Idea: AI Prior Start

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Zutty
Director
Director

Idea: AI Prior Start

Post by Zutty »

Hi all,

Here's a quick and possibly rubbish idea that I haven't researched! I'm sure someone else has thought of this before me, but I can't remember anyone making a topic about it. I generally have a bad track record with ideas like this, but what else is a forum for if not to allow the uninformed to spout random nonsense! ;)

Do you think it would be fun for players if the AI could start X number of years before they do? This would give an additional challenge to players and perhaps make the game feel a bit more realistic.

The game would start at the year the player specifies minus the maximum number of years any AI will start prior to the player (e.g. 1950 - 5 years prior start = start without human player in 1945). The game would then be run without a UI and without pauses (AIController.Sleep()) and opcode limits (to a degree) for X years and then continue as normal when the human player's company is founded.

I have no idea how fast this process could be made though. It might not be possible to speed things up much more than they can be now. Certainly a loading time of several minutes will be unacceptable to all but the most patient, saint-like players! I imagine mileage will also vary significantly based on the different machines that people use. I'm quote spoilt with my very recent desktop machine, but those playing on old laptops or worse, those using Symbian or iPhone ports may be unable to use such functionality acceptably.

Still though I think this could potentially be a nice feature for those able to run it.

I'm not demanding that anyone write a patch for this... its just an idea. Thoughts?
PathZilla - A networking AI - Now with tram support.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Idea: AI Prior Start

Post by planetmaker »

Zutty wrote:Do you think it would be fun for players if the AI could start X number of years before they do?
Well, it's easy as pie: Start the game and the AIs and just wait the desired time :) - you may even switch on fast forward :)
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

You will still lose $600/year and the interest on a $20,000 loan. If you make the start late enough, you may even need to take out another loan, incurring more interest. And you have to be there to stop the game at the right time. So yes, that idea does most of what's wanted, but there are some minor issues.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Ever considered repaying your loan at 1th of Jan of your first year? Solves the loan interest problem in general ... (even more as you can't really go bankrupt in Single Player). Leaves you with only a very small amount of negative balance.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Then start a dedicated server, let it run for x years, and then join as a player.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

TrueBrain wrote:Ever considered repaying your loan at 1th of Jan of your first year? Solves the loan interest problem in general ... (even more as you can't really go bankrupt in Single Player). Leaves you with only a very small amount of negative balance.
Yes, I did consider that, but you still get charged the $600/yr. Last I knew, having a negative cash balance at the end of 2 consecutive years (or was it months) meant you were bankrupt (so that's where the $20,000 loan came from). I didn't know you couldn't go bankrupt though. So yes, the loan interest is a non-issue, but you still lose $600/yr.
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

I really liked the 2 pre played scenarios in the original game and if we can make a way of having an unlimited supply of different games like that.

I seem to remember the scotland one had major problems - i think the AI started removing the tracks from its brilliant network :lol:

Lordmwa
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timmaexx »

Yeah something like MegaRail 1960 !
This would be more than great.

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”