Project: Economy and Balancing

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Project: Economy and Balancing

Post by athanasios »

DaleStan wrote:Then write a GRF.
DaleStan are you asleep on top of the keyboard again? :lol: In this thread we are discussing about Economy and Balancing or am I wrong? Many issues are brought on the table. Whoever has an itch to fix something in a temporary way immediately, is free to do so. Me no.
Celestar wrote: 10.1.3 Coal, Oil, Grain, Wood, Ore, Steel, Paper, Rubber, Maze
Bulk freight whose ratings do not depend on frequency and velocity. Once delivered to a station, they will patiently wait until collected.
It is MY turn to get the flamethrower! :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Xaykev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xaykev »

I really like this project.
When will it be finished :wink:
Only kidding, but I would really like to play
the game with all these great features.
And let's hope the planes will get MUCH more expensive!
CARST
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by CARST »

Just two question ...

1) has the programming already begun?

2) and when yes, what is the status? (% finished)

I know, these are the questions no programming team wants to hear (here read), but i think it's the most important project for TT since the release of OpenTTD with 2048x2048-maps. Aircraft are much to mighty, when we play multiplayer no one builds anything else than aircraft and airports.

Regards,
CARST
Playing TT & TTD since 1995 - Will satisfy the Megalomaniac in everyone!

Click here to see all my maps!
Highlights:
CarstsEuropeScenario based on SRTM-Data (Redo planned)
CarstsWorldScenario based on satellite heightmap
CarstsGermanyScenario coming soon...
CarstsBerlinBburgScenario planned...
moewe2
Engineer
Engineer

Answer to Chapter 10.4)

Post by moewe2 »

How to increase [global] ratings apart from building trees?
There are several options:
  • Successful achievement of subsidies will increase the rating
  • Connecting oil rigs will increase the rating due to national importance
  • Accidents will lower the rating (depending on traffic deaths)
  • Just an Idea: Create the possibility of advertising in newspaper - would be funny in multiplayer games and could increase rating
  • Average of reliability of all machines could affect rating
  • Growth of company value could affect rating (it's even harder if you are in trouble, but that's life at a corporation)
Qu@rks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Qu@rks »

As people have said before, I think bus capacities should be increased. Furthermore, different types of buses should be introduced, e.g. local, regional, and long distance for example. Local buses usually have a higher capacity than long distance buses (up to 150 passengers). The 40 passengers that are the maximum right now seem ridiculous compared to real buses.

Secondly (I don't know if this is a good idea though), airports are usually not owned by companies but by cities or even countries. Implementing something like this would enable different companies to use the same airport. Funding an airport in a city could give a company an advantage regarding the number of planes they are allowed to operate from and to the airport.

Oh and btw: hub airports are rare. There are far more national/continental airports in the world so their number should be restricted.

Last but not least, there should be more planes that have small chance of crashing at a commuter airport. Otherwise that type of airport ist pretty much obsolete.

And thirdly, town rating should not decrease upon building a station in the city just because it kills 10 squares of trees. It should only decrease if trees are removed with no purpose. Many towns or cities would be glad to have a railstation and they would welcome any company to build it regardless of a few trees being "killed"...

Other than that the ideas in the pdf sound wonderful to me. Keep up the work :)
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Qu@rks wrote:Last but not least, there should be more planes that have small chance of crashing at a commuter airport. Otherwise that type of airport ist pretty much obsolete.
I don't agree. Commuter shouldn't get obsolete. Large planes crash in small airports. This could be enhanced.

Qu@rks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Qu@rks »

Then how would you explain that Darwin 200 (B737) cannot land (or let's say only with a high risk of crashing) at a commuter airport? They don't need long runways (<2000m is fine).
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Sorry, misunderstood your statement.

RMJ
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RMJ »

Sounds interesting, but i still hope the arcade (or normal Openttd gameplay) will survive.

But as big as this project is, it might be an idea to really keep it simple at take one thing at a time. A LOT of smaller projects for openttd have failed thru the time :P

but GL on the project =)
Feel free to join my server on 90.185.50.242. its coop, meaning 1 company to dominate the whole map :) its more random and not as pro as the Openttd Coop guys.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Qu@rks wrote:And thirdly, town rating should not decrease upon building a station in the city just because it kills 10 squares of trees. It should only decrease if trees are removed with no purpose. Many towns or cities would be glad to have a railstation and they would welcome any company to build it regardless of a few trees being "killed"...
This could be abused - you build huge station, then bulldoze it. Trees are all away. I think the rating still should go down, but less. Or add town rating points for constructiong a station - so this will weight out the tree bulldozing. For demolishing station, negative points (same amount, perhaps small bit higher, as you get from that station being constructed) will be awarded to prevent exploits, perhaps also limit this create/bulldoze bonus only to first 3 stations.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Qu@rks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Qu@rks »

Yeah Bilbo, this was basically what I was thinking of :)
Deus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Deus »

how about just disabling the airport coverage area. this way you have to bring people to the airport by the bus or trains. that makes airplanes much more diffficult
frankdoom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by frankdoom »

Deus wrote:how about just disabling the airport coverage area. this way you have to bring people to the airport by the bus or trains. that makes airplanes much more diffficult
well... I dunno in other countries but here in italy most people get to the airport by car :P
Wh1sp3r
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wh1sp3r »

Hi guys, I just joined and wanted to add my 2 cents...
Great project by the way!
frankdoom wrote:
Deus wrote:how about just disabling the airport coverage area. this way you have to bring people to the airport by the bus or trains. that makes airplanes much more diffficult
well... I dunno in other countries but here in italy most people get to the airport by car :P
How about raising airplane running costs and airport maintenance fees to lower profits?
RFHolloway
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RFHolloway »

What about decreasing the value of a cargo depending upon the number of units delivered in the previous month (i.e. the more you deliver, the less is paid) This would encourage spreading the destination of cargos around (which improves gameplay) and also the more that is deposited in a particular location the less overall revenue is generated (which slows the runaway aspect of the game)
G4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by G4 »

page 9 end comment(3)Road building not added because players will flood towns with roads otherwise
An idea - cities and global government raise ratings (maybe even a single permanent bonus) when you create a road connection between two or more cities. Think USA highway development program.
Hopes and dreams - just at the next station
juliusvii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by juliusvii »

here are my 2cents:

Balancing the gameplay in terms of economy:
- first I have to state that I realy like this idea, and I thought about it when I played TTD.
- I read somewhere that TT is building game, at therefore it is not supposed to have economy model close to reality, but instead economy model that supports the building process. I agree only partialy, as I think that there could be a parameter "hard economy" just like game settings (easy/medium/hard)

What is "hard economy"?
- expencive terraforming, and I mean expencive with big "E". Even if you are a multimilionare you have to think if you are going to chop down the hills.
- expensive road/rail construction : this would force you to reuse the same road/rail by several vehicles/trains. Now it is about how fast can you build separate tracks for every train to minimize traffic jam, but I prefer to have more complex and sofisticated solution.
- higher road/rail maitanance costs : if one train on one track makes more money than maitanance costs of everything (rail, station, train, wagoons, and interest from loan needed to build/buy this) than there is no need for "cutting down the costs". But when you calculate that you need to have at least 3 trains on the same track to start making money, then you will probably do it.
- difference between road and rail costs - for shorter distances it should be better to use road vehicles. Together with previous two points this could lead to rail and road combination, not directly connecting everything to main rail line. The difference could be based on how fast you can get your money back from investment - prefering road building (together with city roads reussage and lower construction costs and maitanance costs of vehicle stations/depos)
- one big advantage for road transport could be made by placing roads between cities in process of map generation (random or customer made)
- airports are also problem - I read somwhere here that in multiplayer games on big maps everyone uses only air transport. We would probably have to raise costs and maitanance of airfields and airplanes even more, compared to higher rail/road costs from previous points. Also coal transport by air should be elimanated...
- ships should became an alternative to trains/airplanes in high distance transport. While not cheap to buy, they should have lower maitanance costs than planes, and virtualy no construction costs.

There are some realy interesting posts in thos thread, is there any list of sugestions with status? The .pdf file in first post is being updated?

I feel that I'm little lost here in OpenTTD, I don't understand the concept of patches. I will download and play(test) the new build and enjoy TT ;-)
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

well, as lots of theese suggestions are valid (reading the last page), there is one problem with passangers, and that is they go whereever you want them to go. If (or when) some kind of paxdest is implanted the passanger issues will be much more bearable, and smaller planes will be more used etc. The same goes with busses and such.

And regarding costs of things, like terraforming, this can be done easly with newgrf.
Member of the
ImageImage
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I really think town growth needs to be fixed, to prevent every city turning into a metropolis. Cities should be able to shrink as well as grow, and large cities should inhibit the growth of towns around them...
dmiceman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dmiceman »

Hello, all. This is just my 2 cents.

I don`t see what anyone in this topic propose taxation system. But from my point of view, it can be a most natural way for economy balance. For example, global income tax, local (town) road using tax, local land owning tax (huge for airports and some railways), etc.. If this taxes will change during time, especially per-town taxes, this will result with a very funny gameplay :-)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”