandable given the massive size of the task you have left yourself!
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Pilot wrote:Leanden, it's brilliant to see a British train set that includes all the liveries finally build up a head of steam! I can't wait for this to be finished; of course, it will take a while, but that's understandable given the massive size of the task you have left yourself!
Thanks Pilot, first things first I will get all the trains i already have graphics for and then i'll balance them.
The Growl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by The Growl »

Leanden wrote: I've loaded your save game and as i suspected you are using an older version of BRTrains, v0.6.0

Upgrade to the latest version and the acceleration issue will go away :)
Often I am rather good with tech things, but I really have no idea how to upgrade. From in game I've done it from the online content list, and in new grf settings clicked upgrade on my preset but it seems to have no effect on any of it. Could you help?
The Growl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by The Growl »

TheAmir259 wrote: I couldn't really find the steam locomotives of BRTrains because I could hardly recognize which one is from BRTrains whilst I've recognized only the UKRS & UKRS2 steam locomotives, so not even did i found BROS ones on the list but i did saw the UKRS2's HST and yeah, most of their trains were very accurately painted, but they still will want to follow company colors, like for example the APT whilst the BROS ones don't have company colors and it makes it more realistic. I love the APT more and am a fan of it so I didn't really pay close attention to the HST modeled for BRTrains.
There are parameters for changing the livery settings, albeit slightly limited.

JamesP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JamesP »

Leanden wrote:v0.1.2 Uploaded:
If anyone notices any alignment issues can you please uploaded a fully zoomed in screenshot here so i can make the relevant adjustments to the templates.
Thanks for the update Leanden.

The loading/unloading speeds are much better, but still a little slow.

It now takes 10 days to fully unload/reload a class 150 or 158.

I think part of the reason may be that your train capacities are much higher than UKRS2 capacities. Your 150 carries 227, where as the UKRS2 one holds 105 (in 3 cars). Your capacity is actually more realistic, but because it's much higher it probably needs the loading/unloading speed to be faster in order to give comparable dwell times.

Ideally the 150 would load/unload a bit quicker than the 158, as in real life - but I'm being picky now! :)
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

JamesP wrote:

I think part of the reason may be that your train capacities are much higher than UKRS2 capacities. Your 150 carries 227, where as the UKRS2 one holds 105 (in 3 cars). Your capacity is actually more realistic, but because it's much higher it probably needs the loading/unloading speed to be faster in order to give comparable dwell times.

Ideally the 150 would load/unload a bit quicker than the 158, as in real life - but I'm being picky now! :)
Im quite happy with the loading speeds atm but will test further, the 150 and 158 are the same speed but faster than the HSTs as theh have double sliding doors whereas the HST is slam doors.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

The Growl wrote:
TheAmir259 wrote: I couldn't really find the steam locomotives of BRTrains because I could hardly recognize which one is from BRTrains whilst I've recognized only the UKRS & UKRS2 steam locomotives, so not even did i found BROS ones on the list but i did saw the UKRS2's HST and yeah, most of their trains were very accurately painted, but they still will want to follow company colors, like for example the APT whilst the BROS ones don't have company colors and it makes it more realistic. I love the APT more and am a fan of it so I didn't really pay close attention to the HST modeled for BRTrains.

I cant see your image, as for the upgrade however, once you have clicked upgrade you must click apply in the bottom right or it wont update midgame.
NoMorePacers
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by NoMorePacers »

I know this is probably a stupid question, but where could I download this?
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

When you open Openttd, click "Check Online Content" on the main menu and search for BRTrains.
The Growl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by The Growl »

Leanden wrote:
The Growl wrote:

I cant see your image, as for the upgrade however, once you have clicked upgrade you must click apply in the bottom right or it wont update midgame.
I did click apply, although nothing actually happened.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Did the name of the grf in the list change to show new version number?
JamesP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JamesP »

Leanden wrote:
JamesP wrote:

Im quite happy with the loading speeds atm but will test further, the 150 and 158 are the same speed but faster than the HSTs as theh have double sliding doors whereas the HST is slam doors.
Fair enough, thanks Leanden. Keep up the good work!
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

A behaviour i have noticed which im trying to correct is that load and unload are running seperately but im going to try and make it so that they happen together so it halves the time.
The Growl
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by The Growl »

Leanden wrote:Did the name of the grf in the list change to show new version number?
Yes, however, when I got into game and checked the depots, I saw nothing more than shunters, and LNERs.

Return to “Graphics Development”