Help!! TTDX Configurator Hangs AND I Don't Know Why.

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

SpecterFan
Engineer
Engineer

Help!! TTDX Configurator Hangs AND I Don't Know Why.

Post by SpecterFan »

I've got a problem that I could use your help with.

Before I go any further, let me apologize if I am posting in the wrong place. Being a "newbie", I humbly ask for the "court's" understanding in this matter. (So much for groveling.)

I am trying to use the TTDX Configurator which I downloaded from Andres TTD Solutions. Every time I have tried to use it, it "hangs". I then get a message that it is not responding.

As of this point I've tried so many ways of resolving this problem that I can't remember them all. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SpecterFan
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Help!! TTDX Configurator Hangs AND I Don't Know Why.

Post by DaleStan »

Most likely, it's hanging because it's TTDXC.

Try TTDPC instead.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
SpecterFan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SpecterFan »

I take it you are not fond of TTDXC? Is there something about it that a "newbie" such as myself should know.

SpecterFan
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Mostly, it's Andrex's bug handling procedures. If something goes wrong, it is always your fault.

Most notably, for at least three years running: If you open a TTDPatch-generated configuration file in TTDXC, and TTDCX doesn't read the file properly, that's your fault. Or maybe TTDPatch's fault. But there's no possible way that something might be wrong with TTDXC.

For slightly less long, TTDXC would modify your config when it opened it. Often (see above) to something functionally different than it was before you started TTDXC. If your config was, for whatever reason, read-only, TTDXC would fail to open it, in ways that were spectacularly non-obvious. Neither of these were bugs, and the latter was deemed sufficiently well documented once I'd made the bug report.

In general, TTDXC was guaranteed to correctly read config files generated by TTDXC. Valid configuration files[0] generated by any other tool (including TTDPatch) might be read correctly, but if that didn't work, it was your own stupid fault for trying something silly like that in the first place.

That's the biggest family of bugs, but there was definitely another bug family that made it impossible to turn certain features on or off, despite the ostensible "This space for any configuration that is not available elsewhere" feature.

These bugs may or may not have been fixed. After reporting the same set of bugs in every version for three years running, I gave up. If you want support for TTDXC, you'll have to contact Andrex personally; we no longer support TTDXC here.

[0] i.e. Configuration files that TTDPatch accepts.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Dave

Post by Dave »

In summary:

Andrex is an egotistical tosser who thinks his program is perfect.

*Examples of where you might be entitled to think there was a problem with the program but Andrex disagrees - meaning you get no support and the bug doesn't get fixed*

TTDP developers do NOT support TTDXC due to this.

Use TTDPC instead.

I know DaleStan likes his posts to be read but since you're a newbie, I'll let you off. Once.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
SpecterFan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SpecterFan »

Thanks for the replies. That clears up a few things.

I've run into that attitude more than once. All I can say is that in my fifty-plus years I have found one thing to be true - NOTHING IS EVER TOTALLY PERFECT. I feel that if an individual takes the time to report a potential problem OR ask for help of some type, the author should do their best to help in some way. No one should be treated poorly because they're having a problem.

In my case I have a "problem" which makes dealing with some programs far more difficult than others. TTDXC looked promising because of its interface. That probably sounds strange but that's it in a nutshell. Suggestions are always welcome.
Dave

Post by Dave »

SpecterFan wrote:Thanks for the replies. That clears up a few things.

I've run into that attitude more than once. All I can say is that in my fifty-plus years I have found one thing to be true - NOTHING IS EVER TOTALLY PERFECT. I feel that if an individual takes the time to report a potential problem OR ask for help of some type, the author should do their best to help in some way. No one should be treated poorly because they're having a problem.

In my case I have a "problem" which makes dealing with some programs far more difficult than others. TTDXC looked promising because of its interface. That probably sounds strange but that's it in a nutshell. Suggestions are always welcome.
If I may interject.... In my opinion (and it is only an opinion which I am stating), TTDPC is much more concise and intuitive than TTDXC.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for being nice and offering both programs a fair crack of the whip, but AndersI will respond to every problem you have promptly and concisely. Andrex just blames it on everyone else.

It's your choice of course, but as DaleStan said, this forum endorses TTDPC ;)
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

In case you haven't already found it, you can get TTDPC here: http://www.ttdpatch.net/tools.html

Discussion thread (questions, bug reports etc.): http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=26352

The main design ideas behind TTDPC was

- it should never be outdated (as TTDPatch can write a file with all the switches, their definition and description, and TTDPC can read that)
- no time spent on making it 'pretty' (I needed a quick and easy program for myself)
- it will only be a configuration program, nothing else. Period.
SpecterFan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SpecterFan »

Ooops!!

Methinks I may have ruffled a feather or two. If so, my sincerest of apologies. I was just up on my soapbox too long and the air thinned out a bit too much. I just have a very strong opinion concerning the value of every question irregardless of what others may think of that question.

As to the two programs.....

They are both excellent. It's just that "the old organ in the attic" seems to gravitate towards one over the other. I do the same thing with RPGs - regardless of whether I'm running or playing. I always try to find a program to write things up versus paper and pencils.

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”